The 2006 Nsw Homebrewing Championships

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have one small question....

I know this is not determined by the state body but i have had a quick look at the guidelines for the AABC and My Roggenbier that qualified is not listed in their style listing under wheat beer as it was in the BJCP system.

Not complaining, just wondering if i should enter it under wheat and hope thay judge it or should i dump it in the dreaded "specialty" can of worns :blink:

cheers

Tony,

Not you again - didn't we a problem with your entry last year :(

I have just asked the question as I missed that one. There is a passionate debate raging about Seth's Berliner so I have just thrown your Rye into the mix.

I will let you know as soon as I hear.

Thanks
David

It is good to see "Good Beer" getting some media attention.
Regional ABC radio gave the NSW Championships some air time a couple of months ago, David and I got to say our bit, I have a follow-up interview this Saturday on local ABC (2NC 1233) between 11:30 and Noon and have just invited Weizeguy along to tell the listener about his beer.

For those outside the Hunter, our local paper has a weekly beer review. Over the last 3 years we have gone from having 0 to 4 breweries operating and a couple more in the works.

The rising awareness of how good beer can be can only be good for the home brew community.

G'day again.

I am the Les Wever mentioned in the newspaper article above.

Congrats to all the winners, now that they've been announced. I heard that Trent was being hailed as the new Barry Cranston. That may be a bit of an exaggeration, but he has done well nonetheless.
It was great to hear people talking about my beer with admiration. I thought that I was the only one who could do that. I really enjoyed bringing the joy of beer into people's day, and I think that I'm gonna take more time to do the beer evangelist thing. Testify!

You see, I have been interviewed by the Newcastle newspaper, my local Port Stephens newspaper (who are going to visit my workplace to photograph me tomorrow), and now Mark's invitation to do a spot on local ABC radio. Shame that I don't have any spare bottles of Berliner to share with the radio dude. Only 2 left for the Nats. Not sure if that's gonna be a good thing, as it looks like I'll have to put it in a light wheat category?

I did not expect to do so well with my Berliner. What a freaky beer, and who ever heard of a light beer winning a State Comp, let alone a sour one? Here's hoping that the doors have opened to allow other people's weird-beers to realised.

Some AHBers will be happy to know that they may have tasted or be currently in possession of one of my winning Berliner Weissbiers. Yep, it was my Xmas in July case swap beer.

Enoough chest-beating for now. The competition was only good because of all the competitors, quality of entries, and all the people who attended to judge, prepare, serve, collect, collate, observe, maintain, oversee, control and, most of all, enjoy!
Thanks again to the venue, and the strong NSW homebrew community.

After talking with Barry and Lindsay Dive, I'm seriously thinking of changing my Forum name to Les the Weizguy. Any thoughts from Admin?

A hearty big Beerz from me.

Les out :p

After talking with Barry and Lindsay Dive, I'm seriously thinking of changing my Forum name to Les the Weizguy. Any thoughts from Admin?

Congrats, Les the Weizguy.
Anything is possible. If you are serious, drop me a PM.

Doc

I have one small question....

I know this is not determined by the state body but i have had a quick look at the guidelines for the AABC and My Roggenbier that qualified is not listed in their style listing under wheat beer as it was in the BJCP system.

Not complaining, just wondering if i should enter it under wheat and hope thay judge it or should i dump it in the dreaded "specialty" can of worns :blink:

cheers

Tony,

Not you again - didn't we a problem with your entry last year :(

I have just asked the question as I missed that one. There is a passionate debate raging about Seth's Berliner so I have just thrown your Rye into the mix.

I will let you know as soon as I hear.

Thanks
David

While you're at it, could you ask about my American rye. This is another qualifier with no home to go to in the Nationals. :(

Les,

So was your winning beer the one you just brewed for the case swap or 3 years old as per the newspaper article? Congrats again & best of luck in the nationals...

cheers Ross

[/quote]

This is another qualifier with no home to go to in the Nationals. :(
[/quote]

I'll say nothing but ..... how suprising!

Scotty

At least my APA has a home :rolleyes:

Les, great work on the Berliner, really was a fantastic drop.

Congrats to all, and in particular to Les, Trent and the other Newcastle brewers. It was great to see you all again and I got to judge some great beers to boot! Thanks also to Luke at Potters for his hospitality.

Thanks to Dave and Andrew for their organisation and to Mark for his sponsorship. A good weekend had by all :) Best of luck at the Nationals to the qualifiers,

Shawn.

Les,

So was your winning beer the one you just brewed for the case swap or 3 years old as per the newspaper article? Congrats again & best of luck in the nationals...

cheers Ross
It's the case swap beer. Oh, yeah!
I (mistakenly) advised Fran that the beer was 3 months-ish old, and it was misreported as 3 years. I thought I was clear enough, but maybe I was not. The beer was brewed on 11/5/06, so that makes it about 5 months old.

I got the age on the Old ale wrong, too. it was brewed on 7/7/02, so I suppose that means it's not 5, but it's into it's 5th year. I'm a bit scared to divulge the recipe, coz it's mostly junk, however lovingly crafted. It's gravity dropped from 1.094 to 1.001 over 5 months.

Les out :p

hooray for weird beers! :beer:

I always thought it was "seth out" as a sig, or am I just drunk again? :blink:

Ah crap - another one I missed.

Leave it with me.

Dave

Thanks.

Boozy, Seth and Les and Weizguy all work together on the brewing. ;)

Seth, we did say it was a good beer. Congratulations. :super:

I think this may just be a case of another "les" coming out of the cupboard :D

PS if anyone else understands this post to this point, can they please send Boozy a PM ;)

Well done, again, to all the AHB winners.

Spun - well done, you got the highest scoring Scottish in both shows ;)

hooray for weird beers! :beer:

Maybe it always was, and maybe it isn't now...

Maybe it will be again, when the name changes.

Anyway, what about my emoticon, isn't that important, too?

Seth out (he he) :p

Congrats to Les on his official name change! (Notice how I didnt mention the war?) How many signatures will you have now?
T

maybe we can enter them under my new "can of worns" catagory :p

Thanks ross :D

Oh and thanks David for checking up........ i hope im not getting a bad name as a trouble maker :unsure:

cheers

Oh and thanks David for checking up........ i hope im not getting a bad name as a trouble maker :unsure:

No Tony, that is my current title with the AABA !

You are known as the poor, entrant suffering at the hands of the recalcitrant NSW organisors. I would post some of the messages that I have received in reply their content would probably violate the AHB acceptable use policies and are certainly unsuitable for polite company.

No news yet ......

David

[/quote]

No Tony, that is my current title with the AABA !

[/quote]

Must be catching!

Scotty

Les

Congratulations on your fantastic win. For those who don't know, Les puts a lot of effort and research into the brews he makes and works hard to acheive a beer that's in style. I know this as I have seen him brew, picked his brains whilst learning to mash brew (and still do.) It' great to have such a knowledgable brewer living just down the road that I can easily call on.

And also a congratulations to all the class winners on the day.

Regards

Stephen

Latest posts

Back