The 2006 Nsw Homebrewing Championships

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As the organiser of the beers for the Exam I did try and throw some curly ones in. Did anyone pick the fault with Beer #1?

Many thanks to my fellow organisers and Potters/Luke/Josh. The generosity is outstanding from the boys and it a venue hard to beat. Never a bad beer is had at Potters.

Hanging around comps for the last few years it is wonderful to see folks keen to judge and do so with some backing; rather than having to rope any tom/dick/harry into the job.

Rock on!

Scotty

Scotty
I now know what the fault was, but I picked it as an very bad case of DMS (not correct - or only partially so).
Anyway, just to add to what the others said, the weekend was fantastic, good to put faces to names, and MASSIVE thanks to those that made it possible (Mark, Andrew, David, Potters, stewards, judges, etc...), and a special mention again to Luke and Josh at potters for going above and beyond the call of duty by a long way. If you ever find yourself wine touring in the hunter, you would be doing yourself a dis-service if ya miss Potters. Very big thanks also to MHB for putting up all the prizes on top of organising. If ya can make it next year, please come along, you wont be disappointed.
All the best
Trent
PS That exam had to be the quickest 3 hours I have ever experienced!

Very big thanks also to MHB for putting up all the prizes

Well the results have been uploaded to here in PDF format. Congradulations to all the winners !

One thing that hasn't been said is a big vote of thanks to Mark's Home Brew Shop for donating more than $1300 of his own money for all the prize winners. In the absence of other sponsors we were trying to work out the best prizes to give when Mark came up with 'give them the run of the shop'.

All prize winners will receive a gift voucher for $100, $50, $30 or $20.

Due to some small differences between the way NSW and the Nationals categorise the beer styles, placing in a category does not automatically flow onto qualification for the National Competition. The second page of the results lists the qualifiers for the AABC. Eligible brewers can download an entry form from the VicBrew website. Note that entries close within a week, but they have been advised who has qualified so there is some lattitude with the closing date. But for the best possible result, please get your entries in ASAP.

Thanks again to all the helpers.

David

Who is this Barry Cranston fella?

Is he a member here? Not that I personally want award winning beer but 'Crikey' he must know a thing or two about brew. :eek:

yep... big thanks to MHB, verrrrrrry generous of you mate. :super:

Congrats to les on that breliner weise and barry on an outstanding performance as usual :p You are going to have to write a book mate :D and all other placegetters

and the one beer i least expected to score did well.... its always the way hey.

cheers

Well done Barry, great results as always - Trent, 2 x 1st & a 3rd, awesome stuff mate :)
Congratulations to all the place getters, especially AHB members & good luck in the nationals to those qualifiers.
Hope sponsorship goes better next year guys, good on yer Mark for stepping in :super: .

2 bottle entry put me off being interstate, but maybe next year :) ...

cheers Ross

Awesome job by the organisers, judges and sponsors.
And to the AHB members that have excelled; Barry, Les, Trent etc.
I'm very happy with my results too.

Beers,
Doc

Congrats to all the winners, especially to Weizguy for claiming best of show, with probably the lowest alcohol beer in the show! He also did pretty well with possibly the highest alcohol beer in the show (a 13.7% old ale). Well done to Doc, Barry, Weizguy, Goatherder, Barry, Tony, Kieth and any of the other board members that claimed a spot. I am over the moon with my performance too. Was a blast of a weekend, cant wait till next year. Best of luck for the nationals, everyone.
By the way, Boozy, Barry Cranston is on here, under the name of Barry. He knows more than a thing or 2 about beer, and if you ever open some comp results and notice Barry's name absent, we had better start calling him to make sure he is OK. Probably the most winningest brewer in Oz, and a very friendly chap to boot.
All the best
Trent

Good Day
I just to thank all who made the comp such a great, enjoyable one. Luke and Josh two of the nicest , generous blokes you would ever meet (you must go to Potters if you get a chance), Mark from Mark's Home Brew Shop a most generous and enthusiastic supporter of home brewing, Andrew whose organising made the judging run so smoothly, David who is posting results after midnight which only indicates the amount of effort he has put in and all the others (not Scotty because praise will only make him worse :D ). The actual comp day is just the tip of the ice berg in regards to the work put in by all the hard working home brewers, so thanks to all involved.
It was great to meet all the old friends again and meet so many new ones.
PS Lindsay Dive and I use code names to hide our true identities :D

and the one beer i least expected to score did well.... its always the way hey.

Too true. :rolleyes:

Congrats to all the AHBers who did well, especially Les and Barry. (Seems like there are quite a lot of AHB winners. :super: )

Thanks to all those who did the work running the comp and to MHB for generous support. :beerbang:

How was best in show awarded? Not the highest scoring beer?

& congrats Weizguy, should have realised that was you :)

cheers Ross...

What the... i came 2nd in the APA class? Whoa, i didn't think i put in an entry! I completely forgot what i put into the comp!!! That recipe is in the Recipes section under "hop monster APA" - i guess it was a bit more balanced than i thought after 2-3 months in the bottle. (and should i wake up the demons by saying that beer was no-chilled?)

Congrats to everyone that was a winner, being a judge i can tell you that there were some really fantastic entries coming out ( i loved Trent Maier's AIPA ), there were a few poor ones too but i guess you get that!

As the organiser of the beers for the Exam I did try and throw some curly ones in. Did anyone pick the fault with Beer #1?

Neither Trev nor I (the two proctors) got it. We thought it was a classic example :blink:

The beer was left in the sun for a couple of days in a clear bottle.

Must be those new Tetrahops or sommink. :ph34r:

Berp.

Well done to all the winners and placegettes. :)

Just one odd question though. Weiz's Berliner being judged in the Belgian section? I would have thought a Berliner Weisse would have been judged in the wheat beer section. Hate to state the bleeding obvious. :blink:

Well done all the same Weizguy. I've heard it's a fantastic drop and well deserved. ;)

Warren -

Just one odd question though. Weiz's Berliner being judged in the Belgian section? I would have thought a Berliner Weisse would have been judged in the wheat beer section.

Warren -

We use the BJCP guidelines (why re-invent a wheel that has already covered a lot of ground).

Berliner is included with the sour beers with the Lambics and Flanders (http://www.bjcp.org/styles04/Category17.html) and we combine this with the 2 Belgian Categories.

There is not much wheat taste in there.

David

We use the BJCP guidelines (why re-invent a wheel that has already covered a lot of ground).

Berliner is included with the sour beers with the Lambics and Flanders (http://www.bjcp.org/styles04/Category17.html) and we combine this with the 2 Belgian Categories.

David

:lol: :lol: In defence of the decision I guess Berlin and Belgium both begin with a "B". :blink:

Warren -

How was best in show awarded? Not the highest scoring beer?

cheers Ross...

Well spotted Ross.

No the highest score doesn't immediately translate to BOS due to differences between the judging panels - one table could be judging a little harsh while the next could could have just had a run of awfull beers then goes a little over the top when they hit a good one - There are internal checks within each flight to ensure that the best beer does come first in its category.

The winning beers from each category are re-judged by a panel of 5 judges to determine which one best fits the style guidelines - this one becomes the Best of Show (usually after much discussion!)

David

David

:lol: :lol: In defence of the decision I guess Berlin and Belgium both begin with a "B". :blink:

Warren -

Oh, so they do ! I hadn't noticed as we only look at the character of the beer and not their names :p

Yes, we were being a little harsher in scoring than most tables when we were doing the Belgians. The Weisse was a fantastic drop but i don't think we really knew how to score it against a commercial example since the commercial example is so rare. That said, we definitely did think it was the best of the Belgian/French class, however we didn't really give any beers higher than 40/50 individually on our table, whereas plenty of other tables did. I guess it's good to see that it did win champion beer, since it was the best beer that i tasted on the day, closely followed by Trent M's AIPA.

Latest posts

Back