The Speedleroo (diy Speidel)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
looks great. I am also looking at boilding something like this. A couple of questions. Using a bag do you still get clearer wert than just using a bag? or does all the sediment still pass through into the boil?
Do you sparge at all? Ive been wondering about all these brewmiester type builds wether they get the maximum sugar from the grain. Cheers.

I get a very clear wort after about 20 mins into the mash usually a sign that the bulk of the conversion is taking place. With the pump recirculating the wort the mash acts like a big filter and no grain or sediment makes its way through the grain bag into the boil. I can get about 65% to 70% efficiency without sparging, i have a two bucket system one with holes drilled into the bottom of it , i place one inside of the other which has a tap in the bottom , i can pull the grain bag out of the kettle and put it in the sparge buckets and run some heated water on top to achieve 85% efficiency.

looks great. I am also looking at boilding something like this.
15i86ma.jpg

I get a very clear wort after about 20 mins into the mash usually a sign that the bulk of the conversion is taking place. With the pump recirculating the wort the mash acts like a big filter and no grain or sediment makes its way through the grain bag into the boil. I can get about 65% to 70% efficiency without sparging, i have a two bucket system one with holes drilled into the bottom of it , i place one inside of the other which has a tap in the bottom , i can pull the grain bag out of the kettle and put it in the sparge buckets and run some heated water on top to achieve 85% efficiency.

Thats brilliant. thanks.

I never heard of this place! It looks like a magical wonderland of awesomeness.

I will be getting my stainless fittings from them from now on.
Yeah Geordis is a very useful resource and they are happy to work with you even on the small jobs. If i was to build the brew kettle system again i would use these guys to do welded stainless fittings instead of the threaded ones that i used, but since it was a prototype i was'nt brave enough to put down the cash i think they charge $35 per weld and thats a double polished finish so it looks as if the kettle always had the fitting on it. As for the perf sheets they cut mine on site with their gilatine it worked out well ,don't be talked into laser cutting if you can help it.

As for the perf sheets they cut mine on site with their gilatine it worked out well ,don't be talked into laser cutting if you can help it.

Is there an issue with laser cutting perf sheets of s/s, or are you referring to the expense?

I think it is cost related. I don't need that because my mate has a plasma cutter. :)
Yes its the extra cost , Geordis don't do laser cutting but they were good enough to fit my miner job in at the end of there day. Using there straight edged guillotine, they somehow cut a square shaped piece of perf stainless into a perfect circular sheet to use as a false bottom.

Yes its the extra cost , Geordis don't do laser cutting but they were good enough to fit my miner job in at the end of there day. Using there straight edged guillotine, they somehow cut a square shaped piece of perf stainless into a perfect circular sheet to use as a false bottom.

So let me get this straight, you got a piece of 2mm stainless perforated sheet cut to size for $35 all inclusive? If the guys in the Braumiser thread found out they would have kittens!

Latest posts

Back