Temperature fluctuation - Effects on beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pipsyboy said:
I'm doing an experiment now to see if I can get the temp low enough to do a lager.
attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1411888298.686833.jpg

Hmmm, might want to shut the door.......

:huh:

Yeah mate. The polystyrene block Squashes the probe against the side of the fermenter whilst shielding it from the ambient temperature.

In other news, the experiment worked and I am able to keep the temp at 11 degrees (give or take half a degree) with 2 five litre frozen bottles changed every morning.

Nice setup mate (must get myself a temp probe!)

Just a thought, do you still have the shelves from the fridge? If so, you might get a longer cool by putting the top shelf in (with insulation on top of it) to effectively bring the fridge ceiling down to just above your fermenter. The cold air has less fridge to chill and you might get to spend more time drinking beer and less time swopping frozen bottles
It worked for me when I reduced the height of my homemade 'fridge' and I can now keep an even 14 degrees (according to the stick-on temp strip on the fermy) with one 2litre frozen water bottle replenished each day.

Hope every brew's a winner

Just a thought, do you still have the shelves from the fridge? If so, you might get a longer cool by putting the top shelf in (with insulation on top of it) to effectively bring the fridge ceiling down to just above your fermenter.

I do mate. What would I use as insulation?

Latest posts

Back