"the Knowledge" By Little Creatures

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
definately much more knowledgeable this morning having learned you can't ride home from fremantle up hill without gears after a session of knowledge, the bike just doesnt stay upright.
Hats off if the dragster in question was the one I saw in your shed last week :eek:

Wish we hadnt driven,

Enjoyed the Knowledge

By style kai means getting a dinky home on the dragster and saying "turn here" to late therefore crashing into a kerb.

Not to mention falling off it several times in the parklands in front of a few very amused people on a park bench. The bruises on my legs today are stellar.

I'm heading down tonight at around 9-10pm to give it a rigorous evaluation, so if I see any familiar/friendly faces I'll make myself known. I'll be the young man with ye olde english chops and a girly haircut. I might even compare/contrast the beer with the rogers/PA blend for arguments sake.

FTR was that the press release you posted Rob? It sounds pretty different to what Alex described to me earlier today, but I'm sure neither of them were intentionally fallacious.

tried out the knowledge this afternoon, it was very nice. that's about all i could use as an adjective. not fantastic, not earth shattering, but just plain old nice.

good hop profile, nice malty balance and that's about it. would i drink it regularly? i doubt it but once in a while, yeah ok. it's a subtle departure from LCPA & LCBA but wlecome nonetheless.

what would be also welcome is some LC waiters/waitresses without the attitude. this place has got too much of a wanker factor now, with the obligatory weird haircuts all pushing the bohemian freo flavour to the point of being nauseating, coupled with nazi-style seating policies that state (in front of everybody in the beer garden), "look, if you're going to sit at a table, you CAN'T order beer from the bar, you must wait for table service!" WTF? this may have been accpeptable if we hadn't sat in 37c heat for 10 minutes waiting for an order....

last year i was "waved" over to the eftpos section, in the middle of restaurant section by a very vocal waiter who thought i was going to "do a runner" when i got up from the table to go to the toilet - even though my wife, sister-in-law and 12-month old baby were still seated and having lunch.

and then you have waiters who persist with walking over tables in the beer garden, it seems that some are getting too big for their army boots. it's just plain rude.

overall the knowledge was a nice beer, but so is the APA i'm sipping on now :D

I think Kai's description of it being a Roger and a Pale crammed into one glass is pretty well on the money. IMO both these beers are nothing like they used to be so cramming them into the one glass only magnified the disappointment... Little aroma like the Pale quickly followed by a metallic/blood-in-mouth flavour that used to be evident in only the Pilsner but seems to have crept through all 4 of their beers (NZ hops?). Some nice slight roasty malt flavours balance the underwhelming bitterness though. If this is the best that could be done with the new season cascade hops Its not looking good for 2008.

With a name like "Knowledge" i was hoping to get my fill,,, But found myself longing for a beer called "Memory"

Asher

With a name like "Knowledge" i was hoping to get my fill,,, But found myself longing for a beer called "Memory"
Nice. I have fond memories of a beer called Hahn Previous.

I think Kai's description of it being a Roger and a Pale crammed into one glass is pretty well on the money. IMO both these beers are nothing like they used to be so cramming them into the one glass only magnified the disappointment... Little aroma like the Pale quickly followed by a metallic/blood-in-mouth flavour that used to be evident in only the Pilsner but seems to have crept through all 4 of their beers (NZ hops?). Some nice slight roasty malt flavours balance the underwhelming bitterness though. If this is the best that could be done with the new season cascade hops Its not looking good for 2008.

Asher

It's probably the water quality, it's not exactly the best at the moment. Having spent the last seven years or so on Adelaide (back)water, I'm not too good at identifying minerally flavours. I do notice it in the pils though.

But, little aroma and underwhelming bitterness? That's not the beer I had :)

Might have to check it out. Still some left?

I too have noticed a change in the LC beers. Particularly in the bottled Rogers. The metallic taste has been horrible lately, and I've been getting an overly bitter flavour lately too, as though the beer is warm and someones added some extra soda water to it. It's so bad I've stopped buying Rogers in bottles. I'd be interested to hear LC's comments about this change. Something is definately not the same as a few years back.

Need to get another brew on I think.

I get the metallic taste in the first swig of LCPA I drink. Don't notice it after that, but I find I've really got to push thru that first mouthfull to find the good beer beneath.

I've often wondered if it is the bottles or caps. I've had it on other beers before too.
But lately every 6 pack of rogers I've bought has had 6 crap beers in it. Used to be my favourite brew.

But, little aroma and underwhelming bitterness? That's not the beer I had

Your probably right Kai. My review may have been a little harsh, but I was comparing aroma to ye-olde LCPA & my bitterness senses are calibrated from Promash so my idea of a 45IBU beer is lingeringly bitter... (Dig mentioned this problem earlier in this thread)

I still remember when LCPA first came out. Those fresh cascade flowers used to pack a real aromatic and crisp flavour punch. This beer awoke me from a swill drinking beer slumber and so standing by and watching its quality drop (no doubt production constraints have a lot to do with it ) saddens me deeply.

Asher

I still remember when LCPA first came out. Those fresh cascade flowers used to pack a real aromatic and crisp flavour punch.
Asher
Thats what I found missing. I felt the malt/bitterness was well balanced, but reading the introductory posts which suggested that not a hop flower was spared in the production of this beer, I could not help but wonder where the floral flavours and aroma went. On a more cynical note, I have never been to that brewery and not have to search for a seat, so if the place is always full, why blow dollars trying to capture the tiny percent of us few discerning grizzlers.

Might have to check it out. Still some left?

I too have noticed a change in the LC beers. Particularly in the bottled Rogers. The metallic taste has been horrible lately, and I've been getting an overly bitter flavour lately too, as though the beer is warm and someones added some extra soda water to it. It's so bad I've stopped buying Rogers in bottles. I'd be interested to hear LC's comments about this change. Something is definately not the same as a few years back.

Need to get another brew on I think.
I had a 6-pack of LCPA nothing like what I remembered. Not so much a metallic taste but no hop flavour just bitterness.

Your probably right Kai. My review may have been a little harsh, but I was comparing aroma to ye-olde LCPA & my bitterness senses are calibrated from Promash so my idea of a 45IBU beer is lingeringly bitter... (Dig mentioned this problem earlier in this thread)

I still remember when LCPA first came out. Those fresh cascade flowers used to pack a real aromatic and crisp flavour punch. This beer awoke me from a swill drinking beer slumber and so standing by and watching its quality drop (no doubt production constraints have a lot to do with it ) saddens me deeply.

Asher

Hear Hear!!

I still buy LCPA from time to time longing for that flavour hit I remember it for. LCPA again was the beer that awakened me from the everyday swill!!

I miss you LCPA!

Q

Asher

I remember the fantastic aroma of a few years back too when I first had the occasional pale. Passionfruit and a stint of marvellous lychee. I get a lot of that passionfruit on the knowledge but it is muted slightly by the malt and I also suspect that the small B Saaz addition is emphasising it. I'm looking forward to the new batches of pale with this seasons hops to see how they turn out.

Let's see if Dig can get it sorted out when he gets there...

Let's see if Dig can get it sorted out when he gets there...
In fairness to the LC crew, they're doing an absolutely outstanding job producing as much beer as they do with their little brewhouse and the growth they've achieved is a testament to the quality of their beer they're cranking out. Two thumbs up from me. When the new brewery comes online later this year, I think that any issues with variability of character will be a thing of the past.

Oh, and if you're after a beer that smells and tastes like a grapefruit, zested roughly on some raw sawn cedar with a good squeeze of nectarine.... you'll need to make the trip to Margaret River.

Latest posts

Back