Temperature Too Hot

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clemo

Reaction score
Tell you what, Ive brewed beers during heatwaves in a little fibro house with no fan or air conditioning and NEVER had a brew go over 30c. Yet ive had to tip out 3 brews this summer, and i now live in an insulated brick home with air con, due to the wort sitting at 38 degrees!!!! Ive even tried ice and it just takes too long to cool the wort before adding the yeast.

Anyways, anyone else having this problem lately?

Tell you what, Ive brewed beers during heatwaves in a little fibro house with no fan or air conditioning and NEVER had a brew go over 30c. Yet ive had to tip out 3 brews this summer, and i now live in an insulated brick home with air con, due to the wort sitting at 38 degrees!!!! Ive even tried ice and it just takes too long to cool the wort before adding the yeast.

Anyways, anyone else having this problem lately?

All brewing is on hold until temps below 30 degrees and humidity below 99.99999999%. I'm hoping it didn't stuff my beers that I did already have on just before the temp upped. I had it in my bedroom with aircon to 18 degrees, to at least keep its temp down. Hope it works, anyway.

Goomba

Yup, I gave the fermenter ice baths and then wrapped it up in a blanket and a kids sleeping bag over the top of that. Checked it every night when it was hot. All up I gave my last brew 2 ice baths over the 14 days. Our house has the old school insulation which looks like a thick layer of dust, our house can cook. The weather in Melbourne has been like a yo-yo of late, its bound to be 40deg next week.

ive had to tip out 3 brews this summer
If you're spending, say, $30/batch then put the cash you'll waste on throwing out another 3 [6, however many justifies it to you] and get yourself a second-hand fridge to ferment in.

Really, in the long-run, you're saving money. :beer:

If you're spending, say, $30/batch then put the cash you'll waste on throwing out another 3 [6, however many justifies it to you] and get yourself a second-hand fridge to ferment in.

Really, in the long-run, you're saving money. :beer:

+1

i bought a second hand fridge on ebay for $50. one of these temp controls for $30
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...e=STRK:MEWNX:IT
few stubbies to me electrician mate to install it.. cant go wrong for 80 bucks.. temp range 0-24 deg

it even fit in where the original temp control was....

photo.JPG

adz if thats inside the fridge you "can go wrong" the temp controlers dont like geting damp[condensation]its designed to go outside the fridge[dont ask how I know :( ]

adz if thats inside the fridge you "can go wrong" the temp controlers dont like geting damp[condensation]its designed to go outside the fridge[dont ask how I know :( ]

fair point.. was put in by a sparky though... would figure he probably thought of that.... :huh: i'll check it out. cheers

....spoke to the guy... its wrapped in Styrofoam "in front of the airflow" so it should not be hit with any condensation.... :huh: oh well, if it muffs up will get another one in a jiffy box outside the unit...fridge has a lock on it so little hands cant get anywhere near the inside of it should it go pear shape....

Back