The cigar thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can’t wait to smoke this one.
Cigar of the he year 2016.
IMG_1325.jpg

(Bumping this old cigar thread to ask for helpful suggestions please)

I gave up the rollies (Champion Ruby + Tally Ho) several years ago now, but have occasionally accepted a gasper if offered, usually at a family wedding or wake. And I’ve enjoyed them very much. The nicotine hit after abstaining for years really does take me back to that first one during my early high school days. Pity that cigarette smoking ends up decades later as a filthy and increasingly expensive (ie. taxed) addiction.

But now the tables are about to turn. Instead of me botting smokes from seldom seen relatives or complete strangers at family functions I will be offering them up to guests.

I have a daughter getting married soon and I thought I would buy a pack/box of small cigars to offer around at the wedding reception after dinner (to be smoked outside of course). Nothing too big - don’t want all day suckers that will probably be tossed away soon after they are lit. Neither too strong. Maybe eight or 10 wee Cubans, or am I buying in too much on reputation. Are other countries’ offerings (eg. Columbia, Holland etc) better value and quality that entry level Cubans? Please suggest.

And where to buy? Is it cheaper to buy online from certain states that have lower state taxes? (in the old days the ACT was the go to for cheap smokes).

Thanks.

Last edited:
Cafe Crème's use to be my go to. More a 'cigarillo' than cigar tho. Great option unless your guests want to run around doing Groucho Marx impersonations.
Pretty inoffensive, classy little tin, run you about $30 per box of 10.
Go great with a porter or stout or large cappuccino.

In the end I bought a box of 20 small Montecristo Club cigars online from a small outfit in Sydney called Ubercigar (which has an interesting short history and business model).

The Montecristos cost me $93 + $8 for express delivery by Australia Post. That's the best price I could find. And I have to say the service was lightening fast, and the cigars were perfect and enjoyed by all.

No affiliation, but credit where its due. Here's a link: Cuban & Non-Cuban Cigars | Übercigar Delivery

Back