The Cubical - for want of a better name

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SergeMarx

Reaction score
I've been wondering for a while about using cubes as fermenters - which I already do - but upside down, with a valve in the lid for removing and saving the yeast cake, while the original valve is open with a blow off tube attached. had some time, so I built it, looking forward to giving it a crack. iCubeFerm.JPG

love it! great innovation. Will be watching this thread to see how the prototype works and copying it myself before too long I reckon!

Have another cube of about 6 litres of an English Bitter fermented out - I'll swap out the lids and get the cold crash going, see how it performs

** edit - after I build the stand of course :)

Possibly use a smaller ball valve that will allow a PET bottle to be attached and removed like they do on the Williams Warn model.

SergeMarx said:
I've been wondering for a while about using cubes as fermenters - which I already do - but upside down, with a valve in the lid for removing and saving the yeast cake, while the original valve is open with a blow off tube attached. had some time, so I built it, looking forward to giving it a crack.
attachicon.gif
iCubeFerm.JPG
You could just attach the blow off to the tap. I have fermented in a cube on its side like that. There are some pictures in this thread post #52.

S.E said:
You could just attach the blow off to the tap. I have fermented in a cube on its side like that. There are some pictures in this thread post #52.
Yep that's what I mean.

Found an old freezer basket which holds it all up the right (wrong) way, so the lid is being cleaned now and will try on the batch in the fridge. I suspect the handle may be a problem, but only one way to find out.

in theory i should be able to no chill in the cube, then replace cap and ferment in the cube, cold crash and bulk prime in the cube, and bottle from the cube by attaching a wand. I liked the thermowell cap mod in another thread, and I'd like to look at a dry hopping cap mod too.

SergeMarx said:
Yep that's what I mean.

Found an old freezer basket which holds it all up the right (wrong) way, so the lid is being cleaned now and will try on the batch in the fridge. I suspect the handle may be a problem, but only one way to find out.

in theory i should be able to no chill in the cube, then replace cap and ferment in the cube, cold crash and bulk prime in the cube, and bottle from the cube by attaching a wand. I liked the thermowell cap mod in another thread, and I'd like to look at a dry hopping cap mod too.
I had originally been thinking along the same lines as you and fit a valve to the cap to remove yeast but then intended to leave the beer in the cube and cask condition so it would remain in the same cube from no chill to dispense.

I decided I probably wouldn’t be able to remove enough yeast without a cone for it to work so dropped the idea. I was going to ferment with the cube on its side then tip it upside down so most of the yeast slides down to the valve (and wouldn’t get trapped in the handle)

I saw a recent post about this, so thought I'd post a follow up. I found it difficult to keep the jerry at the right angle to concentrate the yeast, and further, the aperture was too small to release the trub. In the end a failed idea that may work with refinement. The jerry lid us now used on my star stan mix and it's great for that!

Latest posts

Back