The Accidental Ag!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tdack

Reaction score
Had the place to myself for the day, so I thought it would be a good time to get brewing.

After stopping in at the LHBS and getting some supplies I ventured to the Big Green Shed and picked up a couple of 10L "cubes", thinking I'll give this no-chill thing a try.

Now, all my batches lately have been around 2kg or so of grain, mashed properly and batch sparged (sort of) with the rest of the fermentables being made up from a can of goo or some DME. Total boil around 10L, then topped up with water in the fermenter.

For this batch I thought I'd have a crack at the famous Dr Smurto's Golden Ale. I duly plugged the ingredients into BeerAlchemy, printed my instructions and off I went.

Well, just as I am doughing in the grain I realised that this batch won't have any other fermentables added, no goo or DME!!

So I've just done my first All Grain, No-Chill batch, by accident. It's in the mini-cube right now. I managed to hit my pre-boil gravity, and my pre and post boil volumes, so I'm pretty chuffed.

Only thing is, can anyone tell me what the gravity will be when 10L @ 1.088 is mixed with another 10L (to get final ferment volume of 20L)? Links or a formula would be appreciated so I can work it out for myself in future.

Are you saying you will add 10lts of water?

Yes. I wasn't too clear about that was I.

Final ferment volume will be 20L, - 10L wort @ 1.088 and 10L water

Right, so it's just a percentage/ratio dilution then, pretty obvious when you think about it.

1.044 is spot on too, even better.

Hey Mate im pretty much at your stage aswell. I asked everyone about doing 10l boils for a 20l batch. Might be worth a read. I dont know how to put the links here, but it is on the second page of the AG Forum.

Drew

Latest posts

Back