Thermometer Calibration

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DEALE

Reaction score
I recently checked my glass thermometer for accuracy in boiling water. The reading was 107c. Does this mean it is 7% out? I need to check my mashmaster gauge too, can it be adjusted by the screw on the back?

Probably 7 degrees out rather than 7%. Yep, the mashmaster can be adjusted via the screw on the back. It comes with instructions on how to do so.

If you want to be really accurate when calibrating your thermometers with boiling water, make sure you take into account your height above sea level and the current atmospheric pressure. Depending on where you are, it can make a difference.

I too am looking for an acurate way to calibrate my mashmaster gauges.

I used a small digital thermometer to calibrate but i have a feeling its not quite right... :blink:

Sqyre...

I too am looking for an acurate way to calibrate my mashmaster gauges.

I used a small digital thermometer to calibrate but i have a feeling its not quite right... :blink:

Sqyre...

My small digital thermometer was the reason I went and bought a mashmaster. <_<
Someone on the southside should have a calibrated lab type one that you could borrow for a beer or two then adjust with the back screw?

I've got a glass laboratory thermometer that I use to tune up my mashmasters. I've found it's pretty darn accurate and I think it cost me about 27$USD.

Cheers,
Will

This all depends on how accurate you want to be and how capable the instrument is. Calibrating off another instrument you have at home is bogus unless that instrument has been correctly calibrated it's self. If you are serious you need to take your instruments to a lab that has certified standards to make calibrations with.

It all depends on what level of accuracy the instrument can deliver and what level you require. I would imagine that for most home brewers a boiling/freezing and comparison to a few other instruments would probably be enough. However, if you really want to hit that mash temperature you need to have this done professionally. Look around for a NATA certified lab. I don't think it will be cheap though.

Wot they said.

If you're like me (then you have my sympathies) and you are only ever going to play with a small group of brewers, it doesn't matter too much how accurate your equipment is. I would argue that for most home-craft-brewers, a degree or two here or there doesn't matter. Consistency is probably more important than small (assuming consistent) errors in measurements.

Having said that, a seven degree error at mash temperatures might make for a beer that is not quite what you wanted... <_<

Apparently the mashmaster thermometer and thermometers of that style are best calibrated toward the middle of their temperature range

Rather than at the extremities where there is an allowable margin for error

Cheers

Look around for a NATA certified lab. I don't think it will be cheap though.

I calibrate my digital thermometer at work quite frequently, well the lab staff do anyway. Normally calibrated at 20c or there abouts. There is no rocket scince involved the lab is NATA (National Association of Testing Authorities) approved and it takes only a nano second.

BYB

My chemistry thermometer is NIST traceable, and that was good enough for me. When I get farther into commercial work, I'll end up with industrial temp controllers that have NIST certificates.

Cheers,
Will

I calibrate my digital thermometer at work quite frequently, well the lab staff do anyway. Normally calibrated at 20c or there abouts. There is no rocket scince involved the lab is NATA (National Association of Testing Authorities) approved and it takes only a nano second.

BYB

Which lab, vinpac perhaps?

The glass thermometer is made by stevenson-reeves.co.uk. I will put my mashmaster fridge controller up against the glass thermometer, the mashmaster dial gauage and a digital thermometer. Maybe I can take an average and be done with it!

I am concerned that my temps are out as I'm trouble shooting a low gravity pre boil for my first Allgrain.

I Calibrate my thermometers with the boiling water and then it's worth checking them at the other end of the scale with a glass of water chocers with ice. One of my mashmaster dial thermometers is slighlty out by a deg or 2 at boiling and at freezing so I just pick the middle ground.

great thread timing! my 2nd (dropped the 1st one about 200mm and rooted!) BOC digi thermometer is reading a balmy ambient 45C on a 14C day :angry:
I'm back to using a glass and ally old fashioned thermometer.
Might have to look at some mashmaster thermos after all. And maybe a mill Brizzybrew?

Back