The Brauduino (Matho’s Controller) Build/Advice/Question Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SBOB

Reaction score
Seems to be a few people asking in the buy thread so, as no one else has done it... How about we use this for build/advice/technical questions that are bound to be plentiful over the coming weeks. If it turns out everyone keeps using the buy thread then I'll copy paste this post as a 'summary' so far to there

Stealing some useful info from the current buy thread with references to those people that posted them.

Default disclaimer (quoting Lael):
It is your responsibility to confirm with your electrician that this is in fact a safe way to wire the controller and to certify the wiring job that is done on the controller. 240v can kill. Don't risk it.

Build videos by Lael:

lael said:
I've put together a quick (actually, it is 30mins...) video showing what is included and how it all goes together so if you are trying to figure out what is included and how difficult / easy it is, give it a watch. It is so beautifully simple to put together.
Take a look: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdKQ31dLl28

240v wiring example by Lael:

lael said:
Ok, here is the wiring diagram for running 240v elements and pump.

Normal caveats apply - I am not an electrician, and this diagram represents how I might wire my controller. It is your responsibility to confirm with your electrician that this is in fact a safe way to wire the controller and to certify the wiring job that is done on the controller. 240v can kill. Don't risk it.

FYI only - I do follow my own advice and had an electrician friend check both the wiring diagram and the test controller(s) that I have made. This should in no way reduce your desire to check with your own electrician that it is indeed safe.

If you have any questions about what I have done, please ask. If you have any questions about what YOU should do - speak to an electrician.

attachicon.gif
BrauduinoKitWiringDiagram_getchecked.jpg

edit: clarify the diagram was checked by an electrician friend, not just a random friend.

Build word doc by Zwitter:

zwitter said:
Howdy Braduino builders

I have put together some sort of instructions.
I am sure there will be differences of opinion regarding various things I have done that you would not etc. Just like my spelling on my label. It was well after midnight and I had been at work since before 7am!

So here is the link to the file in my dropbox. I am not all that savvy with the forum and posting links or files.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c4a9h3tzkne7fnr/Braumiser%20build%20lael%20james.docx?dl=0

James
Zwitter

I showed this wire diagram from lael (quoted above) to my sparky and they asked me to find out how the DC power supply is worked into this.

Brauduino_Kit_Wiring_Diagram_getchecked_1.jpg

sluggerdog said:
I showed this wire diagram from lael (quoted above) to my sparky and they asked me to find out how the DC power supply is worked into this.

I would be tempted to say 'find a new sparky' ;)

The following are words written by 1000 monkeys typing on a 1000 keyboards and shouldn't be taken as electrical advice ;)

But the DC power supply (from memory, not got one in front of me) will have a 240V incoming (G/N/L) and then a 12 volt outlet side (V+/V-)
Power into the DC power supply would come from the main 'Power In' (think that's the top inlet shown on Lael's drawing, which has one active going to the 'Pump in' on the board, the other connects to the top SSR) and the 12V outlet would be supplying power to the Arduino board

The outlets from the box (Main Heater Out, Main Pump Out and Aux Heater Out) are switched by the relays on Arduino board or via the SSRs

You should be able to 'kind of' make this out from zwitters word document and the image shown on page 11 but I will note

- Zwitter has wire this configuration up different to the image shown in Lael's diagram
Zwitters example has (from my squinting and following wires) - Zwitter please correct me i'f im wrong. Its difficult following grainy wires on a computer screen ;)
Top Middle as Pump Out
Middle Row as Main Power In/Main Power Out
Bottom Row as Aux Power In/Aux Heater Out

Details on ArdBir source, documentation for PCB/Manual, Code and Repository links - Thanks to Zwitter
Lael/Zwitter have mentioned previusly a 'guide' will be created re updating the Brauduino, but these will be handy for anyone wanting to learn themselves

zwitter said:
This is MaxN68's signature and these should be the links required for instruction manuals etc
this contains several versions and languages and hardware that is not the same as what we have. The ArdBir team took over the software side some time back and it is configurable when you prepare the sketch file to compile to choose display size, board, language etc not for the beginner but not really that hard after you follow the instructions either.

The manuals can have some errors and so can the software. manual may be slightly behind the latest SW but tells you what you need to know..

Open ArdBir - Single Vessel System Control with Arduino UNO
Code (Italian, English, Spanish, Portuguese, Russian, Norwegian) - PCB & Manual (Italian, English, Russian) on Dropbox
Repository on GitHub
Facebook Page
Latest Version : https://github.com/ArdBir/Open-ArdBir/archive/v2.8.3-RC.zip

I think with all the confusion and uncertainty going on at the moment a lot of people might be better off just assembling their controllers and then waiting for the wiring video to be uploaded by Lael's electrical contacts.

If you blow yours up by following someone's well intentioned advice it wouldn't be fair to then blame them for something you haven't understood. If you have a bottle with poison in it you can see the danger (unless its in an unmarked drink bottle :angry: ), a cable with electricity flowing through it looks just the same as one without. I'm really worried someone is going to get caught out very soon. At least make sure you all have it plugged into a circuit with RCD protection on it.

You can still plug it in and play with it using a usb cable to get your jollies in the meantime.

So if you've got family, friends, or a life you'd like to keep enjoying for a while I'd wait until your 100% sure your going to be safe before wiring one up and turning it on.

Sorry to be a joy killer for the impatient ones among us but we've all waited so long that a little longer wont hurt. :icon_cheers:

real_beer said:
I think with all the confusion and uncertainty going on at the moment a lot of people might be better off just assembling their controllers and then waiting for the wiring video to be uploaded by Lael's electrical contacts.

If you blow yours up by following someone's well intentioned advice it wouldn't be fair to then blame them for something you haven't understood.
Sound advice. Not a single bit of information in this thread should be blindly followed (whether its Lael's or someone elses), especially on the 240v side.

real_beer said:
You can still plug it in and play with it using a usb cable to get your jollies in the meantime.

Indeed.... turning on red and green LED's is hours worth of entertainment already

sluggerdog said:

ok so I went for a look for matho's original stuff but his diagram may just confuse things further and it's burried deep in the matho thread. Now this was done in my most hated software so bare with me a little. The usual disclaimers regarding electrical work apply get a sparky in and get in checked!
Brau wiring.jpg

MastersBrewery said:
ok so I went for a look for matho's original stuff but his diagram may just confuse things further and it's burried deep in the matho thread. Now this was done in my most hated software so bare with me a little. The usual disclaimers regarding electrical work apply get a sparky in and get in checked!
attachicon.gif
Brau wiring.jpg
Nice.

Also, for clarity of people following the lines, there's no reason the DC supplies 'Gnd' & 'A' connections need to 'hop' via the SSR (apart from trying to neaten wiring,the DC supply is permanently powered)

I didn't like that one, so I tidied it a bit and this will be my wire trace. As lael said the 12v power going to the board has to be correct or you will blow shit up. The board I've shown is actually matho's but the layout ( the most important bits) is the same.
Brau wiring.jpg

Hi SBOB

You are correct I chose to arrange the sockets differently from what Lael did in his wiring diagram.

Note Lael is planning to do a video with me but he is doing HSC marking so the few moments he is not teaching and marking is totally consumed in getting home and sleeping. Probably will do this on the weekend.

I may try and draw a diagram or two that reflect my box and a schematic diagram for the back half as well.

The power supply does have 5 screw terminals on the end and they are 240v power and earth and v+ (12v positive) and v- (0volts/ground)

The 240v side is labeled but will look at that and add photos and description later tonight.
James

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Masters brewery

Actually the old Mathos diagram is not correct. As the SSRs are one up right way and other upside down the connections to the input side will have to cross over for one of the SSRs as the input has polarity ie - to - and + to +. Otherwise the second SSR will not turn on. Note the SSRs have integral LEDs to show they are being turned on.

The diagram also is not clear as to which pin on the socket the wires connect to.

James
Zwitter

ok so after having all sorta put together and packed away, Ive followed Zwitters advice and took a picture. I've shown conection of each wire seperately as cross over was confusing. If anyone picks up on an error let me know.
Active wire
Active.jpg

Earth wire
earth.jpg

Neutral
Neutral.jpg

Low Voltage
low volt.jpg

ED: note the red and black wires are as comes with the kit for the alarm and temp sensor The white wire for the temp sensor goes to the centre port as shown.
My net hates me that took for ever to upload

MastersBrewery said:
ok so after having all sorta put together and packed away, Ive followed Zwitters advice and took a picture. I've shown conection of each wire seperately as cross over was confusing. If anyone picks up on an error let me know.

Earth wire
attachicon.gif
earth.jpg
connecting all earth wires would be my only comment

Hi Masters

Yes you have correctly done the crossover with the low voltage side of the SSRs.

If I was pedantic I would also have same pin on SSR as active in and other as out but it works either way.

I would say the earth should be connected between the two inputs. You have drawn as 2 different earth circuits but I would say they should be connected together.

You have correctly drawn the other wires but the bends in your neutral may confuse and the active crosses multiple pins on the sockets. Maybe dots where there is a connection would make it a bit clearer?

Zwitter

My old man is a sparky and I've been asking him to have a look and he's not happy with the main power being a male plug. Saying that it doesn't meet Aus standards? Basically, when plugged into the 240v, if it's not plugged into the box then it's a potential hazard

ok joined the earth :D, put little circles where wires attach, couldn't do the dot thing, this software sux.

Active
Active.jpg

Earth
earth.jpg

Neutral
Neutral.jpg

Low Voltage
low volt.jpg

OneEye the blue (power in) connector is being used the same as an IEC(computer cable) connector/ socket, if you bend a fork well enough you can electrocute yourself as well with either, that said throw any cord in a bucket of water you'll get the same result, you can't easily get to 2 terminals in the socket the same as an extension or IEC. The advantage of the powercon is it locks into place, unlike an IEC or extension cord, trip on the cord and you will pull it from the wall before it will come away from the controller. To my mind that makes it a lot safer for our application. Your kitchen kettle most likely plugs into the wall and then plugs into the kettle, but its on the bench and you can't trip on the wire......

OneEye said:
My old man is a sparky and I've been asking him to have a look and he's not happy with the main power being a male plug. Saying that it doesn't meet Aus standards? Basically, when plugged into the 240v, if it's not plugged into the box then it's a potential hazard
Its less of a hazard than an extension cable as the plug type being used has its conductors more recessed than a standard AUS female socket on the end of an extension cable. No different than say an IEC plug on a computer/kettle lead.

Back