Quantcast

The Day I Got Carried Away

Aussie Home Brewer

Help Support Aussie Home Brewer:

dickTed

Reaction score
My first all extract brew could be a little strong.

It had 4kg LME, 500g crystal, 500g dextrose & 250ml maple syrup.

The OG which I checked about 20 times was 1.098, and it was made a week ago and SG is now down to 1.018. I am going to rack & dry hop it tomorrow.

Perhaps I should quickly make another weaker brew, and blend them.

On the other hand, when I bottle it, I could leave it for a few months to mellow.

Any better ideas?

Kai

Fermentation Assistant
Reaction score
Where's the hops? Did you have a kit to go with that LME?

Aaron

Reaction score
That is a big beer. Hopefully you have some hops in there. I would let it go and see how it turns out. Experimentation is good.

jgriffin

No Longer Brewin!
Reaction score
I punched those figures into beersmith, and it gave me 1.064. You may have found that the syrup sat at the bottom of the fermenter and gave you too high a reading. It also gives an FG fo 1.017, which matches, i doubt you could get an extract 1.098 beer to finish anywhere near that low.

dickTed

Reaction score
40g Saaz (60min) 15g Cascade (30min), and the maple syrup went into boil for last 10 mins with the dextrose and half tab Irish moss.

I made a starter from 2 pkts dry yeast (Cooper ale yeast out of the Sparkling ale kits). The starter hadn't started by the time I pitched it, but 3 hours later it was going great guns.

Also put at least 5 lt water into the fermenter before I poured the cooled wort in, so I doubt that the syrup was concentrated at the bottom.

The sample sat in the jar for about 15 mins with the hydrometer in it before I took that reading. (gave it a spin)

Usually I tip the first sample jar-full down the sink, and take a second one, which I didn't do this time.

Anyway I took the sample just before I pitched, so it had just been given a good stir.

Ross

CraftBrewer
Reaction score
dickted,

What was the size of the batch? If a standard 23L brew, I don't see how those, ingredients gave you that gravity, that's without even calculating it...

berto

Reaction score
I agree. For a 2 can brew which is 3.4kg of extract you gfet nowhere near that. I had the same thing happen to me in a partial, after boiling for an hour the syrup hadnt mixed right through. Realised it was wrong at the start, gave it a huge stir and it dropped a good 30 points

Latest posts