The Evolution Of Vb

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so for all us young fellas 18 to 30 y.o. who arent able to comment on the good old days of flavoured beers what are the best beers which are common on the selves of most half decient bottle-os? obviously it will vary between people but would be good to get out and try some highly rated beers which dont get a mention outside of the bewing fraternity.

white stag and TEDS IMO better then any other beer on tap in most pubs

cheers jake

Coopers, Boags and Toothey's Old

well they cant be any worse than VB or NEW
Someone bought me a pint of tooheys NEW by mistake once, when this was realised they asked me what I thought of it, I told them "at least its got a good lace cling".

I'm only 20 but I decided long ago if I was at a pub and all they had was megaswill I'd stick to the water. That said most here have CSA and some have Coopers Stout :icon_chickcheers:

haysie,

No bloody wonder you lot are staying away in droves when That Bloody Woman has bankrupted the state & is selling off everything that's not nailed down. :angry:

All Sunshine Coast water & infrastructure paid for by the ratepayers up here over many years has been commandeered & can be pumped to Brisbane at the flick of a switch by That Bloody Woman with no recompense at all. Add the outrageous electricity charges that were supposed to get cheaper after opening up to competition. :lol: Plus the loss of our 8 cents a litre petrol subsidy now giving us the most expensive petrol in Australia plus numerous other increases in charges & rates sucking the lifeblood out of us & you might get a glimmer of why we hanker for the good old days before the invasion?

Gettin a few in me tonight. Cheers & happy brewing.

TP

While we are at it there were queues right round the block to Centrelink for a $1000.00 per person payout for post Cyclone Yasi for anybody who was without power for longer than 48hours.
A house containing 6 adults and 10 kids was partying for a week solid.

Still OT got to laugh at the nerks you see in the Blue Sky Brewery drinking megaswill out of the bottle thinking they look so smart when there is a delicious Pilsner to be had in pints. OOw can't drink that muck it is cloudy. :beer:

Maybe I've had too many already, but I think an extra X snuck in on that one?

Is there a story behind that?
that's right. it was a limited realease to celebrate 5 qld state of origin wins in a row.

... I can feel a xxxx coming on.... hang on i thought this was a vb thread....

edit: i carnt speel

In todays News Mail Bundaberg around page 3 theres a story about VB exceeding the sales of xxxx here in Qld.

Looking through some of my beer reading materials (i have some on beer history as well as brewing). Some of them blame the 6 o'clock swill for the decline in body/hops/flavour/ being good. The logic seems to be that the biggest sales factor at the time was being able to get as many down as fast as possible and anything that made that harder to do or more expensive was ditched. (i'm only in my 20's so i only have books to tell me)

On a business level when your doing well selling crap to a market that loves crap why would you try and improve?

QLD still seems to be behind the times with the craft beer movement. There isnt an actual brewery in brisbane city (brewhouse is as close as we get) when there are heaps in melb. As for bottle shops once you get further north than noosa you have to find a warehouse style bottle-o before you can ask for an ale without the staff looking at you like your from mars. (i may be funny looking but i'm not green :lol: )

Why are there so few micro's in qld? is it the state laws? the demand? supply costs? or has nobody gotten around to it yet?

Having lived in Queensland now since 1977 my observations about Queensland beer drinking are:

In the pubs because there were only two beers until the 1980s, most older Queenslanders grew up being told what to drink. Pubs were never about beer, they were about mates getting together and gasbagging then going home for tea.

Similarly barbecues, parties and get togethers were more about mateship - note that ALL the heavy promotion around XXXX gold has been male-group oriented. Carlton Mid extended this concept in their big advertising push, although you don't see much Mid around any more.
So if you brought a six pack of Gold to a BBQ you were absolutely safe and normal and socially acceptable. If you brought a six of Carbine Stout you would be regarded as a possible pedo or commo.

Apart from the BBQ and pub scene, beer is a thirst quencher due to the climate (this concept taken to the extreme in the NT) - hence the popularity of Gold, and the lighter and least flavour the better.

We do not have daylight saving and for most of the year it's dark around 6 pm so there isn't much of an after hours scene except in the CBD. Families or groups of friends lounging around sipping craft beers is a foreign concept. Often the Platform Bar etc will only have a few drinkers once the rush hour is over.

If you want to get pissed, alcopops and cask wine seem to be the go, and have been for a decade or more.

Edit: amongst the chattering classes wine has been the thing for the last 15 years, ever since Australians realised that they were permitted to use French words like Chardonnay and PinOH NWAR without being branded a screaming shirt lifter - prior to that they were restricted to Blue Nun or Cold Duck. Because beer was obviously the preserve of the flanelette and mullet hairdo set, the chattering classes retreated into a massively growing and more complex wine appreciation scene as their comfort blanket and new measure of social acceptability.

It's this class that craft beer is targetting, the regular beer drinking class will remain immune to malt and hops. Although the current cheap flood of Oettinger and Henninger etc may sway them away from VB and XXXX - hopefully.

Having lived in Queensland now since 1977 my observations about Queensland beer drinking are:

In the pubs because there were only two beers until the 1980s, most older Queenslanders grew up being told what to drink. Pubs were never about beer, they were about mates getting together and gasbagging then going home for tea.

Similarly barbecues, parties and get togethers were more about mateship - note that ALL the heavy promotion around XXXX gold has been male-group oriented. Carlton Mid extended this concept in their big advertising push, although you don't see much Mid around any more.
So if you brought a six pack of Gold to a BBQ you were absolutely safe and normal and socially acceptable. If you brought a six of Carbine Stout you would be regarded as a possible pedo or commo.

Apart from the BBQ and pub scene, beer is a thirst quencher due to the climate (this concept taken to the extreme in the NT) - hence the popularity of Gold, and the lighter and least flavour the better.

We do not have daylight saving and for most of the year it's dark around 6 pm so there isn't much of an after hours scene except in the CBD. Families or groups of friends lounging around sipping craft beers is a foreign concept. Often the Platform Bar etc will only have a few drinkers once the rush hour is over.

If you want to get pissed, alcopops and cask wine seem to be the go, and have been for a decade or more.

Edit: amongst the chattering classes wine has been the thing for the last 15 years, ever since Australians realised that they were permitted to use French words like Chardonnay and PinOH NWAR without being branded a screaming shirt lifter - prior to that they were restricted to Blue Nun or Cold Duck. Because beer was obviously the preserve of the flanelette and mullet hairdo set, the chattering classes retreated into a massively growing and more complex wine appreciation scene as their comfort blanket and new measure of social acceptability.

It's this class that craft beer is targetting, the regular beer drinking class will remain immune to malt and hops. Although the current cheap flood of Oettinger and Henninger etc may sway them away from VB and XXXX - hopefully.

Pretty much hit it on the head. People drink fizzy malt soda water. I've tried to talk ale, AAA, APA, hops and I get blank stares and if I tell anyone I homebrew, it's a case of "that's cheap and nasty beer" (notwithstanding the fact that XXXX Gold is that).

Cheap Oettinger is the bomb on a poor week, though. It's still classes above anything "normal".

Speaking of German beer - the concept of the "wine" middle class could be extended to German/Dutch lagers/pilsners. You can get away with bringing that, and be labelled "slightly fancy" or a bit of class snob, but otherwise, it is acceptable, as bringing a bottle of Pino Gris. Most people will take it as a sign that you aren't bringing them any old junk, and that you have "refined" tastes. Even if it is BUL at the same factory as VB or XXXX (or by the same brewer).

I've given up. If someone comes over, I just serve them "beer" - no questions, no prelude, nothing. They inevitably like it, and I just tell them that it's home brew or some microbrewed beer. Generally I can go toward hoppy but not bitter beer, and I'll never have a complaint.

Goomba

Mafro has raised about the smartest and as near as i can tell most insightful point so far. The six o'clock swill impacted nearly every aspect of drinking in australia in almost every area - it certainly changed the beers too.

Familiar beers taste different than they did when i was younger - mainly i suspect because since then i have tasted many more things, have a much more educated and experienced palate, and like all my senses, as I have aged from a 20yo to a 40yo my sense of taste and smell have dulled and while more carefully tuned, are blunter instruments than they used to be.

Sure the beers have changed too - but i strongly suspect that the beers are more similar to the way they were 20 years ago, than are the minds and tastebuds of the people who are tasting them.

Looking through some of my beer reading materials (i have some on beer history as well as brewing). Some of them blame the 6 o'clock swill for the decline in body/hops/flavour/ being good. The logic seems to be that the biggest sales factor at the time was being able to get as many down as fast as possible and anything that made that harder to do or more expensive was ditched. (i'm only in my 20's so i only have books to tell me)

On a business level when your doing well selling crap to a market that loves crap why would you try and improve?

QLD still seems to be behind the times with the craft beer movement. There isnt an actual brewery in brisbane city (brewhouse is as close as we get) when there are heaps in melb. As for bottle shops once you get further north than noosa you have to find a warehouse style bottle-o before you can ask for an ale without the staff looking at you like your from mars. (i may be funny looking but i'm not green :lol: )

Why are there so few micro's in qld? is it the state laws? the demand? supply costs? or has nobody gotten around to it yet?

The International at Spring Hill has a micropub (again, just outside the CBD, though not really. IIRC some of the guys went and thought some of the beers reasonable.

I'd love to own a micropub, but it's an expensive hobby. That's one of those things you do when you've come into a lot of money, and have the luxury of bleeding losses for a fair period of time. If you're lucky, you'll run it at a small profit after a few years. I'd even be satisfied with running it at cost, if someone dies and leaves me with a kazillion dollars for a hobby like that.

Realistically, there needs to be a market with demand. I don't know that there is one. I think the best way there can be a market is for more places like archive and nectar to open around the place, stock unusual beers, build up a following of these micros (s/a Bacchus). Build demand by having profitable bars and bottleshops with these little brews as part of their array. It's just going to take time.

Just setting up a brewpub, swinging open the doors and hoping the punters keep you afloat is plain old fashioned fantasy. There needs to a demand created and it needs to be a structured process to create this demand.

Goomba

The International Hotel at Spring Hill is in a near CBD suburb where they still have people of social disadvantage in the area - it's sort of our equivalent of Glebe or Newtown or Balmain or whatever, on a much smaller scale, and you can still see old guys in the morning walking up the street to get their paper in their pyjamas and dressing gown with a dog following, no lead and they couldn't give a stuff. Also students, taxi drivers in sharehouses and people who walk around with their eyes down muttering "******* ******* (twitch) ******* ******* (twitch)" you know the sort of area. And one of the attractions of the IH is that they do $5 pints, so when the old guys have changed out of their jammies and ended up in the pub with the form guide watching the TAB screen they are more often than not supping on a pint of Irish Red. I was sitting near an indigenous lady who had given up muttering "*******" for her morning break and was also drinking a pint of house brew. I think a good cheaply sold craft beer in pints, not schmiddies, accessible to a wide selection of the population including locals is far better than trying to attract CBD workers on the way home to the train.

Back