The New Batch

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdsaint

Reaction score
Just bought some ingredients for my new batch of brew:
*12g columbus hops $3.00
*morgans india pale ale 1.7kg $15.95
*thomas coopers light malt extract 1.5kg $13.95
*180g dextrose to prime $1.00

I am excited to see the finished product, hoping it will be drinkable by christmas time, any suggestions?
I also bought some country brewer liquid sanitiser which says 10% phosphoric acid $6.50
All up around $40.......... I was told to throw a capful into my fermenter with the ingredients befor the yeast to help with chlorine levels? would boiling my tap water and sitting to cool and mix the ingredients tomorrow be better?

Should easily be drinkable by Christmas.

Boiling water and cooling can be good to drive off chlorine - depends a lot on the levels in you water and whether you think it's worth it. It won't hurt though.

Should easily be drinkable by Christmas.

Boiling water and cooling can be good to drive off chlorine - depends a lot on the levels in you water and whether you think it's worth it. It won't hurt though.

Will do that then cheers n beers!

It's now been a week in the fermenter....
Air lock bubbled for around a day and a half then now has stopped.....
my sg was 1042, I have checked the reading today it's 1020...
I was wanting to rack to secondary today, and add some more yeast, would this be wrong?
The brew was bubbling like champagne in the hydro tube
Anyway I know pateince is the key, but would like to add a different hop to the origonal colubus t-bag which is still i the ferementer any tips , should i rack and throw in some more yeast?

Looks to me like it is still fermenting away if the sample is full of bubbles.

I would rack but do not add extra yeast as racking usually gets the ferment moving along faster again.

Also ideal time to add more hops in bag or loose they will be mostly for aroma though not for flavour if you are intending to add them dry to the secondary.

It's now been a week in the fermenter....
Air lock bubbled for around a day and a half then now has stopped.....
my sg was 1042, I have checked the reading today it's 1020...
I was wanting to rack to secondary today, and add some more yeast, would this be wrong?
The brew was bubbling like champagne in the hydro tube
Anyway I know pateince is the key, but would like to add a different hop to the origonal colubus t-bag which is still i the ferementer any tips , should i rack and throw in some more yeast?

No need to add any more yeast at any stage. Wait till its done, rack to secondary and chuck in another t-bag.
Cheers
Steve

This brew has been in the secondary since saturday and its still at 1020 gravity, does this mean its finished? is'nt that a little high for a finish? works out about 3.1% though..
i was wanting to bottle this brew on saturday

This brew has been in the secondary since saturday and its still at 1020 gravity, does this mean its finished? is'nt that a little high for a finish? works out about 3.1% though..
i was wanting to bottle this brew on saturday

1020 sounds to high.. what temp is it sitting at and what yeast did you use..

Hi guys sorry bout the late reply but you know gotta work anyway.......
brew is sitting at 14-16 degrees its an ale yeast I guess it came with the kit........
I do however have a spare yeast (ale) sitting here that I bought last saturday but was told not to use in earlier post...
any ideas?

Yeah. Not so bloody cold.

you get told not over 20 degrees?
besides its at room temp and outside in newcastle its only 17 degrees

14 is a long way from 20. Sorry for being so short before. I'm ready for a nanna nap.

For a kit ale yeast I'd be willing to bet the farm that if your yeast wasn't asleep it is about as close to it as I am. In future, if you can keep your brews about 18-20 you'll have a little less stress, I reckon.

For this one, give her a swirl to rouse some yeast after you get the temp up a few degrees. It might get there at 16 but it'll be really slow.

[EDIT: Bloody hell, I'm going to bed]

thanks guys got a jumper over the fermenter now hope that works :unsure:

You could put some warm water in the sink and put the fementer in that to lift the temp. But keep an eye on it you don't want to heat ot to high.. Cheers

Where is your hot water unit? If it's inside try placing your fermenter near it or keep the fermenter in the kitchen or anywhere where the temps are more human comfortable. Your using a kit yeast by the sound of it and they are usually ok to go to the higher temp ranges. While keeping them cooler will produce a better beer having them too cold will make them fall asleep. Try to get it up to 20C even 22C and see if that stirs it back into life.

Chap Chap

raising the temp still has not worked still reading 1020 its at 20 degrees for past 2 days now..their is still tiny bubbles in the testing tube...should I give this another stir?

Basic steps for rousing stalled yeast:

1. gentle swirl or stir with sanitised implement (swirl is better and doesn't require opening)
2. Warming up to around 20 -22
3. Waiting (includes checking with hydrometer
4. Racking to different fermenter
5. Waiting
6. Pitching a bit more yeast.
7. Waiting
8. Adding a touch of simple sugar solution.

At this point I'd look at pitching more yeast but it will probably work better if you rehydrate it first. Add cooled boiled water to your yeast. Stir with sanitised implement (or whisk) and leave till nice brown clumpiness and foamy looking stuff appears. Add to brew gently and (once again) wait. You may not be able to bottle on Saturday but your beer will thank you for it.

Latest posts

Back