The Pasta Thread...homemade Of Course

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ducatiboy stu

Reaction score
Well it about time we had a Pasta thread..

I got a pasta roller/machine for Xmas, and life has never been the same...

simple pasta

3-4 egg yolks

enough 0000 flour to make a stiff dough

roll

cut

boil in lots of water

cover in home made Pesto...

enjoy with a nice Sangiovese

:)

I have to agree. Fresh pasta sheets make great lasagne.

It also great fun getting the kids to help

Kabooby :)

Yeah it's amazing how much nicer it is when it's fresh! I use 100g of strong white flour per egg. I make up a big batch and freeze it in balls, and just pull one out, thaw and roll it when I want fresh pasta! I like it with a simple tomato sauce with a few sauteed veg like zucchini, eggplant, mushrooms and some oregano, and drizzled with olive oil.

I like rolling into sheets and using a wheel pizza cutter to cut strips in different widths for that rustic look too ;)

I got all fancy one time and did some fresh duck egg pasta. It was fantastic. Unfortunately, the person who gave me the eggs got rid of their ducks shortly after and I have never been able to make it since. If you ever get hold of duck eggs try it.

Cheers
Dave

I love making my own pasta and it is especially great making it with the kids and cutting it out to however you feel like cutting it out to. The standard of 1 egg (free range please) added to 100g of flour is a great starting point.

I was blown away some time ago when I was doing my cooking show and I was making a crab and squid ink pasta. The chef at the resturaunt offered to make the pasta for me the night before we filmed which was great of him as we didnt have time to do it in the morning (although I always prefer to make it myself) anyway he made a fantastic pasta using 500g of flour, salt, squid ink and 15 egg yolks!!!!! It was smooth, silky, creamy, elastic, absolutely beautiful and pehaps a bit over kill! But next time you make pasta have a go at 100g of flour one whole egg and another one or even two egg yolks it could be addictive.

Tim F, why do you freeze your pasta? surely making it fresh takes about the same amount of time as thawing out a piece?

The only thing with home made pasta is you dont really get that aldente bite that you do from dried pasta - which is fine but I do love that bite!

I use 250gm anchor 00 flour, 3 egg yolks, 2 whole eggs, a dash of EVOO and a pinch of salt all into the bread machine on pasta setting. When it is finished, wrap the dough in glad wrap and put in the fridge for atleast 20minutes before processing through the pasta machine.

Bloody beautiful and the son eats it like there is no tomorrow. His favourite dish is fettucini meatballs. the meatball mix is another thread, half pork/half beef mince and a number of other ingredients.

I made quail ravioli when my olds visited recently. I get these packs of quail from Griffith and they are really really good. pretty fiddly to make and boning out the breast from a quail is pretty funny, but it all worth it.

I cook my pasta in chicken stock.

You can still have aldente pasta by drying out your pasta and cooking it a few days later.

Tim F, why do you freeze your pasta? surely making it fresh takes about the same amount of time as thawing out a piece?

I only freeze it to save a bit of mess with the kneading and everything, and I find it freezes pretty well. It means that if I want some pasta on a whim it's only a few seconds on defrost, whip out the rolling pin or the pasta machine, and it's in the pot!

I cook my pasta in chicken stock.

You can still have aldente pasta by drying out your pasta and cooking it a few days later.

Another pasta maker here. Use good old plain flour and eggs straight from our chooks :icon_drool2: in the same ratio as most 1egg/100g flour.

Why do you cook the pasta in chicken stock kirem?

C&B
TDA

Another homemade pasta maker here too. I like to blend up a small amount of spinach and add that to the pasta mix. It adds colour and flavour, and goes great with a white sauce and chicken.
I haven't been able to get mine to store in the freezer and then cook at a later date very well. Tends to fall apart.

Gday brewers, just a quick question can anyone suggest what to look for in a good pasta maker/cutter or Brand names etc..
cheers

I've got a Marcato Atlas 150. Had it for a couple of years and it's always worked great. Also have a separate ravioli attachment for it that Ive never been able to get along with. Always seems to make a huge mess and doesnt seal the ravioli very well .. anyway, the main machine is fantastic and can highly recommend it especially for flat pasta sheets (lasagne). Fettuccine adapter also works great.

Can also second Airgeads comments on fresh duck eggs in pasta much more tasty .. yum, Im getting hungry just thinking about it!

I just use lots of salt in the water - about 1% salt by weight.

pfffffffftttttttt pasta machines.

My Mrs makes it with her hands.

johnno

I think by "pasta machine" what is meant is a machine for flattening and cutting out the various spagetti's and fettuncine's etc etc I have never seen a machine that mixes the dough, wel not a home style one anyway. Is there one? I wouldnt buy one that would be like buying a bread maker for my sourdoughs - Never!!

I think by "pasta machine" what is meant is a machine for flattening and cutting out the various spagetti's and fettuncine's etc etc I have never seen a machine that mixes the dough, wel not a home style one anyway. Is there one? I wouldnt buy one that would be like buying a bread maker for my sourdoughs - Never!!

Thats what i was after, a decent cutter/flattenerouterer not an actual "maker"

My machine is an Arcosteel. It's pretty well built, the only annoyance is that the roller handle is designed to slip in and out but it does it a bit too loosely. Every time I use it the handle ends up on the floor at least twice. I don't know if that's a common feature with other brands!

Does anyone know if there's a home machine that can extrude tubes? Or do you just wrap the dough around a rod.

How long would you boil fresh Pasta for?

as it is easy to tell when the Dried pasta is ready, (as it goes soft) but considering this is already soft, how long does it need?

How long would you boil fresh Pasta for?

as it is easy to tell when the Dried pasta is ready, (as it goes soft) but considering this is already soft, how long does it need?

It does depend on how thick or thin the pasta is rolled out to. I go for a couple of minutes, it changes colour a little when it is cooked, like yellow to beige or cream or off-white.

Normally once the water has reboiled and a minute extra or so.

Now for the next step up, who makes gnocchi?

One of my all time favourite foods is gnocchi with gorgonzola/cream sauce closely followed by seasonaed, diced and lightly fried chicken livers on garlic rye bread.

Damn, I'm hungry now.

Back