The only way to pour a hefeweizen

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nailed it. A german beer is not a german beer without a good 2 or 3 finger head

I have a 2 nice Weinstephaner hefe glasses so I plan on giving it a go.

Hmm, I bought two bottles of Weihenstephan hefe weissbier yesterday arvo from Dan's. Should be chilled enough for this arvo to practice this.

Thanks

Interesting technique. Can't say I would want to submerge the head of the bottle though...never know where that's been.

Lazy way to pour a beer, and it knocks a lot of CO2 out. Saw a barman pouring all bottles of beer like that (except the rolling) years ago. He thought it looked cool, methinks. I asked who cleans the neck of the bottle, his blank stare prompted me to insist on pouring it normally, thanks!

If I needed instruction on how to pour a weiss bier, I'd go to and not a hinterhof cowboy :D

Last edited by a moderator:
NewtownClown said:
If I needed instruction on how to pour a weiss bier, I'd go to and not a hinterhof cowboy :D
I like how the size of the head mysteriously triples at 1:15

Takes to long anyway. I'd need a beer to tie me over in the mean time.

I saw another vid that didnt have the bottle in the glass but it also said you have to have the water in the glass to start. Whats with that?

nosco said:
I saw another vid that didnt have the bottle in the glass but it also said you have to have the water in the glass to start. Whats with that?
It lubricates the glass - smoother than a dry glass that can cause more foaming when pouring high-carbonated beers, as the gas gets knocked out.
Was told that by a guy who worked bars in Germany and Austria, when I bitched about having to bottle my weiss biers because pouring from the keg was often a headache. I recall seeing the same thing in Belgium for their high-carbed beers, too.

NewtownClown said:
Bet you hate waiting for a Guinness then!
Yeah what's with the bullshit guiness pouring deal? I heard a guy ask the bartender the other day whether it's actually really hard to pour a guiness. The answer was yes. I was about to turn to the guy and tell him it's all a load of guiness wank. My nitro tap at home I pour however I want, be it straight into the bottom of the glass or tilt the glass. When it gets to the top I shut the tap off, walk inside, wait a minute and then it is sitting in front of me ready to drink with a perfect amount of head. None of this topping up business. Easier than pouring a co2 beer.

Man, Paulaner is such a good hefeweizen. Shits all over Weihenstephaner IMO.

Tried the first technique with my saison. That didn't end well and I ended up with ******* beer all over the kitchen. I'll just pour it like I'd pour a normal beer next time and stop trying to be a clever twat.

Dave70 said:
Takes to long anyway. I'd need a beer to tie me over in the mean time.
You'd get 3 beers down in . Apart from the swearing and the word "beer" I cant understand a word of the song.

NewtownClown said:
Bet you hate waiting for a Guinness then!
A true Guinness drinker knows the value of an observant bartender, and instructs them to pour the Guinness when there is 30% left in the first glass. By the time you're finished the first glass, the second is all settled and ready to go.

schtev said:
Interesting technique. Can't say I would want to submerge the head of the bottle though...never know where that's been.
C'mon we're brewers. We should be masters at sanitising anything.....

Adr_0 said:
Man, Paulaner is such a good hefeweizen. Shits all over Weihenstephaner IMO.
It's my favourite too. Nice and flavourful and a great colour too.

It's the Hefeweizen I always aim to recreate.

I was introduced to this technique when living in Switzerland.

Wasted a few Erdingers trying to master it and never got there, that dude makes it look easy.

I had a shoeferhoffer last weekend, that was a cracking beer, but at $5 each I aint buying many (still not as pricey as the $8 per 330ml stubby of galaxy IPA I saw the other day).

Last wheat I made was delicious.... it's back on the brew list!

Latest posts

Back