Tf Floor Malted Maris Otter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

altstart

Reaction score
Gooday People

I am about to start useing TF FM MO that I bought in the Qld bulk buy in January. Are there any issues with chill haze with this grain?. It would be nice to be prepared to add brewbrite during the boil to deal with this issue.

Cheers Altstart

Probably best to move this to the all grain subforum.

I have used heaps of TF MO and usually don't worry about chill haze as I drink my UK bitters warmer than lagers etc. However it can throw a haze. Polyclar usually fixes it, I made an American Amber (intended to be drunk cold) with it recently and for some reason totally forgot to Polyclar it and it's ended up shockingly chill hazed but tastes ok of course.

What's Brewbrite? Is it one of those new compounds that removes polyphenols in the kettle as opposed to use in fermenter? Sounds interesting.

Gooday People

I am about to start useing TF FM MO that I bought in the Qld bulk buy in January. Are there any issues with chill haze with this grain?. It would be nice to be prepared to add brewbrite during the boil to deal with this issue.

Cheers Altstart

I have brewed one beer with 100% TF MO and it was a very clear and bright beer, so I wouldn't be too concerned.

Suck it and See.

Edit: This was served cold.

There you go.
I BIAB and have often wondered if the flipside of the speed and ease of BIAB - which does indeed produce cloudier wort into the kettle - might be more polyphenols carrying over into the beer. So if you are using a more conventional 3 vessel system and are fastidious with your sparging you should be ok. However for a few paltry cents per brew I'd still polyclar as an insurance.

TFMO + Whirlfloc + Gelatine and a bit of cold conditioning has produced diamond bright beers from quite hazy wort in my stovetop partials, but the most I have used at one time is 2kg.

Forgot to mention that I didn't use any finings at any point in the process..

But as Bribie mentioned if your cruch is very fine, you may run into chill haze.

My previous experiences with Fawcetts MO have shown it to produce remarkably clear beers, unlike Bairds at times.
That said, I polyclar as a matter of routine now, so can't confirm if there's a problem or not these days.

cheers Ross

I've done a 100% TF MO beer. Very clear, though some slight chill haze at temperatures you really shouldn't be drinking a bitter at. :D

If your drinking beers made with TFMO too cold then maybe you have other problems besides chill haze. ;) :p

Back