The Most Hops You've Put Into A Single Batch

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pennywise

Brewin' Beer for Crazy Clowns & Juggalo's
Reaction score
Sorry if it's been done before but a search didn't do much for me.

I've just dry hopped a Pliney The elder Clone (partial) with 190g of hop pellets, and into the boil went about 200g (don't have the exact figures with me but will confirm later on). There was supposed to be 50 odd grams mash hopped but I skipped that bit as I think it'd be a bit of a waste.
When I had all the hops out and measured in mugs (yes mugs) I thought to myself, this is just f**king crazy, I'm putting like four coffee mugs of hops in this beer, and that's excluding the dry hops I put in last night.
This got me thinking just how far some of us hop heads go for that ultimate hit, so how far have you gone?

My recent batch had a respectable 180 grams of hops in a normal 23 litre batch. Not much compared to that pliny clone though!!!

Tommorow im doing a Lagunita IPA clone, it will cop about 240g of willamette... (60g is dry hop).

Pliny clone for me also. 200g in the boil and 100g dry hopped. :icon_drool2: the thinng is with these beers is the massive malt bill reduces the perceived bitterness. ie mine was 154IBU but didnt seem like that much b/c of the malt backbone.

Maple has done an 'imperial mild' with something like 300g of hop. that was awsome! oince it settled down a little.

I put 285g into a hopburst beer I did a while back, et ale. My MP SMASH has 300g of Marco Polo in it. This is for 50L batches.

200g of Chinese Cascade in a RyeIPA (400g across 40L). Would have been even nicer if it wasn't Chinese Cascade...

i wondered how long it would be until the 'chinese beers' appeared on the thread.

The Pliny clone I have in planning has 1.12Kg of hops in a 45L batch..

The biggest I have done to date is 415gm in 45L

360g in my first attempt at a Double IPA. 23 Litre batch. I'd just discovered the beauty of American IPA/Double IPA. It was pretty full on...

100g in an apa extract, my first one with real hops about 6 months ago

2 tins pale goo
100g amarillo
1/3 @ 60m
1/3 @ 30m
1/3 @ 0m
us05 dry
20 litres

and 6 months later it is still far too bitter to drink, i suppose it has no malt to hide behind, it was a very noob mistake of following a recipe and thinking twice as much as the recipe calls for would make it twice as good... now i realize people carefully measure out there hop quantities for a reason and have since brought a small scale to weigh out my amounts.

Recipe from the late 18th Century (1790+) states a hopping rate of 22 pounds of Goldings per quarter (149KG) of malt (for an IPA). This works out at 297g per 18 litres with a starting gravity of 1.070)... Now I'm guessing these hops despite being fresh, didn't have the highest AA - even so - they didn't really filigree their booze with aroma or flavour (maybe a bit of dry hop), must've been bitter, eh!

FWIW, I stuck 230g in yesterdays boil... (that's into a SG of 1.102) - there's 30g Styrian to dry hop.

The Citra IPA I've just bottled used 150g (90g of which Citra...) - quite modest!

The house drink is generally bittered and flavoured between 100-220g

Maybe I'm not clever or skillfull enough to make subtle beers! I am however going through a hop phase...

This might help?

hopsgraph.jpg

Maybe not for Pliny!!!

This might help?

View attachment 35989

Maybe not for Pliny!!!

Far out, I don't know who came up with that graph but its way off in my opinion! Consistently recommending "evenly balanced" as being a BU:GU of 0.5?!?!?! "Sickly sweet" is how I would label that category! :p I would be in or very close to the "extra hoppy" category every brew I reckon (with the exception of certain styles obviously).

I have planned to brew this weekend a Imperial Pilsner (32L) with 615 gms, If I hop back as well it will be in excess of 700 gms.SaazZ .Yum.
GB

And super fresh 09 saaz too, ya lucky bugger! :icon_drool2:

xxx
Far out, I don't know who came up with that graph but its way off in my opinion! Consistently recommending "evenly balanced" as being a BU:GU of 0.5?!?!?! "Sickly sweet" is how I would label that category! :p I would be in or very close to the "extra hoppy" category every brew I reckon (with the exception of certain styles obviously).
xxx
It's way off for me too, and far from me wanting to start a debate on the internet, the graph says 'evenly balanced' rather than 'recommended'. And it was probably drawn in crayon...

Plus extra hoppy conjures a flavour and aroma image to me, whereas that graph just rates things in terms of IBUs.
Extra bitter doesn't mean extra hoppy to me...

I used to use that graph as a guide untill I realised how out of whack it is. 0.5 is definatly too sweet for me

Back