The Worlds Biggest Kegerator?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stephenkentucky

Reaction score
well we are in the last month of building our brew pub here at Dobson's brewery, at Eastview Estate, Kentucky, New England...the problem is I have more beers than I can afford taps, I just got a quote from Andale for an 8 tap glycol system and it comes to about $14,000 with me supplying the glycol chiller, the trouble is I want to be able to have even more taps, and it does seem a lot, considering the cost of running our 3 phase glycol monobloc chiller 24/7...so dip me in guano and call me crazy, but I had an idea last night (when I was supposed to be sleeping...which explains the deep rings under my very red eyes) What if I build a long thin cool room against the wall behind the bar and just put any number of taps with flow control through the wall to the cold room and build a huge kegerator, that way I could start with maybe 10 taps and build up to any number of beers on tap. I know all the problems associated with line balance, but am hoping that flow control taps or in line flow controllers would handle the foaming issues, otherwise i think that with my current budget I will only be able to afford a 4 tap system or at the most 6 taps...I dont want to compromise, but I must be realistic about what I can afford.

So my big question is ...can I rely on flow control taps to control foaming. giving a consistant pour for our guests.

Is this idea just madness and I need a good slap about the head and to try some how to save for a bigger "real" system.

guys I am close to achieving a long held dream ....I don't want to stuff it up now...so please help if you can.

with thanks
Stephen

afterthought! .....oh and another idea was to run a thermostat controlled underfloor insulated fan forced air duct to a fridge cabinet under bar to keep my hand pumped ales (two kegs) at or about 10-12 degrees

Stephen,

Regardless of budget, it's exactly how I intend to be building my bar when I finally find a venue I'm happy with & can afford.
To me it's the most sensible way to go - So if you have any issues (though i don't think you will) please share...

Cheers Ross

A few months ago a local bowls club closed down and they sold everything. They're set up was a large square cold room surrounded on three sides with a bar and whilst they had flooded fonts on the bars they also had taps straight throughh the cold room walls. there was also glass fronted doors for bottles/tins/glasses.

By memory there were 8 taps but there was definately room for more.

Stephen,

Regardless of budget, it's exactly how I intend to be building my bar when I finally find a venue I'm happy with & can afford.
To me it's the most sensible way to go - So if you have any issues (though i don't think you will) please share...

Cheers Ross

thanks ross I know you have had a lot of experience with flow control taps, do you think they will take care of foam issues...also would you put in FOB's and if so would it be one per keg or an interchangable in line(snap in which would be attached as kegs reach their bottom runnings. as always budget is every thing... thankls so much for the input.

A few months ago a local bowls club closed down and they sold everything. They're set up was a large square cold room surrounded on three sides with a bar and whilst they had flooded fonts on the bars they also had taps straight throughh the cold room walls. there was also glass fronted doors for bottles/tins/glasses.

By memory there were 8 taps but there was definately room for more.

Thanks Roo Brew if others are doing it I guess the problems are surmountable.

Ta Stephen

thanks ross I know you have had a lot of experience with flow control taps, do you think they will take care of foam issues...also would you put in FOB's and if so would it be one per keg or an interchangable in line(snap in which would be attached as kegs reach their bottom runnings. as always budget is every thing... thankls so much for the input.

No FOB's, just direct line from coupler to wall shank. We run similar here in the brewery. The flow control will work perfectly.
Come up for a vist for a bit of R & R.

Cheers Ross

Where? When?

And how the hell will you find the time in among your other activites?!?!?!?!?

Goomba

The goal is a boutique beer bar - 50 to 100 taps. It will happen..... Better than sat at home watching telly....

The goal is a boutique beer bar - 50 to 100 taps. It will happen..... Better than sat at home watching telly....

:icon_offtopic:

You are freaking mad, (I'll be there at opening time :icon_cheers: ).
Just put it on the northside.

+1. You can appeal to beer aficionados and those people that live in my suburb (and the ones surrounding) that think they are more classy than they really are (just charge them more).

I thought Ross lived at the brewery.

Goomba

The goal is a boutique beer bar - 50 to 100 taps.

rowan_atkinson.gif

You go for it Ross, Dreams are not just for dreamin', mate they are for living.

+1 for Northside!

:icon_cheers:
EK

You'll make me a happy man if you do this in brisbane Ross!! :blink:

Latest posts

Back