The Ahb Co2 Cylinder

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quincy

Sounds good to me. The thread for the Aussie regs I'm 100% sure is correct. It's Australian Standards 2473 Type 30. The stem thread in US cylinders is taken from Luxfers website, so I'm only presuming it's correct.

I also pressume that any valve would have to be high pressure.

As an indication of costs Brewers Discount sell 10lbs cylinder for US$78.34 and a 20lbs cylinder for US$96.48. Postage would be approximately US$35 and US$50 respectively. This would mean a 10lbs tank would be about AUS$145 and a 20lbs tank about AUS$190. Definitely more expensive than a fire extinguisher, but it might be reasonable for a brand new light weight aluminium bottle if the vlave is not too expensive. Plus it's pretty hard to come across 10kg fire ectinguishers.

Cheers
MAH

A brass adapter turned up to convert the treads on the US cylinder to an Oz reg should be an option. It would have to be cheaper than getting a whole new head to replace a head you already have and paid for (the US one). If someone had access to a good fitter and turner (maybe there is one on the forum here ;) Hoops knows someone I think?) that could do a batch of them in response to a prepaid order for a number of them. A bit of cash in hand work.

Just another option. And probably easier to come by than a head too.

Cheers, Justin

Hi Justin

I thought about this, but was concerned that refill stations might be less inclined to come to the party if they were having to attach their equipment to an adapter rather than straight on to a head. You don't know how cautious some people might be.

Cheers
MAH

Ah yeah, I didn't think about the fill station having to use your adapter to fill it. I think most would baulk at it too. I know my fire bloke would be ok with it as he had a heap of adapters made up so he could fill different brand fire extinguishers, but unfortunately not everyone is that lucky. As you know it's tuff enough to get a private cylinder filler anyway.

Cheers and good luck.

Justin

MAH

If we import the bottles, will they refill them if they are not stamped with an Australian Standard (AS) number?

Cheers
Pedro

I'd love one of those adapters. I have an old paintball CO2 cylinder that would be perfect.

Pedro said:
If we import the bottles, will they refill them if they are not stamped with an Australian Standard (AS) number?
Doh! Hadn't thought about this one.

Can only presume that if they are pressure tested and pass that they would be OK, as Luxfer are bringing in US bottles to use in the Australian market.

Cheers
MAH

Latest posts

Back