The Most Hops You've Put Into A Single Batch

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No. I think you've misunderstood me. I'm not attacking your recipe. Or you.

Dude says something implying your utilisation must have been different than that of a "normal" brew so I made the comment you've taken issue with. Not sure why really, but there you have it.

No. I think you've misunderstood me. I'm not attacking your recipe. Or you.

Dude says something implying your utilisation must have been different than that of a "normal" brew so I made the comment you've taken issue with. Not sure why really, but there you have it.

Bum, I've not taken issue at all, I was just trying to understand your "no way" comment, that I assumed was a reply to my "perceived 100IBU bitterness of a 400IBU beer" post.

I didn't read any posts as implying my utilisation was different, so was just confused... still am.... LOL.

cheers Ross

Bum, I've not taken issue at all, I was just trying to understand your "no way" comment, that I assumed was a reply to my "perceived 100IBU bitterness of a 400IBU beer" post.

Absolutely not. More than happy to take you at your word regarding your beers. Would be very interested in making such a big beer myself one day. Now I just need to work out how to get hops at wholesale prices... :lol:

I guess I can't help with the confusion any more blatantly because it is too hot here for me to be arsed with the ensuing shitfight (again, not with you). Hope I've made it clear I'm not having a dig at you at all.

It was amazingly drinkable from day one - the aroma hit you as it poured from the tap. Was not overly bitter despite the theoretical 400+ IBU's, I'd estimate in reallity nearer 100 IBU's.

cheers Ross

Chinese hops of course Ross? :lol:

Batz

Absolutely not. More than happy to take you at your word regarding your beers. Would be very interested in making such a big beer myself one day. Now I just need to work out how to get hops at wholesale prices... :lol:

I guess I can't help with the confusion any more blatantly because it is too hot here for me to be arsed with the ensuing shitfight (again, not with you). Hope I've made it clear I'm not having a dig at you at all.

....all's good mate - always was :)

cheers Ross

I believe I tried the baby brother of that brew at your place one time Ross? 200IBUs or something. Was a fantastically balanced and very drinkable beer.

Wish I had that many spare US hops :ph34r:

Cheers!

Sqyre was a big fan of the 400IBU batch :D .

I think there is only so much hops that can be absorbed into the wort. I dont believe its a case of ....... the more hops i use the hoppier it will be.

Saturation Point: The point at which a substance, under given conditions, can receive no more of another substance in solution.

I made a 20 odd liter batch a while back with about 500 or 600g of hops in it. It wasnt much hoppier than when i use half that. I also have read somewhere that bitterness will max out at around 90 IBU i think.

So...... are lots of hops a waste of time or will 2 KG of hops in 20 liters make the beer hopier?

I recon the hops in these large quantities adds more the to the beers mouth feel and texture, makes them creamy. But...... it can also make them harsh if you dont get it right!

Im planning a big AIPA soon and was tempted to use massive amounts of hops. But IMO its a not worth it. Will use a lot but i think the secret it to drink the hoppy beers fresh. The hops die off which sux the big one!

cheers

340g in a 20L batch of Mild (OG 1.035) in an attempt to clone Brew Dogs How to Disappear Completely. All Columbus (14%AA) and Centennial (10%AA). Calculated IBU of over 200 (Rager).

Result was surprisingly drinkable. Most thought it was an IIPA until they found out it was only 3.5% ABV.

Omg you people are crazy lol, i thought my whole bag of amarillo brew went down like a glass of rusty nails and you guys are talking four times that amout rofl, to each there i guess you guys are just better brewers then me... On a side note though one of the best and wierdest brews i had was called a dogfishead 90 min ipa that i had while in ny and was 11% abv and about 100 ibus... Tasted more like jackdaniels straight lol

Back