The "real" No-chill Poll

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is your No-chill experience? Please choose the most apt.

• My house is covered with stinking soured wort from when the cube exploded!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tried it once and decided it was bad news.

• Just tried it and still awaiting results.

• Tried it a few times and won't be back.

• Tried it a few times and I'm happy to keep using it, while it works

• Happy to No-chill, but only when I feel like it. It's a good backup plan.

• I only No-chill now and have very few related problems

• No-chill works well for me, and I'll continue using it

• Aaah. Chilling the way the Lord intended. Slow and deliberate. Never had a problem with No-Chill

• Other (including modified No-chill: please post details)

• Total voters

Weizguy

Barley Bomber
Reaction score
OK. Here's the deal! :D

This poll and thread is intended as a scientific-based survey of No-chill user success.

I might even be able to run a statistical analysis and post the results in a Scientific format, just like Darren asked.

Please only vote if you have used No-chill. I'll be disappointed if this poll/thread is not taken seriously, coz I've tried to do it right and cover all bases, including an "Other" field.

If you have outstanding No-chill success, please advise us of your specific method.

I have just thought of many other options, including:
  • still getting my technique right, but still No-chilling
  • Still trialling - stay tuned
  • I have concrete evidence of someone getting sick from a No-chill brew (not just grogsick)
  • I No-chill commercially
No-chill brewers unite and let's find out how many people are using this method with success, and otherwise.

Please also post the number of successful No-chill brews, number of unsuccessful No-chill brews, and any competition winning No-chillers.

(*) Edit - If you won't be No-chilling again, we'd all like to hear why!

Now it's your poll.
Tell us all how No-chill works for you. Testify! :super:

Seth :p

I voted "other", as my AG brews (to date) have only been half batches, allowing me to employ ice bricks around the smaller fermenter in an upright esky to cool the wort down.

My method, I suppose, is much the same as the "chill cube in fridge" no-chiller method...but you said no-chill, not no-chiller, hence my "other" vote.

PZ.

that makes no sense, chilling isn't slow it's fast, that's the whole point!

I've done the chill and no-chill method on a pilsner and still awaiting the results.

The trial was done for two reasons, Firstly due to the current water restrictions in SE QLD, the second as I wanted to do a 40 litre batch and thought that the no-chill would be a good idea for 20 litres that could be run of from the kettle whilst still near boiling with minimal risk of infection due to pasturiseing temps. (HSA is another thing but I racked from kettle with minimal splashing). Time will tell.

I did a 40 litre batch 20 litres straight into the cube no chill and the 2nd 20 litres chilled. Control part is the 20litres pre-chilled, should be good trial to compare taste, aroma, flavour, infection possibility (although I'm really anal about sanitiation) so don't think I'll have any problem.

The chilled part has been in primary for nearly 2 weeks and the cube has been sitting around awaiting, awaiting awaiting; as I'm going to pitch on the yeast cake of the chilled part.

Chilled part will be ready to rack to 2ndary and pitch the no-chill over next couple of days.

I will report back after the beer's have finished and matured. Which could be a while as they are pilsners and will be CC'ed.

AC

I voted "Happy to No-chill, but only when I feel like it. It's a good backup plan". I have done 5 or 6 brews using the method with great results all round. (no better that using the chiller method) I can't see a problem with using it, but then again "I aint looking for problems"

STEVE

The chilled part has been in primary for nearly 2 weeks and the cube has been sitting around awaiting, awaiting awaiting; as I'm going to pitch on the yeast cake of the chilled part.

Hey AC,

Can I suggeset you use the same pitching rate in your second batch, as pitching onto a yeast cake is well and truely overpitching, which will produce far different results. I find that half cup slurry is plenty, or better still, seperate the trub from the yeast, and pitch the equivalent of a good starter, aerating as you did with the first batch.

Only being nit-picky to make this a fair comparison!

Hutch,
Being a novice whats the problems with pitching on the yeast cake? If I pitch on the yeast cake what kind of different results would you expect? I fully intend to chill the cube to the correct pitching temp 10-12c before pitching and have temp control. Are you suggesting that the increased amount of yeast is likely to take off very rapidly and that I might not be able to control the temps? Or are you suggesting other possible problems such as autoalysis (sp?).

I have pitched on yeast cakes previously without concern, no noticeable flavour or aroma concerns.

Cheers
AC

I voted: "No-chill works well for me, and I'll continue using it"

Could the people that had negative effects or the people who won't be doing it again please let everyone know what happened and why you won't be doing it again.

Like SJW, I'll be using this as a back up. I've done a couple of no-chills and I've been satisfied with the results, no better or worse than using the chiller IMO. I'm just impatient to get going and can brew pretty much on the day I choose. But definitely a tool to use if needed.

AC, I'd agree with Hutch on the yeast cake. Just use a small amount. See here for a calculator to work how much slurry to use. Using the whole thing is really overpitching. You'll probably get different results using that amount of yeast, with different attenuation rates in my experience. It's probably not going to be a big issue in most cases but for this experiment, pitching similar amounts of yeast should give a better comparison.

As SG says, it'd be interesing to hear from those who have had bad experiences with this method.

Aussie Claret, have sent you a PM.
Hutch.

I just amended the original post to request feedback re problems and why ex-No-Chillers won't be returning to No-chill.

That sort of info helps everyone to make an informed decision, based on risk analysis.

Beerz

Other: I will not be trying it as i see no advantage.
Ash,

I specifically asked for only No-chill users to post here.

Where's your etiquette, or can't you read, or did you just want to increase your post count?

I hope U didn't vote, as that would be an anomalous vote, too.

Seth out :angry:

i voted happy to use it as a backup plan.

Was soooooo tempted to say that my house is covered in stinking soured wort.

only done it twice so far: first was with an ale with ale malt & plenty of roasty grains so DMS likely wouldn't be an issue. 2nd time was an IPA and i am interested to see how the late hopping is affected: i wonder if the slow cooling is bad for the volatile hop aromas. (perhaps someone already posted on this but i can't be bothered wading through the 2390480 pages of the post - can we have some sort of no-chill FAQ ?).
I think i am one of the lucky few that can taste dms (and i don't like it) so i am definitely planning to try it out with a koelsch or a pils soon too for pils-malt issues.

if it works i will definitely use this technique forever, cause a) i can't see our water problems getting better and B) all things being equal, given the choice between sloth and slog, i will always go sloth. but then i am a proboscis monkey.

...wish I had a pic of the bubble cube of altbier. I wish for many things...

Still testing the technique.

Anyone else have anything to say? Surely there are more No-chill proponents out there?

I'd like to hear why a brewer would cease using this method?

I choose "No-chill works well for me, and I'll continue using it"

I tried it, found no differance taste wise so I will not be going back, saves water and time so I give it the big thumbs up. have done around 10 brews with it.

I no chill.

Although I have to admit, I have never chilled. A chiller was just one more bit of equipment I was trying to scrounge on my way to finally brewing my first All Grain.

I'd bought and converted a cheap 42 litre esky. I "acquired" something suitable for a boiler. I had a leftover pot that would suffice for a HLT. Then I was told that a chiller is not actually a necessity. HALLELUJA.

Would have taken me another 3 or 4 months to finally get my first AG under my belt by the time I'd built a chiller. I may still eventually get one so I can pitch on the same day, but I was originally led to believe it was a necessity. Just another example of some people making the whole process sound alot more complicated than it really needs to be.

If only BIAB had been around when I was first learning the process, I could have been up to double figures!!!

Thommo.

I choose "No-chill works well for me, and I'll continue using it"

I tried it, found no differance taste wise so I will not be going back, saves water and time so I give it the big thumbs up. have done around 10 brews with it.

Ditto, must be more then 10, can't remember :( , close to???.....Heaps.
ALL good.

Latest posts

Back