The Evolution Of Vb

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry for the derailing of the VB portion of this thread.
xxxx_bottles.jpg

But I would love to see the old bottles and label back. Note the little throw down grenades wouldnt mind some of those for my strong ales.

Melbourne's got rain and Sydney's got yuppies,
Tassie got the chop and we got lucky,
Nobody does it like up here does it,
We love it up here,
We don't just like it, we love it!
We love it up here,
The people the places, the mates the faces,
The XXXX, yep, the beer up here, we love it up here!

Melbourne's got rain and Sydney's got yuppies,
Tassie got the chop and we got lucky,
Nobody does it like up here does it,
We love it up here,
We love it up here,
The people the places, the mates the faces,
The XXXX, yep, the beer up here, we love it up here!

Every megaswill beer tasted better outta hand grenades.
Even KB FFS.

The real question is when did they start brewing high gravity and adding iso-hop at bottling? I bet that's when it went south.

Thats because of all the bloody Victorians that have moved up here.

Ain't that the truth. With any luck the floods, cyclones and humidity will send a few back to Fosters central.

The QLD'ers obviously don't like their XXXX that much. There is now more VB sold in QLD than XXXX.

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/restau...?skin=text-only

In the artcle it says:

"In the whole of Queensland there would be no more than eight craft breweries while you can expect to see the same amount in the Melbourne CBD alone," he said.
He said a generation of drinkers were coming through who have been raised on sugary foods and preferred sweeter drinks such as wines and ciders​

I think the rise in popularity of spirit & soft drink mixes (eg. bourbon & Coke, rum & Coke etc) is also very important factor driving declining beer sales and the dumbing down of traditional favourite brews. Look over the fence at any backyard BBQ and many of the young blokes are standing around with a can of these sugary mixes in their hands instead of a beer. So a preference for sweetness develops. The major breweries are chasing this lost market share (and the biggest consuming market segment) by developing sweeter, less hoppy beers under the same brand/label names that have been around for generations. The added benefit is that they are also cheaper and quicker to brew?

So, 8 micro breweries in QLD.

Burleigh Brewing
MT Brewery
Bacchus Brewing
The Brewhouse
Red Bay Brewery
Burkes Brewing Company
Preservation Brewery
Sunshine Coast Brewery
Blue Sky Brewery

I get 9.

Burleigh Brewing
MT Brewery
Bacchus Brewing
The Brewhouse
Red Bay Brewery
Burkes Brewing Company
Preservation Brewery
Sunshine Coast Brewery
Blue Sky Brewery

I get 9.

You forgot my place Geoff!

:icon_cheers:

Paul

I also remember that Fosters , bought out a VB Original beer , about 7 or 8 years ago...
I didn't mind that one , but it also makes me wonder why they did this...has VB really changed so much , that they needed to remind people of what it used to taste like ? It was also in 330ml bottles...but the same price as "normal" VB....$$$$$
Another interesting thing to note is that Fosters are in deep shit.They are in the process of breaking up their wine and beer divisions , back to two separate entities.Seems the amalgamation didn't go so well....I also wouldn't be surprised if a large multi-national make a play for them....
There is also the continual slipping , of sales , of VB....I can't remeber the figure now , but it seems that they have lost quite a bit of market share over the last 2 years....
Interestingly though , Coopers still only hold 5 % market share , with Fosters and Lion Nathan holding the most...
It does seem to me , though , the only way there will be a real change with beers , is when the tax dept give craft brewery's their tax breaks , to bring it into line with the MASSIVE benefits the wine industry get...
I just wonder , if this happens , will VB still exist...or will it have been replaced by another well marketed mega-swill beer ,brewed under licence lol
Cheers
Ferg

That VB original just seemed to come from nowhere and became my choice of beer. Over the standard VB, the taste was quite good. Seemed like some effort was put in. And then it just seemed to dissapear of the shelf as quick as it arrived...

In the artcle it says:

"In the whole of Queensland there would be no more than eight craft breweries while you can expect to see the same amount in the Melbourne CBD alone," he said.
He said a generation of drinkers were coming through who have been raised on sugary foods and preferred sweeter drinks such as wines and ciders​

I think the rise in popularity of spirit & soft drink mixes (eg. bourbon & Coke, rum & Coke etc) is also very important factor driving declining beer sales and the dumbing down of traditional favourite brews. Look over the fence at any backyard BBQ and many of the young blokes are standing around with a can of these sugary mixes in their hands instead of a beer. So a preference for sweetness develops. The major breweries are chasing this lost market share (and the biggest consuming market segment) by developing sweeter, less hoppy beers under the same brand/label names that have been around for generations. The added benefit is that they are also cheaper and quicker to brew?

Off topic but -

There is 8 craft breweries in the Melbourne CBD? Does he mean craft beer bars?

Thats because of all the bloody Victorians that have moved up here.

Ain't that the truth. With any luck the floods, cyclones and humidity will send a few back to Fosters central.

The world's biggest +1 Winkle & Bradsbrew but don't forget the cockroaches.
This is nothing like World Wars 1 & 2. This is invasion by stealth. You can tell those going back (and the ones staying) from me to take\send their bloody aerial ping pong back where it came from too.

To keep this post on-topic --- As an underage 18 year old (not a typo) in a Queensland country town with 23 pubs & 20,000 people it was no suprise in those days that the only two pubs to struggle were the non-XXXX pubs (Carlton). And yes, I agree entirely that the XXXX today is radically different from the XXXX of my youth.

TP

Come on Pete you still look 18. :icon_cheers:

Burleigh Brewing
MT Brewery
Bacchus Brewing
The Brewhouse
Red Bay Brewery
Burkes Brewing Company
Preservation Brewery
Sunshine Coast Brewery
Blue Sky Brewery

I get 9.

It is still a sad state of affairs when the entire state can't get out of single figures.

The answer is obviously a MicroUDLewry - where inhouse ethanol and fizzy drink mixers are on tap!

The world is a supertanker and you're in a rowboat.

................... And yes, I agree entirely that the XXXX today is radically different from the XXXX of my youth.

TP

I haven't met him yet, but my youth drinks Woodstocks, I've told him and told him that if he keeps doing that I'll hit him with my handbag and I won't be going out with him any more.

Pete did you get to the International Hotel on Friday and try the beers there?

The world's biggest +1 Winkle & Bradsbrew but don't forget the cockroaches.
This is nothing like World Wars 1 & 2. This is invasion by stealth. You can tell those going back (and the ones staying) from me to take\send their bloody aerial ping pong back where it came from too.

To keep this post on-topic --- As an underage 18 year old (not a typo) in a Queensland country town with 23 pubs & 20,000 people it was no suprise in those days that the only two pubs to struggle were the non-XXXX pubs (Carlton). And yes, I agree entirely that the XXXX today is radically different from the XXXX of my youth.

TP

Sour grapes TP. The last time we had a woman, and I say that only by her dress, our state fell apart. Look out brussel sprout as they say.
Not many people are jumping ship to your homeland these days, that was back when you had real employment, growth and econimoc stability, its not there anymore......i.e jump forward 10 years and their isnt too many southerners moving and spending. I`ll stay put for now and gloat when she has screwed all you over, and she will. All women do!
Did I say she....

Pete did you get to the International Hotel on Friday and try the beers there?

Yes I did but only for about 70 minutes which is not much time to give all 4 beers on tap a go but I managed quite comfortably thanks to selected use of the smallest glasses in the house. ;)
Clear favourite of the four was of course the Irish Red (Schooner) with the Indian Chief (wheatie), Belgian Pale, & (?) Pilsener just standard fare to this old fella's palate.

Have I mentioned the Geronimo yet? (Schooner of it):lol: No info on it at all but I imagine it's an AIPA?
Bloody good tucker Bribie. What a shame it's in excess of 7.5%. I've talked to the bar manager & he's willing to filll one of my growlers with the stuff next time I call in. :super:
Not too sure how I'm going to survive 2 litres of Geronimo but at least I won't be drink driving. :lol:

TP

Back in my day the old 3X wasn't a bad drop untill they brought out the the best thing ever "tinned piss" on draught.

haysie,

No bloody wonder you lot are staying away in droves when That Bloody Woman has bankrupted the state & is selling off everything that's not nailed down. :angry:

All Sunshine Coast water & infrastructure paid for by the ratepayers up here over many years has been commandeered & can be pumped to Brisbane at the flick of a switch by That Bloody Woman with no recompense at all. Add the outrageous electricity charges that were supposed to get cheaper after opening up to competition. :lol: Plus the loss of our 8 cents a litre petrol subsidy now giving us the most expensive petrol in Australia plus numerous other increases in charges & rates sucking the lifeblood out of us & you might get a glimmer of why we hanker for the good old days before the invasion?

Gettin a few in me tonight. Cheers & happy brewing.

TP

so for all us young fellas 18 to 30 y.o. who arent able to comment on the good old days of flavoured beers what are the best beers which are common on the selves of most half decient bottle-os? obviously it will vary between people but would be good to get out and try some highly rated beers which dont get a mention outside of the bewing fraternity.

white stag and TEDS IMO better then any other beer on tap in most pubs

cheers jake

Back