The Beer You've Most Enjoyed

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The beer I most enjoyed, (as opposed the best beer)...staying on-topic here :p

A longneck of Carlton Draught sitting on top of a cliff near the old stone embattlements in Fremantle the night-of-the-day my son was born.

Crap beer yes, but it was exceptionally enjoyable since I was thousands of kilometres from home, had just witnessed child birth (yes, giving it would be worse) and had only tracked down a friend to celebrate with the day before.

Not as good as the other stories, but it was certainly the most enjoyable beer for meever :chug:

PZ.

OK, so I'm not sure which one it was, but it was Belgian.

And it was one of the Belgians I had in Cammeray on my first visit to the Belgian Beer cafe.

Straight up, I upset the barman (Cameron) by asking his opinion on what we should have as our first beer, and then ignoring him and going the Hoegaarden on tap. Stella Artois, indeed!

It wasn't the Hoegaarden (which was a tasty appetiser) though, but it may have been the Leffe Blonde or one of the subsequent 10 or so strong bottled beers that went so well with the mussels and pomme frits mit mayonnaise at the bar.

Yep, the Belgian experience is always special, and so much cheaper when you enjoy it without the airfare.

Seth :p

*edit - spelling.

Hands down pints of brewery-fresh Budvar at the town-square market in Prague at 11am on a beautiful sunny 20 degree morning. Pints were about 75c each and I consumed at least 4 of them. :rolleyes:

2 Pints of Staropramen straight from the tanks at the brewery on a tour were a bit of a revelation too. :beerbang:

There's probably at least about another 20 holistic moments that would take too long to mention too. :lol:

Warren -

My best ever beer was.... well, I think it's gunna be in a few weeks.
I'm heading to Munich, and visiting the Aying brewery and as many beer halls as I stumble/crawl into. I'm also heading into the UK and Belgium, wheeeeeeee!.

I'm drooling all over my keyboard just thinking about it!
Wish these next three weeks would hurry up and get going so I can step onto the plane!

Big D, I gave up a view as good as that a few years back, it's tough isn't it? I miss sitting out there at sunset with a beer in my hand waving at passers by... sigh.
Funniest thing was, anyone passing would always be looking at me, and not the awesome view in the other direction, why is that? Jealousy?

Edit: speeling

The beer(s) that i have most enjoyed were on my honeymoon. We did a clubmed holiday in the maldives, and all food beer and wine was included. I expected some local water piss, and found a self serve tap of carlsberg!, so was pretty happy with that, sitting on a tiny island ( about 2 or 3 footy fields big ) in the middle of the ocean. Was fu^&en brilliant!

Maldives1111.jpg

Simon W said:
visiting the Aying brewery
[post="106251"][/post]​

Ayinger! Big keyboard drool. Just wait till you try their Altbairisch Dunkel. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Drools again. Next to Andechser beers they've got the best malt profile I've ever tasted.

Warren -

In the JAL lounge at Narita International Airport, Japan. I found an automatic beer pouring machine which looked like an espresso machine. The glass is moved back and put on an angle under the first nozzle and is filled close to the top before straightening and moving forward to the next nozzle where a shot of foam head was added before ready to pick up and enjoy. The beer was Kirin and it certainly got a good workout which made the trip to Dallas very quick indeed :chug: .

Cheers.

For me it was my first trip to the UK. The UK headquarters of my employer is in the town of Chippenham in Wiltshire, between Swindon & Bath.

On arriving there I was delighted to find a CAMRA guide rated pub selling Fullers just two doors down the hotel I was staying in.

That first pint of London Pride off the hand pump was like nothing else I have ever tasted. Many more pints of various brews were to follow, including the local Wadworth 6X.

And best of all, in a few weeks time I'm off there for a month!

I have two vivid memories of unbeatable beer experiences.

First was over in the States, started walking down the Grand Canyon at 6 in the morning, still half asleep, and straight past the sign that warned us not to walk down and up in the one day. Whoops. Eventually got back out at 6.15pm. 3 hours down to the bottom, easy as. Half an hour and lunch at the bottom, the rest of the time was spent walking up hill and cramping up to buggary. Got back to where we were staying and straight to the bar for a beer...never thought a Millers Draught could taste so good.

Second one was a couple of years back. My Uncle's a plumber and needed a hand, I was working as a casual so thought I'd help out for a bit of extra cash. 36 degrees digging trenches in a school. After work we ended up at the Pitt Town Sports Club. Best VB ever. Went down Very quickly.

When I was in the Navy it was the FIRST beer in any port :beerbang: that's beer guys :) any beer, even Bud :(

As im originally from the North West of England (by 'eck) and grew up drinking Boddingtons that still has to be my favourite. Its just to easy to drink.
Cheers
Steve

Geez...

My story... At home after working around the house, 44 degrees in the shade , listening to my wife winge about something or other in one of her manic moods (manic depressive).

Coopers Pale Ale. The best thing I had all week... I remember thinking how nice the beer was while my wife was ranting away in the background. I downed the beer, hopped in the car, and haven't been back :eek:

Best decision I have ever made B)

Agro.

I dont know about the best beer, but the beer experience that still sticks in my memory, goes back to the late 60's when as Chemistry undergrads we went on a plant tour at the now long gone Tooths factory at Moore Park in Sydney.

We started at the top of the building- where the hops were being added to the mash and had to taste the product at every stage of the process. Yep hops and water is pretty foul.

As we got further through the process, the hotter and thirstier we got until finally we were in the cellar amongst the bright tanks, with condensate running of them. The chemist who was taking us around, poured out a schooner of wonderful glistening ale, and then as 20 students lurched forward as one, poured it down the drain in front of us, because it was still under excise.

I learned to cry that day - sob ! So has my psychiartrist ! :(

T

Hey Steve,
where in the North west did you live..?
i lived in windermere for 6 Months... great place.
(it was Actually, Bowness on Windemere)

Simon W, we visited the Ayinger (pronounced iyinga in the town of iying) Brewery back in September. Be sure you phone ahead and book yourselves into an English tour - we did the German one because there wasnt anybody available to do the English bit. Bit of a hoot really, but thats another story.

Two highlights - the first was tasting the pils straight off the fermenter through the sampling (zwickel?) tap. We kept a part jug of this beer as we moved back upstairs to the bar/brewroom/restaurant area and then compared it with the filterd/bottled example. That was the second highlight. Brilliant beers all.

We then returned to the Aying village and had lunch at the Aying pub. A remarkable day.

BTW, Aying is a 40min train journey from the centre on Munchen through some very pretty countryside.

Ummmmm....

Wes

Steve, i must admit, i dont drink it much at all, but when i do, i ALWAYS enjoy every last drop of boddingtons.

I'm still in pre-school grade when it comes to rating beers. But amongst my fav's are James Squire Porter & Stella.

My neighbour Terry (and brew partner) has recently returned from Czech, Belgium & Germany. He's still drooling especially when he raves about the Czech beers and their cheap price. Hope to make the trip before i leave the planet.

Jimmy

Best beer I've ever had is the next one.

Latest posts

Back