Test Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonenose

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Looking for a basic all grain ale recipe to use for a test to try and sort out my brewing technique and get equipment profile worked out. Want to try and do a few brews using same recipe with the end goal being repeatable consistant results so obviously thinking simple recipe is best to eliminate too many variables. Using a Robobrew and fermenting at 18-20 degrees. Because of work roster prefer not to dry hop for this as it really restricts when I can do up a brew.

Cheers

94% ale
6% crystal
Hops of choice at intervals say 60 min, 20 mins and flameout to 35-40 ibu
Mash at 66-67

Enjoy

At 18-20 temps and you want to make a simple repeatable beer. I'd go a SMaSH with Maris Otter or good quality Ale malt with a nice hop that you like at 30 IBU (Challenger or Goldings to make it more English or Saaz or Styrians to make it more Belgian or German, or some of the American varieties that are out there, but keep your Hops to the style of yeast you use). Keep it clean and keep it simple with your choice of yeast - German Ale or S04/Nottingham or S05 (depending on preference).

SMaSH means you can do what you seem to be planning and play with the variables such as different mash temps, different boil times, different techniques that lead you to a beer you can consistently brew that you also like (right?).

Cool, cheers guys. Completely new to brewing and have started with a few all grain recipe kits that I am yet to taste so hoping for the best. However was thinking that maybe I should try a basic recipe do a few brews with it and see if my results are the same and therefore I am actually getting my equipment etc. to do what it should. Also should allow me if I do get varied results to try and work out where I am having issues and what I can try to do correct this. So initially would not be looking to change anything so as to try get a bit of a base line. In future I would also then be able to play around with this as a base and experiment with different hops and grains etc.
Cheers

Ok so going to give this a try, may have gotten carried away with the hops, possibly could have kept it a bit simpler not really sure but combo sounded interesting.

4.5kg Marris Otter
0.28kg Med Crystal
Mash as Lethaldog sugested above

20g Amarillo @ 60mins

20g Cascade @ 20mins
20g Galaxy @ 20mins

20g Cascade @ 0mins
20g Galaxy @ 0mins

US 05 yeast

Any feedback?

Latest posts

Back