The Worst Beer I've Ever Tasted

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fosters.. while on an international flight to Singapore.. was all that was left on the trolley.. i lasted until the trolly came past again... and handed it back.. changed to red wine for the rest of that flight..

Stoke IPA. Hands down the worst beer I have ever tasted. Couldn't finish it. Tasted like unfermented wort. Must have finshed at about 1.040, filtered then bottled. I would drink any aussie lager, cheap american lager, anything before I drank another Stoke IPA. The McCashin family can go and get fucked!

This is actually from a Europe trip last year, but I finally found the photo:

523024_10150875027723503_1103848040_n.jpg

Worst beer I have ever had, by a country mile. Apparently an imperial pils. Tastes like you got a bottle of the cheapest whisky available, then watered it down by a third, then bottled that. Don't know how else to describe it. I couldn't taste anything but the hot alcohol, and maybe some rotten fruit. It was 12 or 13% from memory.

A case in point in how not to do a big beer.

Snow said:
I know Bum might call me out on this, but I absolutely loved it!
Different beer, mate. ;) I'll reserve my judgement as I've never had it. Any idea how they make it more "extreme" than 100%?

Good to see you're still around.

I had a beer called the Old Leg Over last weekend. Kentish Shizzle

I've heard about metallic tasting beers and had never encountered one until I drank this shite.
Tasted like the brewery had used copper shavings for dry hopping.

Never again.

VB, this was the only beer I could get a kickboxing show, it was vile I put it in the bin after one mouthful.

Carlton Cold, someone gave me a carton, it stayed in the fridge for about 3 months before I gave him them back 1 at a time.

Miller Chill. lime & salt? ffs

BUL kronenbourg, it broke my heart when I realised what I had bought.

Carlton Mid-strength

I'll stick my hand up and say the worst was my attempt at a Kronenbourg style Euro lager. Tasted nothing like Kronenbourg and I stuffed the bulk priming up as well, so it was pretty flat. I got through the batch, but could only handle two longknecks at a time.

The worst commercial beer, was out of a monthly mix case I get froma beer club I'm in. It was St Amboise Apricot Wheat Beer. There was three stubbies of it, the first I finished....just. The second I used to make some beer battered fish, and I wished I hadn't. The third is still sitting in the fridge, awaiting some poor unsuspecting fool for me to pass on to. To be fair, it's probably how it's supposed to taste and some may like it, but I don't like wheat beer, or apricots.

Flame suit on

I tried an orval a while ago.
It went something like this:

Looking forward to this...
Taste...
What the hell is that!
Taste again...
Brett! Disgusting!
Wait 5 minutes and taste again hoping it somehow tastes different.
Nope still terrible.
Tips down sink

I'm sure others love it but I'm really not a brett fan. For me, this is up there as the worst.

Everytime ive tried Bighead I never like it... Its just bad to me. Ive liked all other burleigh heads beers ive tried but this one... just no

Sail and anchors
Imperial stout Jack Tar
2 sips and poured it down the sink

I hope its not that bad, Im waiting for the local woolies(BWS) to drop the price, still $12 a bottle, I don't think they've sold 1 in about 3 months.
They constantly put the TEDlongies around it on sale.
They will get sick of it sitting there doing nothing and then I hope its not that bad.

helles said:
Sail and anchors
Imperial stout Jack Tar
2 sips and poured it down the sink
If you think of it as a bland, mass produced, 2 dimensional baltic porter, it becomes more drinkable. Just.

My worst beers are anything by Matso's. Rank.

mikk said:
My worst beers are anything by Matso's. Rank.
Their ginger beer is not bad, but I half agree. I wasn't a fan of most of theirs, even sitting in their beer garden on a sunny afternoon I was impressed.

I,d rather drink a glass of piss than have a West End Draught. My wurst ever by a long shot.

Richmond Lager..... so so shit, CUB only release it every 20 years.

koots said:
Stoke IPA. Hands down the worst beer I have ever tasted. Couldn't finish it. Tasted like unfermented wort. Must have finshed at about 1.040, filtered then bottled. I would drink any aussie lager, cheap american lager, anything before I drank another Stoke IPA. The McCashin family can go and get fucked!
Woah. Missed this gem haha!

I strongly disagree but will leave it there. I don't have shares or anything but the McCashin family have done a lot for NZ brewing over the years and they make pretty solid mega beers if we judge as that.

I have only had their KIPA from the bomber range and first up really liked it and then had another which was quite bland so have not tried again due to our ever expanding range.
For the price I stay away from their 6pks and head over for a Lion Macs HopRocker. Not a shade on the OG beer but still bloody nice.

I think all beers mentioned are head and shoulders over most poorly stored imports which tend to have a terrible metallic taste. These have been awesome enough US imports rated highly enough to go to the effort to bring over and then once opened can be near rancid.
Looking at you Mirror Pond Pale ale.

I would rather suck on POR pellets than drink another metallic disappointment.

VB is not that bad people, get over the hype.

2 worst beers I've had were my first attempts at home brewing back in high school, good lord they were bad, still punished them down in the shed before parties.

Extra Dry in stubbies, not sure if I've been unlucky each time, but I cannot seem to stand that crap as of the last few years.

Most of them 'low carb' beers are also the worst of beers in taste.

I must have had a bad bottle then. had it in a bar at Fox Glacier which was one of those Monteiths branded bars so it may even have been very old stock. Has to be the cause as no brewer, no matter where their tastes lie would have enjoyed what I drank ha.

Macs beers I quite enjoyed, the Hoprocker was a nice drop and I really liked the Sassy Red also.

stillinrehab said:
Woah. Missed this gem haha!

I strongly disagree but will leave it there. I don't have shares or anything but the McCashin family have done a lot for NZ brewing over the years and they make pretty solid mega beers if we judge as that.

I have only had their KIPA from the bomber range and first up really liked it and then had another which was quite bland so have not tried again due to our ever expanding range.
For the price I stay away from their 6pks and head over for a Lion Macs HopRocker. Not a shade on the OG beer but still bloody nice.

I think all beers mentioned are head and shoulders over most poorly stored imports which tend to have a terrible metallic taste. These have been awesome enough US imports rated highly enough to go to the effort to bring over and then once opened can be near rancid.
Looking at you Mirror Pond Pale ale.

I would rather suck on POR pellets than drink another metallic disappointment.

Back