The Cost Of Brewing.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I very rarely drink if Im not making ye olde home brew, so technically its costing me a fucken fortune.

Yes, but worth every cent. :D

I've set my system up on a students income (ie none) and i never have to buy beer. Before homebrew i had to budget for beer and would always run out.

After i got my pot and, burner and bag set up the only thing i had to budget for was grain and hops (i resuse yeast till the outside of the fermenter has more yeast then the inside, so i don't account for it). Anyway, i never run out of beer, which means it must be cheaper then buying it. I wasn't really buying expensive beer either, just coopers sparkling.

I've stopped counting, it's a hobby so it is ok to cost money; that's why I work to have fun.

I think overall brewing would work out heaps cheaper than buying decent commercial beers. I buy grain and hops in bulk etc so ingredients are cheap. Even by the time I factor in my brew rig, power to run extra fridges etc I think I'm still ahead.

Now my V8 commodore, I think I may be behind in cost justification; I really do need that higher stall ratio and bigger cam to get me an 11 sec pass :rolleyes:

QldKev

i only disagree on one point here. beer does not taste better than a freshly caught fish,just different.
nothing on earth beats eating a fish youve caught yourself that day and washing it down with a pint of your own home made beer.
Yep gotta agree with u there!! :D

My cheapest kegs cost around $8, or 50c a litre.

Most expensive are around $1 a litre, or $20 worth of ingredients.

I have negligible gear costs and buy everything in bulk where possible. I reuse yeast at least 3 times.

As Skyline enthusiasts or 4WDers how much their hobby saves them!

As said previously it's a hobby, with the added benefit of actually saving money. This is why I love having people round to drink (this DOESN'T! save me money ;)).

Nothing quite like having people say "This isn't homebrew - the last homebrew I was given I had to tip down the sink", and then promptly ask for a refill and somewhere to stay the night :)

Now my V8 commodore, I think I may be behind in cost justification; I really do need that higher stall ratio and bigger cam to get me an 11 sec pass :rolleyes:

There's your problem, you see? If an 11 sec pass is the goal, cost justification is standing in the way of said goal and is therefore a dragon you must slay.

Chasing hundredth's on the strip however seems to require more justification than most hobbies.
BANG!! - ****! there goes another grand and a Saturday laying on the mechanics creeper..

All the money I have spent on gear and ingredients has paid for itself. Although nearly 3 years of obsession to brew the perfect beer. Is time money?

i only disagree on one point here. beer does not taste better than a freshly caught fish,just different.
nothing on earth beats eating a fish youve caught yourself that day and washing it down with a pint of your own home made beer.

Brewing like fishing should never be about the cost once you are into it.

Fished more many many years and it was always cheaper to go down to the local fisho and buy that damn snapper but it was never as fun as catching one for yourself.

Same can be said about brewing. Probably cheaper to go to your local and squirt a pint of megaswill down ya gullet than to brew it at home. But that's just not the point of home brewing, huh? If you are worried about the costs then I suggest that YOU JUST DON'T GET THIS WHOLE HOME BREW THING.

Even after the Ex-Misses deciding to keep my brewery and associated gear as part of the property settlement, Bitch! (Yes I am sore still, she could have kept anything else but noooooooooo!) <_< . I am as determined as ever to get back into brewing. The cost goes away after the satisfaction of a good home made beer kicks in.

My 2c FWIW.

Chap Chap

Even after the Ex-Misses deciding to keep my brewery and associated gear as part of the property settlement, Bitch! (Yes I am sore still, she could have kept anything else but noooooooooo!) <_< .

Wow, that's one stone cold bitch. Ouch!

the areas that i've spent the most money was when i was trying to do things 'on the cheap'. For this reason i have a few ring burners and a few pots. If i'd spent the money on the right stuff the first time around i would have saved myself a lot more money. Still, i haven't run out of beer since beginning this hobby, so i'm 90% sure i'm ahead.

the areas that i've spent the most money was when i was trying to do things 'on the cheap'. For this reason i have a few ring burners and a few pots. If i'd spent the money on the right stuff the first time around i would have saved myself a lot more money. Still, i haven't run out of beer since beginning this hobby, so i'm 90% sure i'm ahead.

Not against this comment at all, just trying to add to it. Good gear is totally worth it in the long run.

Have you noticed the equipment improves as does our knowledge?
I tried to learn as much as I could before I built my first brewery but I discovered tweaks and changes to make etc as I started using it. I don't think there is a perfect home-brewery design, I think it comes down to what is perfect for you. I also think that this changes over time.
At least this is my justification for seeming to continually spend money on my brewery! :D

One of my other hobbies is waterskiing, Now lets see that includes a boat, Skiis, wetsuits PFD's, fuel approx 2.5km to the litre..... Hmm this expensive brewing hobby is quite cheap in comparison. Both hobbies are fun and rewarding.

Brewrig, fridges etc paid for in one year.

Chappo you should have given more of it away while you had the chance. I have a great plate chiller :icon_cheers: which is good for the APA's.

Cheers
Gavo.

One of my other hobbies is waterskiing, Now lets see that includes a boat, Skiis, wetsuits PFD's, fuel approx 2.5km to the litre..... Hmm this expensive brewing hobby is quite cheap in comparison. Both hobbies are fun and rewarding.

I hear ya mate.

Wakeboarding, competitive paintball, road bike trackdays, snowboarding.

Homebrewing is the cheapest hobby I've discovered since puberty!

You don't mean the Sherminator, Chappo????

My average house beer (APA) costs me about 15 dollars in grain and about 4 dollars in hops after buying both in bulk. Plus 5 bucks for yeast (less if reusing), say 5 bucks for gas. All up about 30 dollars for 2 and a half cartons of awesome beer.
I'm very happy with that. If it cost me 60 dollars to make the same beer I would still do it, just maybe drink a little less ;)

Brewing like fishing should never be about the cost once you are into it.

Even after the Ex-Misses deciding to keep my brewery and associated gear as part of the property settlement, Bitch! (Yes I am sore still, she could have kept anything else but noooooooooo!) <_< . I am as

Imagine how pissed of that bloke (can't remember who now) will be about the rambo burner..... again :blink:

Lies, lies, lies and statistics....
Have you factored in the cost of your brewing equipment, gas & electricity costs, other consumables, your brew fridge & it's running costs, your keg or bottling system, the energy to chill the beer; you see where I am going? It's a slippery slope and has been debated on this forum a few times.
I don't think many people brew (good beer) to save money, they brew for the love of (good) beer.

But you are correct, it's not a bad price if you count just the ingredients. :D

$1335 for all equipment. Average cost per litres is $1.12 (14 Batches). With the cost of equipment average cost per litre is $3.97... not too bad considering

I've stopped counting, it's a hobby so it is ok to cost money; that's why I work to have fun.

I think overall brewing would work out heaps cheaper than buying decent commercial beers. I buy grain and hops in bulk etc so ingredients are cheap. Even by the time I factor in my brew rig, power to run extra fridges etc I think I'm still ahead.

QldKev

:icon_offtopic: Hmmm, yep, know what you mean - difillipo headers through exhaust, otrcai, tune and the HSV clubby is still pushing 17L/100k. But she is putting out 250rwkw, so slicks, a vcm 3 cam, ripshifter and an extreme clutch and those mid 11's are mine! Unfortunately we also need a new kitchen...

OT, Homebrewing was partly about the money to begin with, christ knows how much I would be spending on decent beer a fortnight if I didn't - probably would drink less - but hobbies are about you enjoying your life. Spend what you can afford, enjoy the experience and satisfaction of making something. 'Nuff said.

Even after the Ex-Misses deciding to keep my brewery and associated gear as part of the property settlement, Bitch! (Yes I am sore still, she could have kept anything else but noooooooooo!) <_< . I am as determined as ever to get back into brewing. The cost goes away after the satisfaction of a good home made beer kicks in.

My 2c FWIW.

Chap Chap

WTF??????

Property settlement my arse!! That's plain vindictive. Of course mam, would you like my balls on toast with that to go? Best thing you can do for yourself is replace it asap.

Back