The Biggest Company You Have Never Heard Of

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You probably run into these guys every day and don't know about it.

Ha, Serco ran the Airmans Mess at RAAF Base Wagga when I was there for trade training for 1 year. To say the food was shit was giving it high praise. Whenever a high ranking officer was visiting and lunching in the Airmans mess suddenly the food would improve remarkably for that day and return to it's normal standard the next. One moring I was on guard duty and an old cook came in to get the key to open the mess when I challenged his identity he said mate if you don't give me that key then noone is going to get fed and I said mate I'd be doing them a favour.

-BD

Yeah, pretty much a household name in Adelaide.

While I'm sure the Hungry Beast team did some research above and beyond the wikipedia page, a little more shows that the statement "Serco have the contract for setting Greenwich Mean Time" is a bit of a stretch. What they do is manage the NPL which broadcasts the 'Rugby Clock' with an accuracy better than 1 ms relative to Coordinated Universal Time (UTC), which is itself always within 1 second of Greenwich Mean (solar) Time (GMT). Serco operations could vanish and this would still happen.

Anyway, what was the point to linking this 16 month old video? Hungry Beast do one of these each week.

I prefer youtube for
:icon_offtopic: but oh well, this friend fights a good cause.

Last edited by a moderator:
They are apparently going to run the new Fiona Stanley Hospital in Perth. I don't really like the idea of companies like these running things like hospitals.

Anyway, what was the point to linking this 16 month old video? Hungry Beast do one of these each week.
Something to do with the dreaded Nanny State, I imagine. It usually is...

Serco run the security gates at work. Some are ok, some are dead set wanna be policeman with power tripping tendencies.

They are apparently going to run the new Fiona Stanley Hospital in Perth. I don't really like the idea of companies like these running things like hospitals.
+1

Add to that nuclear power plants, education quality control, and aged-care nursing.

There are some things that should not be dictated by a dollar value, particularly as the main focus, at the sacrifice of the goals/safety/quality of the thing.

Back