"the Knowledge" By Little Creatures

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, and if you're after a beer that smells and tastes like a grapefruit, zested roughly on some raw sawn cedar with a good squeeze of nectarine.... you'll need to make the trip to Margaret River.

i bought 4 Litres of that stuff back, thinking it would last me a week.....was gone the day i got back

it truly is an awesome beer, would have to be the best i have tasted out of a brewpub.

I also sought knowledge...and came away unimpressed

Hops ? What are those ? <_<

I've found a few beers recently a littl hard to get thru...maybe I'm slowing down in my old age :p
This one added to that list, a little on the sweet side, maybe with some hops to round it out it would have been OK, but still.. can't get excited about it.
Except for the clarity and carbonation...damn thing tried to jump out of the glass at me.

asher, mika, et al...

I had a couple of pints earlier this week that were surprisingly lacking in hop aroma so I now understand where you guys were coming from in your reviews. The variation does concern me though as it seems to be fairly random.

I'll investigate daily in an attempt to discern any pattern in these deviations from target specifications.

I went in there last night with my wife, and tried The Knowledge.

Was a nice beer, but certainly didn't strike me as anything to rave about. Lacked hop aroma and the taste seemed a little "confused".

Was a bit like a rogers to drink, in terms on mouthfeel, carbonation and colour. Bit hard to put my finger on taste.

Something that was interesting (and I got photo's) were the amount of hops that were drained onto the floor, or that were dragged out of the hopback, that missed the quarantine bin, and seemed to be washed down the drain...

I'm thinking something went awry, because one of the brewers looked a little bit stressed. :D

On another note, the LCPA that I had from the bottle at Char-Char Bull (about 200m from LC brewery) with my dinner, was the best LCPA that I've had for ages. Much like what I remember when I first started going to the brewery, after it opened.

Seen the rest of the new facilities that have gone up too, and I have to say, big thumbs up to the work thats been done. Looking forward to seeing what is being built in the vacant block between The Loft, and the Brewery. It seems foundation work has begun.

:D

I'll investigate daily in an attempt to discern any pattern in these deviations from target specifications.

Taking one for the team there Kai !

Are daily 'investigations' frequent enough though ?

Twice daily then!

Something that was interesting (and I got photo's) were the amount of hops that were drained onto the floor, or that were dragged out of the hopback, that missed the quarantine bin, and seemed to be washed down the drain...

I'm thinking something went awry, because one of the brewers looked a little bit stressed. :D

Ever get that feeling you're being watched? :ph34r:

Any hops that go down the drain get caught in a basket and dumped back in the quarantine bin.

lol. I did wonder.

I actually took the pics because I hadn't seen the hopback before, and I was sitting right underneath the stairwell (perfect view).

I spent some time explaining to my other half what the various bits of equipment were. Good fun :D

Were you there last night?

So what went wrong that night ? :p

Nothing! It was actually a good night. Maybe someone stubbed their toe or something.

I enjoyed a pint a few weeks ago, and "balanced" is the best way I can describe it. So well balanced infact that, sadly, it didn't taste bitter at all. Also, I was expecting a lot more hop flavour and aroma, though having said that I'll be back for a few more before it runs out.

Good news Melbournites... We are sending over some kegs of The Knowledge so you can all have a taste of our special one off brew.

The Knowledge is a special brew to celebrate the arrival of our fresh hops and we're sure you'll agree it puts everything that's special about those little flowers in one big flavor punch!

Seek knowledge while you can. Come and enjoy a pint at the Great Britain Hotel, 447 Church St, Richmond this Thursday 21st Feb at 6.30pm. Available on tap at the GB while kegs last.

For those true hopheads... here's the stats:

'The Knowledge' combines huge amounts of Cascade and Chinook hops in the hopback, with a touch of NZ hop flowers to add a different dimension, with bitterness weighing in around 45IBU. There is a big malt hit to balance all of this out, aided by a healthy dose of Cara and Munich malts. All this leaves us with an intensely hoppy, malty, bitter contraption with a very dark ruby-red colour.

Good news Melbournites... We are sending over some kegs of The Knowledge so you can all have a taste of our special one off brew.

Bump.
Just thought I'd bring this back to the attention of Melbourne brewers.
I work 50m from the GB, and I can't go!!! Spewing!
Enjoy.

spewing its my birth day iv got planns... would be a great way to celebrate it.

I'm hoping to get down there and have a taste :)
Looking forward to it!

Q

Damn! Out of town until tomorrow arvo.

Well I'll swing past tomorrow arvo, hopefully there is multiple kegs and they last til then.

Had a couple of pints of the knowledge at the GB last night..

Maybe they just sent the good kegs over here... but I'm not sure if I was drinking the same beer as the guys who think this stuff is lacking in hop aroma or bitterness.

Big hit of Cascade with a fair bit of the spice and resin that chinook always gives, pineapple and bits of passionfruit. Nicely malty buy not so thick or sweet that it got cloying in anyway, plenty of bittereing, nice, lingering and resionous in the finish, but not so much that you need to make the bitter face.

The thing I really enjoyed about it was the fact that the hop flavour and aroma were deep, not just showy and on the surface like some APA's, but integrated nicely into the beer. There isn't so much stratification in the drinking experience, you don't need to deal with the aroma as a separate thing to the flavour or the malt.... it all sits together as a whole, rather than a series of, palate experiences.

Maybe you guys over in WA have just had your palates so saturated with "dump in a bottle of perfume" type hop aromas from LC that anything less seems underdone?? I know that I find LCPA to be far too aromatic for extended drinking. I always have one, am amazed by the absolutely awesome aroma profile, but then I order something else when I go back to the bar. For me its an experience akin to sitting next to someone on the train who has gone a bit overboard with the antiperspirant... they smell all fresh and clean and "good morning" when they first sit down, but three stops later your eyes are watering and your looking for a vacant seat at the other end of the carriage.

The Knowledge is Really Good Beer.. I'd drink it over the LCPA (from any era) any day. I'll be making the trip to the GB at least a couple of times over the next few weeks, or until it runs out, when I will be sad.

Top work to all the LC guys here.

Thirsty

You're more than welcome! That's some beautiful text right there. I'm glad you enjoyed it :)

Keep drinking...it'll change B)

The version I tasted was nothing close to what you describe, I can still appreciate the delicate hopping in a just bitter blonde ale but I just got blandness from the 'Knowledge'.

Btw I'm drinking an LCPA at the moment and I'm not getting the metallic taste...kinda happy about that :chug:

I headed to the GB on friday night too, and I would have to agree with everything Thirsty has said. I enjoyed it a lot more than LCPA. Worth visiting to check it out.

Latest posts

Back