The Beer You've Most Enjoyed

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
deebee beat me to it. my best beer is the one I just finished.
Heading out to the tap now for a refill :)

Seriously though, since discovering Czech Pilsner I can't get enough of the stuff.

deebee said:
Best beer I've ever had is the next one.
[post="106396"][/post]​

Damn good point there :excl:

Friday arvo,dreaming about the brew that i tried @ 2 weeks that was shapin up ok and knowing that there is a sixer of it now @ 4 weeks awaitin me when i get home.

Drank them and onto a special simcoe bitter and week old dunkelweizen(YUMMMM......)_ :chug:

My favourite beer memories come from Triple Rock Brewery Berkely California. LinkIt is a small college micro with lots of pub games to include a 22ft shuffleboard table. Oh and the beers are all spectacular. I also spent a year in Antwerp Belgium when i was 17 drinking Hoegaarden with Lemon picking up Belgian ballerinas from National Ballet of Flanders. Unforunately for me I didnt know much about beer or women in those days but enjoyed both equally.

wessmith, thanks for the tips.
Will probably be doing the German tour, I don't speak a word of German but I'll just wing it anyway :eek: I'm done booking stuff, the last few months have been non-stop, still gotta sort the UK leg of the trip.
Have already planned the train etc, and got some Eurail Selectpasses(going to Paris and Amsterdam too), had read tho that its a 1hour ride, 20min drive?. In the last few days I've been considering hiring a car, that way I have a bit more freedom moving around, and can explore a bit out there and back, dunno.
Is that iyinga like instant/igloo? I read somewhere it was pronounced eye-inga, like island? The same book mentioned that it's one of the most picturesque(sp?) areas of Bavaria; Bavarian alps etc, sweeeet.
(also going to Fussen, in the foothills of the alps :D )
Same book also mentioned it's one of the five breweries that brew for the oktoberfest, wrong time of year for that I know, but what are my chances of a Marzen, being March and all?

jimmy01, dammit! I had considered going to Prague, but couldn't fit it in. Oh well, Czech republic nexttime :(

Simon W, we took one the "S-Bahn" line trains on the S6 line - ie like a suburban train. They run every 30 mins or so and it took around 40 mins. The pronunciation is as you read - eye-inga.

Ayinga do not brew for the 'Fest. They are outside the metro area but do have a tent at the 'Fest but the beer has to be from one of the designated breweries. Apparently a major bone of contention.

Have a look at http://en.ayinger-bier.de/?pid=263

Wes

Ah Ballerinas and Beer - now THAT is a match made in heaven!

One of my favorite beer moments was when I was on tour in Greece with Sydney Dance Comany. We had finished our very long and very hot rehersal day and took the ferry back to Aegina (if I remember right) - an island off of Athens. Our hotel was right by the water and the bar /resturant right on the water. My girlfriend (a ballerina and now my wife of 18 years) and I sat there drinking a cold beer and watching the sun set upon the ocean. Every now and then I would slip over the side into the ocean and cool off and then get back out order another beer and some calamari. Sharing it all with my wife to be - magic moment!

Another magic moment I remember vividly was my first visit to Brussels and finding a little bar in a cobbled laneway. I ordered a Stella and a bowl of mussels - heaven!

we'd just stepped out of the lunar lander and it was dry and dusty..... one small sip for man, one giant guzzle for....

ok, mine is an Aussie :super: one, even though i too have OS drinking stories.
I think i really appreciated beer when i was helping change over a 186 in a classic EH Holden. It was realy cold in the middle of winter and the shed next to the one we were working in was chockers full of HB Coopers Stout. I grabbed a longneck, popped the seal and drank one :chug: at about 12C, and my life and taste buds were never to be the same again.

Ive been working on post production for a short film a friend and I are working on and at the same time was the TD (technical Director) for a television show which took the first half of the week to do while still working on the short film. I just finished a 70 hour week last week, got about 4-5 hours sleep each day last week and then had to study all weekend for an exam on toady......

Just finished the exam. came home. made my favorite home made pizza. sat down. put on some Powderfiner and pollished of a bottle of Leffe Vielle Cuvee and Radiuse that i had been saving now sucking back on some JS porter, not bad for a UNI student if i do say so myself...

Its definatley up there

A resurrection of sorts,
I first started hav'en a beer on the way home from Tech in the mid seventies, "Long Tall Glasses" was on the duke box in the Saloon bar. you could have Resch's Draught or Tooth's Old, I tried 'em all. :beer:

Fast forward a half a dozen years and a mate and I are coming back to Sydney for a wedding after working here and there for a while, we always drank the local brew, no matter what it was, we got off the plane and made a bee line for the bar and had an ice cold Resch's Draught and we had a couple more too. :icon_drool2:

It wasn't just the beer that made it so good, it was all the associated memories, the good times, the mates and the first beer I started drinking, all this came flooding back to make it a feeling and memory still with me to this day. ;)

Cheers.

Love this thread.
Back in 2007 I moved up to central Qld with my girlfriend (now wife, 3 kids) to Moranbah working at a local underground coal mine. I didn't know an ale from a lager and had heard about Little Creatures, so I picked up a 6 pack of them when I was in Mackay to accompany my XXXX Bitters. My wife got a bottle of nice sparkling white and we decided to 'treat ourselves'.

It was a particularly bad Friday with a fair share of broken equipment, and I'd spent 1/2 my day pulling apart a major dewatering pump underground and the other half commissioning an emulsion system for the longwall hydraulics. The pressure was on, I was sweating, and I hit the showers that afternoon and washed off a lot of black stuff. It was approaching the 40's and the sun was relentless. Refreshed and smelling like only a washed mine worker could, I took my panda eyes home and chilled my favourite glass.

I poured the beer keeping the sediment in the bottle. The hops straight away eminated from the glass and the head slowly rose and laced the glass slightly. I still remember the smell, it was unlike any beer I'd had beforehand. Amber, clear, and looking just delectable. I carried it outside to our outdoor setting - my wife with champagne glass in hand - and hit the wall of heat. The glass frosted up in front of me. We kicked back in the shade, and I remember as I took a sip I got a whiff of the aroma. "Hops!" I thought, this is what the pale ales are about. It was, quite simply, an experience. My tastes buds didn't know what this nectar was. I didn't guzzle it at all but took each sip slowly, was smelling the glass between sips, and just sat there quietly enjoying the beautiful flavour this beer had to offer. No kids running around, no dogs barking, no boss telling me to hurry up and fix something: silence. Just the shade, chair, heat, and fantastic example of a beer.

To this day there are moments when I look at my kids tearing the house apart and think back to that afternoon in our duplex. It was magic.

For me it would probably be Figjam IPA by Burleigh Brewing Co. two years in my first year of uni. I was having dinner with friends at the Burrow in West End and I just randomly selected it and it was amazing! So much flavour, I honestly couldn't believe it. At the time me and my housemates were just taking turns buying the cheapest slab out as uni students do and the Figjam suddenly changed my point of view on beer. After that I started buying more varieties from good old Dans then year later started brewing and two years later I'm buying beer that's far to expensive for a poor third uni engineering student but it's good education at least (or so I tell myself)

It's not the best beer I've had by experience-wise it will always hold a special place in my beer list. I actually picked up another one from local bottlo last weekend, and dan safely say I still really enjoy it. A lot different from I remember as expected and definitely lacking the bitterness I tasted the first time but that's most likely to be due to amount of bitter brews I've had since...

Sorry, 2 beer moments.

Summer 84/85, 14 going 15 years old, sharing 2 6 pack's of VB with the best mates in the toilet block at the local footy oval, great day.

Sucking on a Vanuatu Bitter by the resort pool after a day of bush bashing in a modified quad with my son, 35c, muggy, covered in dust, fantastic.

The first time I tried Budvar....my feet did a jig all of their own...a ******* jig I tell ya'.

:) I think everybody has had these moments. But it's great reading about them nonetheless.

I think I was about 15 or 16 and helping dad build the deck out the back. I'm sitting 4m's away from that very deck right now actually. It must have been 38c and I think we were out there for a good 7hours. The pure pleasure of a tooheys extra dry sitting at 2c straight out of the bottle. I think I had 2 bottles in 15mins.

I do remember having to go to my casual job at a restaurant straight after. Would have loved to just settle in with a few more.

A few friends running around playing a game of footy for a couple of hours. One of the guys asks if anyone would like a beer as we made our way back to our cars. Sure, where do you want to go was my reply. No he said, and reached into a car fridge and pulled out a six pack of XXXX Gold.

As awful as the beer is, it tasted like sweet nectar from the gods that day.

Years ago myself and a Kiwi buddy sitting upstairs at a wooden table in a cafe we amost failed to find in Bruges drinking the house beer - De Garre. Fantastic strong beer, awesome atmosphere, chatting to the random French couple also sitting at our table. A memorable afternoon.

Back