Temple Saison

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hazard

Reaction score
had one of these at Mrs Parma's recently, and really enjoyed it.

http://www.templebrewing.com.au/beer/saison.html

This stuff is bottle conditioned - does anyone know if they use primary yeast for conditioning? If so, would it be worthwhile cultivating some for my own saison (number 6 in a list of 1,001 beers I want to make before i die).

Hazard

Addiing to this thread, Temple Saison currently on tap at Beer De Luxe (Fed Square) running through a randal.
I think it was packed with cinnamon, ginger, corriander and Pacific Jade hop flowers :icon_drool2:
Spicy and delicious, though probably not one for the "low-carb" crowd.

Temple Saison is delicious (and the randal at Beer Deluxe does some pretty amazing things to it too!!) - I dont know about the bottling yeast being the primary one.. but I expect it probably is, anything else would mean filtering hte beer and re-dosing in yeast, and there aren't too many micros who would be bothered with that (although there are some...)

The brewer Ron Feruglio is I believe an old homebrewer and there is a fair chance that if you e-mail him he will let you know one way or the other.

TB

I could be wrong, but it tastes a lot like the Dupont strain (Wyeast 3724). If it is, be warned that it ferments like lightning for the first week, only to slow to a crawl and takes another couple of weeks to finish out. FWIW, I ferment mine very hot, 26 - 28C - perfect for summer brewing.

I have never made a saison but it is at the top of my list for when I get the time to get the B3 out. Someone was telling me that the saison yeast usually stops half way through and you need to finish with something else like a saf06?? Any one had that problem??

I have never made a saison but it is at the top of my list for when I get the time to get the B3 out. Someone was telling me that the saison yeast usually stops half way through and you need to finish with something else like a saf06?? Any one had that problem??

It usually slows down a lot and ramping the temp up to high 20's-30 degrees is usually required to finish it off quickly.
However a bit of patience goes a long way with this strain imo. Another really good option is the farmhouse ale yeast, if you can get your hands on it. (Wyeast seasonal).

Q

Patience is a virtue when it comes to farmhouse yeasts. Just let them do their thing - it is common for them to take up to 6 weeks to attenuate fully. I would ramp up to close to 30 if necessary towards the end of ferment, but would never use a second yeast strain. Well, that is unless I'd done something stupid like cook the primary strain, in which case I would prefer to pitch more of the original yeast.

Temple's Saison is also my fave!

Patience is a virtue when it comes to farmhouse yeasts. Just let them do their thing - it is common for them to take up to 6 weeks to attenuate fully. I would ramp up to close to 30 if necessary towards the end of ferment, but would never use a second yeast strain. Well, that is unless I'd done something stupid like cook the primary strain, in which case I would prefer to pitch more of the original yeast.

Temple's Saison is also my fave!

I agree with Brendon, we haved talked about this over a beer a few years back. the saison 3724 yeast is slow but it gives a great complexity to the beer, I had to use 001 to finish one off mine of a while back and it did dumb it down it a bit.

I wouldnt reculture from a bottle you never really know what you are going to get, just buy a pack of 3724 and you can be sure of what you are getting.

I also like the Temple Saison, its a very good beer with great balance and drinkablity.

Cheers

Brett

Latest posts

Back