Tempurature Fluctuation

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iron23

Reaction score
Another question keeps coming up in my mind as the fermentation is now on its 3rd day.

Ive been trying to keep the brew cold (around 18C)

Although it tends to be a little hit and miss going as high as 24 and as low as 16-17C at times. For the most part it stays around 18.

How will all this change affect the outcome ?

My impression is that continual wide temperature fluctuations (particularly over temp) are less helpful than just having a stable temp but several degrees high, so this batch may be affected. However, if its spending most of the time around 18 with the occasional fluctuation then it may well be OK and will certainly be better than completely unregulated temperature.
What are you measuring temp with though? If its just the stick- on indicator with coloured patches, I wouldn't put too much emphasis on it as they seem to be affected by air temp as well, so it may not be quite as bad as what you're seeing. By the sounds of it you're heading in the right direction, a dead fridge should help a good bit, but a live one with a simple temp controller (Tempmate etc) immensely so.
Hope this helps! :icon_cheers:

Back