The Keezer Build

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BKBrews said:
No they don't - I opted for the JG fittings instead. Bought from Cheeky Peak brewery as a complete set. Perlick 650SS tap, 100mm SS shank and JG push-in fitting for 8mm OD line.
Ah fair enough. I didn't know you could get them like that. I do have push in fittings on my disconnects that I'm really happy with so far. I haven't got barbed or push in fittings on my font set up; it's a flooded font so it just has the stainless tubes poking out of the bottom to attach the beer lines to. Bit of a muck around trying to get my 5mm ID lines over the 8mm diameter tubes, but I got there and they're pouring well. :D

Going to liquid nails the collar into place tonight, so that I can get cracking on the tiling tomorrow. Very nervous about this - the tiles on the side of the collar will be very close to sitting proud of the fridge. If I get the collar wrong by even 1mm, it will be out on each side. Front and back will be fine, because if anything, I made the collar slightly too narrow on these sides so there's plenty of room.

I've been searching for suitable insulation for what feels like days and I've finally found a good solution. Most of my enquiries were about products that were either too expensive or you couldn't get in small orders. I've opted for the TradeSelect Thermal Break 8, which is an 8mm foil insulation filled with XPE foam. I got a 1350mmx1000mm sheet for $18, which will be enough to put 2 layers on each inside face of the collar (16mm total insulation).

Coming together now!

Mate do you have a plan for making sure the holes for the shanks are straight? I did mine with a handheld drill and was way out of line (~5mm) by time I hit the back. I was able to widen the holes out a bit so the shanks were straight enough by the time I did up all the nuts but it was a lot more difficult than I was expecting it to be. Reckon it might be harder again having to deal with the tiles as well? Just checking cos it may be easier to do that part before you attach it permanently to the freezer.

Another tip is to make sure that your shanks are actually long enough to go completely through the collar with enough of the shank sitting proud to attach the JG fittings. My first lot of shanks turned out to not be quite long enough, even though they were longer than the width of the collar. I wound up having to bore out a recess for the nuts to sit in to get enough shank exposed for the JG fittings. Not the end of the world but one more complication that I wasn't expecting.

All good points mate.

I'm pre-drilling the holes in my tiles prior to fitment and they're only 8mm thick, so I shouldn't have too many issues. In regards to drilling the collar, because I'm tiling it, the frame is only 25mm thick (19mm pine + 6mm villaboard), so should be quite easy to keep it straight, compared to people having to cut straight through 30 - 40mm of pine.

My shanks are 100mm long, so thankfully that will be fine. Total thickness of the collar completely tiled is only 36mm.

On top of all of that, my tradie mate is assisting me and I think he drills about 500 holes per day, in a construction setting, so I can just blame him if things are off :p

Haha good stuff mate, sounds like you've got yours planned out a lot better than I did ;)

Small spirit level attached to the top of your drill will help

I fixed the collar to the freezer tonight with liquid nails. That stuff gets EVERYWHERE.

Tip for new players: if I was to do this again, I would definitely build the collar based on the freezer frame dimensions, not the lid dimensions. Now that I think about it I don't even know why I did it that way.

It's very, very messy.

But I'm happy to report that I'm super stoked right now. The tiling was an absolute success and a piece of piss too. Tips for anyone attempting it: butter that adhesive on by the bucket load!! Unfortunately I started from the front of the Keezer, because my tap placement dictated my tiling pattern, so the front is probably the worst of the lot as I didn't use enough adhesive. It doesn't look any different to the other sides, I'm just hoping the tiles grab properly and I don't have any issues. Only other issue was my aluminium edging gaps. The adhesive compressed further than I thought (used a 6mm trowel), so they're jutting out by a few mm. No biggie.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1476506881.445868.jpg

Not sure how your taps will screw into place (thread through and backing nut?) but be careful tightening them up on the tiles, especially as the holes are in the middle of the tile. Speaking from plumbing experience when I'd be winding on taps trying to get them level and having to turn that little bit more, and.....ping!!
Using a rubber 'o' ring or fibre washer between the backing of the tap and the tile face to give a soft buffer, then grouting or silicone around the gap maybe.
You'd hate to mess up such a nice build.

Nattydstar said:
How'd the beer turn out mate? They carbonated?
Dunno yet mate, gonna have to wait until tomorrow at the earliest to find out. Have to wait 24 hours prior to grouting , so once it's grouted I'll put it back in its final resting place, chuck the kegs in and crank it up.

Cheeky Peak are sending me some new clamps too because the ones they sent were too small, so don't really want to put it all together before I get them!!

All finished and trial plumbed. Had to try, but not cold yet and not properly carbonated after natural priming. Can't wait to get the rest of the taps!

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1476619351.481083.jpg

I may only have a few brews under my belt and they may be far, far from perfect, but God I'm hooked. Can you really beat having 20 odd litres ready to go? Still beats 95% of the crap out there in commercial land and will only get better!ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1477041453.871571.jpg

Looks good. Only way to beat it is by having 100 odd litres ready to go. :beer:

earle said:
Looks good. Only way to beat it is by having 100 odd litres ready to go. :beer:
I've got 40 odd litres kegged, but I was referring to each 19L keg. I finally understand why everyone says making the move to kegging is the best thing they ever did.

There's more to it than just quantity. There are many advantages to not having to deal with bottles.

You get more control over carbonation.

You can adjust your beer, by for example throwing a hand full of hops into the keg, if you find the result lacking.

Back