The Lost Pommy

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

staggalee

Reaction score
How about this Pommy that was lost in the Blue Mts. for 12 days and existed on leaves and grass?
It sounds like a crock to me, and now he`s been told he could get $1000,000. for his story. :rolleyes:

stagga.

Awesome, he can donate it to the RFS, SES and all the other volunteer organisations that used their resources to find him.

Why anyone goes walking in terrain like that without a GPS/some form of working coms unit is beyond me.

I'm a bit sus too Stagga, 12 nights at anything from 0 to 5 is a bit of a stretch and being able to walk to the hospital :huh: surely hypothermia would have killed him, It has killed at warmer temps than that few months ago.
And it's funny how he was found by a couple of walkers and not the search teams that had been scouring the country side for 12 days, almost like he was waiting to present himself

Yeah, I`ve seen blokes lost for 2 days in the Glasshouse Mts. on Sunshine Coast come out looking worse than he did for 12 days.
He must be sick of eating grass and leaves now :(

stagga.

Two days ago at 8am in the morning it was 4 degrees in Katoomba. So yes, this is a bit suss.

Why anyone goes walking in terrain like that without a GPS/some form of working coms unit is beyond me.

What ? There's limited line of sight to telco cells or radio repeater stations, and HF is pretty much useless in much of the area. And what's wrong with a compass (you know those old fashioned thing that only kooks use these days !). And what casual walker is going to buy a GPS ?

Your comment is a bit unfounded, plenty of trekkers survive just fine in the Blue Mountains getting off the beaten track without these fancy toys you speak of (me for one, on many an occasion). In fact I reckon I could make it out of the bush even without a compass. Perhaps the comment "why anyone" might be more accurate if we said "why didn't he" (ie that stupid lost pommy *******).

Just cos he MIGHT have been lost doesn`t automatically make him a "stupid lost pommy *******", Renegade.
There IS some doubt about the "lost".

stagga.

True. But I just love reading the words "Pommy" + "*******" side by side. They go together like peaches & cream.

Apologies to all the fatherless Brits on the forum.

True. But I just love reading the words "Pommy" + "*******" side by side. They go together like peaches & cream.

Apologies to all the fatherless Brits on the forum.

If you reread my post, you`ll see that`s what I was getting at ;)

stagga.

I think the Brit Tabaloids (do they have any other for of "news"?) have already started questioning how legit his story is.

Cheers SJ

I think the Brit Tabaloids (do they have any other for of "news"?) have already started questioning how legit his story is.

Cheers SJ

These stories always pop up every few years,

Remember the lost ski-er who spend four days in the snow and survived on a mars bar.

Or the guy who got lost in the Grand Canyon (US, not Blue Mountains), got his arm stuck under a rock and proceeded to hack it off with a blunt pen-knife.

It's these tales of "Human Resilience Against All Odds" that really tear at the heart-strings and sell a shitload of papers/magazines/TV advertising time. Double that when it's a controversial story. The important thing is that people are talking about it at the water cooler.

Cynical, me ? It must be the swine flu talking.

Actually, he might have struck the Mother Lode here.
If he comes up with hair raising yarns of fighting off marauding tribes of black canniballs, sleeping in treetops to avoid crazed platypus attacks etc, the Brit press will pay heaps for his story.
He just needs to work Samantha Fox into it somehow.

stagga.

:icon_offtopic: Speaking of hitting the jackpot, I was reading a riveting local district newspaper last night at the pub, and police were offering $5,000.00 for the successful prosecution of persons responsible for grafitti-tagging a local charity clothes bin! Got me thinking that the charge & subsequent fine would be far less than the reward, so I might get a mate to dob me in, cop the rap and walk away witha pocketful of wads. I'm off to buy a baseball cap & some Calvin Klein undies for props.

THEN I would sell the story to the British tabloids. Also stating that Samantha Fox is a crusty old synthetic wench who made me do it. That'll cause a national ripple.

I should change the topic name to "the lost and found pommy" but I don`t think you can edit topic titles, only posts. :)

stagga.

..with the by-line 'He was hiding uner the soap, where his family would never have found him'

:icon_offtopic: Speaking of hitting the jackpot, I was reading a riveting local district newspaper last night at the pub, and police were offering $5,000.00 for the successful prosecution of persons responsible for grafitti-tagging a local charity clothes bin! Got me thinking that the charge & subsequent fine would be far less than the reward, so I might get a mate to dob me in, cop the rap and walk away witha pocketful of wads. I'm off to buy a baseball cap & some Calvin Klein undies for props.

THEN I would sell the story to the British tabloids. Also stating that Samantha Fox is a crusty old synthetic wench who made me do it. That'll cause a national ripple.

It sounds good, but what if it backfires and you get 6 months boob and bunked up with Ivan Milat? :(
Even worse..6 months of drinking pruno.
No, you`d better come up with something safer.

stagga.

It sounds good, but what if it backfires and you get 6 months boob and bunked up with Ivan Milat? :(

or six months of boobs with Samantha Fox ! Is that all you ever think about ?

This threads really going places, hey. Mostly downhill at a rapid rate of knots.

What ? There's limited line of sight to telco cells or radio repeater stations, and HF is pretty much useless in much of the area. And what's wrong with a compass (you know those old fashioned thing that only kooks use these days !). And what casual walker is going to buy a GPS ?

Your comment is a bit unfounded, plenty of trekkers survive just fine in the Blue Mountains getting off the beaten track without these fancy toys you speak of (me for one, on many an occasion). In fact I reckon I could make it out of the bush even without a compass. Perhaps the comment "why anyone" might be more accurate if we said "why didn't he" (ie that stupid lost pommy *******).

Allow me to elaborate a little.

"What sort of evidently inexperienced walker goes out without any form of navigation equipment or coms device?"

As for the cost of a GPS device, most mobile phones these days have BT, and can run some form of trekking software. Throw in a $30 ebay GPS receiver and you are away.

Either way, any money he makes should be returned to the organisations that wasted resources looking for a fool, I say we let Darwin take over for a few generations, can only do the human race good.

Being serious for a mo, it`s just a bloody shame Burke and Wills didn`t have a Navman with them.
History is a strange thing, all right.

stagga.

We don't know if it's legitimate or not. He hasn't been prosecuted for wilfully misleading intentions (yet), so therefore, for now at least, we need to say 'yes, he was lost'. At least until such a time that it is identified that he's making fraudulent claims. So therefore, the emergency services operated in the manner of which their whole intention is, that is, to try and find lost people. And phones really dont work too well in many parts of the Blue Mountains, even at heights for example Ive been atop Evans Lookout and neither Vodafone nor '3' could get a signal. Being under the canopy, and you can completely forget it. By all means GPS would work, but it's rare for an occasional walker to even think about such things. Ironically its the more experienced people who go in equipped with GPS, emergency beacon or a compass (that's my old-school favourite!)

Sure, I personally think (his claim) it's a load of bullshit but I don't have any evidence to prove it.

Stag, B & W MUST surely have been a myth, no-one could ever get around without a GPS, could they ? How archaic an idea. :rolleyes:

They did die out there though didnt they.

Latest posts

Back