Tettnang Or Fuggle Rhizome?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lowtech

Reaction score
I have read in various documents and posts around the net that the US grown tettnang is widely considered to be a Fuggle.
But THIS document(study at Wye) Has me wondering if My year old Tettnang Rhizome Purchased from Tassie is in Fact a Fuggle instead.

"Analyses of essential oil from 16 samples and α-acids and β-acids in 9 samples of Tettnanger hops grown in the USA showed that they were not the same as Tettnanger hops grown in the Tettnang district of Germany. The composition of the essential oils and ratios of α-acid to β-acid in samples grown in the USA were consistent with them being the English variety Fuggle. Samples of USA clones of Tettnanger and Hallertau mittelfrher grown in Australia also appeared to be Fuggle but a commercial sample of Saaz grown in Yakima was similar to Saaz grown in England, at Wye. The varieties Saaz and Tettnanger were indistinguishable by chemical methods."

Mine hasn't produced cones as yet to evaluate.Neither does comparing leaf style to online photos clarify anything.

Does any one else have a Tettnanger from Stu that has flowered , that can shed any light on the subject?
I certainly won't be disappointed if it is a fuggle, just unsure of what I've really got

There is no such thing as one Tassie tettnang.
The HPA museum garden has several provenances of Tettnang, one of which originated in the US, and came to Tassie when Anheuser Busch contracted AHM to grow it for them. Of the other three at least one comes in directly from Germany via Barth-Haas, the parent company of HPA. Same with Hallertau Mittlefrueh. The genuine thing is down here and is being used in the breeding program.
As to what you got... who knows. Who did you get them from?

MFS.

Thanks for the reply.

Stewart Ferguson was the supplier if that helps narrow it down.

L.T

Thanks for the reply.

Stewart Ferguson was the supplier if that helps narrow it down.

L.T

I think Stewart Ferguson is one of the (very few) growers outside the Hop Products Australia company. I have no idea where he may have sourced these. I'd say they're likely to be US stock that AB contracted to have grown, as these were grown in NE Tassie where he's located. They may or may not be Fuggle, but there's a fair chance. I'm sure if you approached him he'd have more info on this.

Sorry to not be of more help.

MFS.

I think Stewart Ferguson is one of the (very few) growers outside the Hop Products Australia company. I have no idea where he may have sourced these. I'd say they're likely to be US stock that AB contracted to have grown, as these were grown in NE Tassie where he's located. They may or may not be Fuggle, but there's a fair chance. I'm sure if you approached him he'd have more info on this.

Sorry to not be of more help.

MFS.

Cheers L.T

Back