Temprature For Brewing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenny23

Reaction score
Hey ive just bottled a coopers bitter (kit)
ive had it brewing in my hot water cupboard as n e were else would be to cold getting close to 1 deg overnight. The temp of the Hwc was bout 24deg . Any suggestions?

18 to 20 is the suggested temp for brewing ale but you can brew at 24 you will just produce more esters and higher alcohol flavors (mostly non desirable flavors). try brewing at 18 to 20 next time and you will be able to tell the difference.
You could also try brewing a lagger next time they can brew at temps around the 4 to 12 temps (i think, i don't brew laggers).

Punkal is right.

You will get less 'twang' and fruity ester from the yeast if you brew it lower and 18-20 is ideal for ale yeast temps (coopers being an ale yeast). That said if you search around the range of this yeast on many home brew store sites is 18-24 degrees so you might come up ok with this one. (the coopers instructions don't count as they will tell you to brew up to 26 which is crazy). Depends on what you're trying to acheive. If you're wanting the cleanest tasting beer possible without the twang don't go that high (24 degrees). Or next time turf the yeast and buy an S-04 or US-05 yeast and your kit will finish surprisingly clean tasting. If you're sticking with coopers yeast on your next one don't go any higher than 24 as you'll be taking it beyond the recommended range and into fruity twang city.

Hopper.

+1 on US05

I think you are much better with no yeast flavours than any bad yeast flavours. If I had no temp control, I think this is basically the only yeast I'd use.

If you open the door on the cupboard, you might be able to regulate the temp a little.

It might be an idea to fill an insulated fermenter with water and monitor the temp over a few days at different times, both in the cupboard and also where it is cold. You might have perfect temps for some very cool yeasts.

If you insulate it, and have a good pitch of yeast, you might get a stong ferment in a cooler part of the house at a lower temp, let it go for about a week, and then move it to your water heater cupboard to finish it right out for a few extra days. That way the majority of alcohold production will be done in the cool, but you will guarantee a complete ferment.

+1 on US05

I think you are much better with no yeast flavours than any bad yeast flavours. If I had no temp control, I think this is basically the only yeast I'd use.

If you open the door on the cupboard, you might be able to regulate the temp a little.

It might be an idea to fill an insulated fermenter with water and monitor the temp over a few days at different times, both in the cupboard and also where it is cold. You might have perfect temps for some very cool yeasts.

If you insulate it, and have a good pitch of yeast, you might get a stong ferment in a cooler part of the house at a lower temp, let it go for about a week, and then move it to your water heater cupboard to finish it right out for a few extra days. That way the majority of alcohold production will be done in the cool, but you will guarantee a complete ferment.

thanks guys really helpfull. I bottled it up and had a taste. I think it will be quite drinkable

Back