The Bitter Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beermonster17

Reaction score
Hello to all,
My Question today is about hops used for the bittering of beer, the question is on the first addition of hops in a boil to add bitterness to the beer does this first addition add to the flavour as well? if not then will any hop pellet do the same job or do they have stronger and weaker bittering qualities. i see that the later additions are for the flavour and finally the aroma and i can understand they make a difference. the reason i am asking is that if i can use one base bittering hop i can order a large bag to do this job for all my future brews, i hope this makes sense cheers,
beermonster17.

You are correct - The rule of thumb is that anything boiled for 60 minutes or more doesn't add significant flavor or aroma - so people use the highest AA hops for these additions.

You are correct - The rule of thumb is that anything boiled for 60 minutes or more doesn't add significant flavor or aroma - so people use the highest AA hops for these additions.

I'd beg to differ, there are many so called "bittering hops" that contribute a lot of flavour and aroma even after 60 mins. Crack a good bottle of Coopers Sparkling and take a sniff and a swig. I have done a lot of single hop addition beers in my experiments with Malt Liquors, cream ales and Cervezas and - for example - the difference between a Chinook and a Galena bittered beer is quite distinct. And Steam Beer wouldn't be Steam beer without the Northern Brewer.

However, the long boil does strip out most but not all flavour and aroma and some are certainly more neutral than others, and for a "generic" bittering hop personally I would go for:

• Americans: Magnum or NB
  • UK: Target or Admiral
  • Lagers: GER Northern Brewer
  • Aussies: Superpride

My 2C

I agree with BribieG here. Originally I was told a 60min boil strips out all the flavour; so I started using SuperAlpha for all my bittering. I had a few comments (positive) about the cleanness of my bittering of my house beer; compared with the standard recipe. So it got me thinking and I tried making the same recipe with Amarillo as the bittering to the same IBUs, there was a definite change in the bittering. More recently I made a MIDAPA using American hops for the flavour/aroma; and wanting an Aussie twist I used POR for a 60min bittering addition. Even with the high levels of the APA hop schedule, you could still pick that POR was in the mix. It wasn't bang smack in the face, but it was there.

QldKev

There is definitely flavour left behind. If all flavour was stripped out then people wouldn't make all saaz brews!

I use super alpha for bittering for most of my brews. I like because i can get it in flowers which i find holds the break together quite well. However the buying 90g packs of flowers can get a little pricey so i've decided to start using magnum pellets. I've heard its quite clean. (and tasted peoples brews who use it, seems to work quite well.)

I generally use 10-15g of the highest AA hops I have on hand, lately it's been Warrior, soon to be Super Alpha. But I also look at the cohumulone levels of the hop before I decide, generally for a smoother bitterness a lower cohumulone level is desired. So the highest AA hop isn't always the best option, but if you take Cohumulone levels, AA%, and flavor emparted all into consideration you'll be on a winner.

Check this out.. Hops Linky

It may answer your question

Very interesting, it looks like after 60 mins most of the flavour has gone but even more interesting is the maximum aroma addition at 7 mins. i thought you would get max aroma from dropping in the fermentor. thanks for the relies guys just one more question does anyone know a good source for bulk hops 1 kg plus I remember a link on this forum for an american site but I can't find it now cheers,
beermonster.

That chart should be used with an understanding that not every hop works the same way. It's a big generalisation, but I found it useful when starting the hop trail

That chart should be used with an understanding that not every hop works the same way. It's a big generalisation, but I found it useful when starting the hop trail
Indeedy - hence my 'rule of thumb' : a principle with broad application that is not intended to be strictly accurate or reliable for every situation.

+1 on Bribie G. Some hops seem to provide less harsh bitterness.

Plus there are some hops that are higher in AA% (therefore "bittering hops" in the sense of being an easier way to bitter), yet are fantastic for flavour or aroma late in the boil - such as Amarillo, Citra, Nelson Sauvin - so long as you are judicious with their use.

My best Smash Ale was only Citra, and heavily but judiciously used - not a great deal of bitterness, but loads of flavour.

Goomba

Latest posts

Back