The Bubbly Gunk

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

splat

Reaction score
When boiling after a mash the stuff that tries to escape the boiler and also seems to cause boil over. What is it. Should it be removed or control the boil so to allow it to be re absorbed.

I stopped skimming, waste of time IMO.

Thanks, did allways watch the boil and try and stop boil over. The foam does eventually re absorb. I will continue as i have great head retention so wont even bother skimming. Though did an exercise as to remove the foam as it formed. this did prevent sudden foaming over but over the next half hour or so i put it back in. would not be a problem if boiler was bigger. Must build 100 litre boiler. Then again i would only try fill to the brim. must build 200ltr........

I used to skim the foam, but then realised that i'm real lazy, so now i don't. Havent noticed a difference.

I am a skimmer....

Only reason being that it helps me avoid a boilover. My boiler is a 50lt keg, and preboil volume for me is around 46.50 litres for a double batch of 40lt into fermenter, cooled. Very easy to boil over if i don't skim.

If my pot was 70lt i probably wouldn't bother.

Listening to a TBN podcast recently on head retention, they suggested this bubbly gunk is protein and actually aides head retention.

Latest posts

Back