Temperature Controllers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for your sorting this bulk buy out Dreamboat :eek:)

I have just ordered thorugh my contact.... now we have to wait and see as to how many (maybe all) that we can get off the shelf immediately. I am a good chance of picking them tomorrow, so all should be all good by the middle of next week.

dreamboat

Hi Gents,
I have a question for all you knowlegdable folk about these Dixell controllers in regards to heating a HLT. I use a 25L urn for my HLT, the element is 2400W. Now, would you connect up the controller in a similar fashion to a fridge? ie, wire the controller to a power point, plug the urn into the power point and turn the knob on the urn up to high and let the controller do it's thing? If not, how would I go about it?

cheers

Browndog

Edited MLT to HLT

browndog, all you would have to do is hook the urn into the heating relay instead of the cooling.

I'd still like to be able to use the urn for boiling water for sterilising purposes and I believe that the these Dixel controllers (or the thermocouples) are not too happy getting that hot, am I right Fellas?

cheers

Browndog

If you are looking to boil with an urn ther appears to be little use of having a temp controller at all. The water will reach 100C, boil, and that is where it will stay.

I use my controller for HLT or fridge depending on what I want to do.... well, at least I did before I got more controllers. No need to rewire the Dixell, just press a couple of buttons to change the function from cooling to heating.

dreamboat

Yes Rob, I want to use mine for my HLT too, but I also want to be able to still use it to boil whenever I want boiling water for cleaning up etc, so how would I go about setting it up for that ?

cheers

Browndog

Alrighty,
thanks to the guys on this thread I have got my controller sussed out. Having no wiring knowledge what so ever, I want to play the dumb card. So I appologise for the post about power points. All I had to do was look at Mobriens post and see how he wired his unit up. Monkey see, monkey do! It took me a while to work out how to change the parameters etc, and I'm not sure that I have not inadvertantly buggered some setting up but it seems to be working OK. Can anyone offer some tips for fine tuning the unit for heating? Aside from the set point the only adjustment I can see to make is the HY which I have set a 0.5C

cheers

Browndog

dixcel.JPG

Controllers all collected today.
I have already put three express bags together so those will get in the post today.... I am off to the post office now to get more express bags, so the rest will be posted tomorrow - so long as I can track down everyones addresses.

JSB.... no controllers for you until I get your address!!!

dreamboat

I took 10 mins at the post office and addressed the rest.... so for eveyone who gave me an address - your controller(s) is(are) on the way.

dreamboat

Received my 2 today :D took an hour and a half to fit and wire the first one :( and only 10min for the 2nd :) thanks to a pm to agro, there is never a 'greenie' [sparky] around when you need one, dibdabs have no idea :blink: Delboy, mandraker and others on this site will understand.
Thanks Dreamboat for a fine effort...BZ

what do you mean mate i was online at work but im only an electronics tech

barls said:
what do you mean mate i was online at work but im only an electronics tech
[post="114559"][/post]​

Ok :( there was a greenie on line, I would have pm you barls, agro was good with the wiring but what really helped was the photo he posted on this thread of the wiring.
They are both up and running as I type :)

Can't spell!

Quick question from the Techs out there <_< When I wired my two up I put a 10 amp fuse in the one I will use for the HLT but not in the other for fridge use, should I have but one in both units? I am guess yes :( what have others done?
As Agro said " I don't want the controller being an expensive FUSE" :blink:
Off to the store to buy another breaker I think.

bindi said:
Quick question from the Techs out there <_< When I wired my two up I put a 10 amp fuse in the one I will use for the HLT but not in the other for fridge use, should I have but one in both units? I am guess yes :( what have others done?
As Agro said " I don't want the controller being an expensive FUSE" :blink:
Off to the store to buy another breaker I think.
[post="114791"][/post]​

If the thing goes S/C earth then it will be f()(@d anyway, but a fuse could save a fire Bindi.

Cheers

Back