The Encapsulated Hop Pellet Storage Method

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pumpy

Pumpy's Brewery.
Reaction score
The encapsulated hop pellet storage method

I would just like to share with you a great way to store your hops pellets, especially if you buy bulk and dont want to loose the great aroma and freshness in the remaining hops once you have broken the vacuum silver foil seal.

The idea is taken from my sister who freezes fresh herbs in ice blocks.

1) Measure the hops into convenient suitable quantities 10, 15 or 20 gram lots and place them in a freezeable mould (like for making ice lollys or container like (plastic cups), add some filtered water.

2) Wait for the hops pellets sink to the bottom of the water so they will be covered with a layer of water.

3) Freeze them overnight.

4) Bag them and clearly mark the hop weight/ AA / variety.

5) To use just add to the boil in the normal way and the ice quickly melts and lovely fresh hops in your wort.

It makes hop additions are easier to manage on brew day.

No worry about hops stored in this way drying out or loosing their aroma and essential oils.

Hopping Schedule hop sets

When I am happy with a hopping schedule:-
I pre measure and encapsulate the hops in advance the hopping schedule, for a few batches of my always on tap House English Bitter in three ice blocks.

I have it quite refined so I dont get mixed up I encapsulate the different hops in different shape moulds.

Fuggles in a square shape
Goldings in a triangle
Northern brewer in a round shape.

Then I bag the encapsulated hops and label

On Brew Day drop in the ice blocks at the right time in the boil.

How easy is that !! Hops encapsulated in their own little time machine of H2O.

Pumpys Encapsulated Hop storage method :)

Thanks PZ I will post some pictures when I get home

Pumpy :)

Here is a picture of a block of encapsulated hops and a suitable mould

encapsulated_hops.JPG

Instead of water you can also make them using the malt extract

Sounds like a good method, Pumpy. I also have some of those ice block moulds so ... :)

Do you seal the ice blocks in any way?

Sounds like a good method, Pumpy. I also have some of those ice block moulds so ... :)

Do you seal the ice blocks in any way?

Stuster , so far I dont but when I have made them I still put them in a polybag and suck all the air out just a habit.

Sometime the hops are the last thing I think weighing out on brew day and this organises me and gives me some discipline .

I know it works with my sisters fresh herbs and I have done about four times now .

pumpy :)

Well, if you've done it and it works then there we go. I was wondering if bags around the blocks would protect them from absorbing any other flavours in the fridge/freezer. Just have to make sure the kids don't take them by mistake. ;)

Well, if you've done it and it works then there we go. I was wondering if bags around the blocks would protect them from absorbing any other flavours in the fridge/freezer. Just have to make sure the kids don't take them by mistake. ;)

I think that is a good idea Stuster every bit helps retain the aroma and keep unwanted flavours out :)

Pumpy

Mmmm.... Hopsicles. Those'd last about a day in my freezer before i got curious. :)

Latest posts

Back