Thickest water/grain ratio for step infusion

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mkj

Reaction score
Looking at a step infusion mash, for protein rest or Hochkurz. What's roughly the thickest viable water/grain ratio for the first infusion step?

I assume it just has to be enough to wet all the grain and a bit more to let enzymes move, later steps will add enough extra water for lautering. Maybe 1.5L/kg, assuming 1.1L/kg absorption? I'll try it out but easier to plan water volumes beforehand - 20L mash tun.

I step mash in an esky via boiling water infusion. I use around 2l/kg. Works fine mate. That's mostly 2 steps, though I sometimes add a protein rest and by the time I add the water for the last step, I'm just about at total mash volume.

Check this out.

http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/43789-grain-to-water-ratio/

Absorption figures vary, but you wouldn't want to get too close to it otherwise you will open your mash tun tap and nothing will come out!!

Conversion rate will increase with less water but you'll get less fermentables. (Obviously, as you have less water).

Also depends on your system, I run a 3V RIMS, so 3 litres per kilo of grain lets my system flow well. With fly sparging this is about 50% Mash 50% sparge, gives me good efficiency.

Cheers
Matty

Latest posts

Back