The Use Of A Stir Plate

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dicko

Boston Bay Brewery
Reaction score
Hi fellow brewers,

After much procrastination I finally have got myself a stir plate.
Now I am in the process of building up some yeast for storage for future starters.

I have begun with a 1 litre of wort in a 2 litre flask with the contents of 1/4 of a smack pack of Wyeast 1275 TVA.

I have had the thing stirring away now for three hours and my question is,
how long do I run this before I will need to step this up with another litre of wort and do I need to run the stirrer all the time or only just to get the ferment started?

How do I tell when the process is finally finished?

In the past I have had an air lock fitted to the starter but now I just have some foil around the top.

Any help and info appreciated. A detailed procedure of this method would be ideal, or a link to some methods and techniques would be useful.
BTW I have done a search with no real luck.

Cheers

Thanks for that Hoges,
That was what I was looking for.
As with most things brewing there appears to be a few different methods and that article has some simple methods.
Cheers

Cool, great timing as I have just built a tight arse stir plate today and was after some info on how to best run it.

:icon_offtopic: Does anyone use Erlenmeyer flasks made from anything other than glass? I am a bit concerned about breaking them with the type of magnet I ended up using, the rattlesnake type magnets.

Crundle

those borosilicate type glass ones are fairly robust, if you are using those you shouldnt have a problem

Latest posts

Back