Temperature Controller

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chiro

Reaction score
Well we just ordered a new fridge for the kitchen. That means I will have a fridge to ferment in Woo Hooo!!!!

Ok, so I need a temperature controller. I don't want to pay much, just needs to be basic but don't want something cheap that will fail either. So can anyone recommend where I should look for one? Brands??

Next question can the layman hook one up or do you need a sparky?

TIA

Well we just ordered a new fridge for the kitchen. That means I will have a fridge to ferment in Woo Hooo!!!!

Ok, so I need a temperature controller. I don't want to pay much, just needs to be basic but don't want something cheap that will fail either. So can anyone recommend where I should look for one? Brands??

Next question can the layman hook one up or do you need a sparky?

TIA

Get one of these from ebay. Cheap and work great.

STC1000

And you will find plenty of information on them in this post here.

STC1000 post

If you have basic common sense and can understand wiring diagrams you can make one up in a jiffy box yourself.

If not where do you live? Im sure someone could help out.

If you have basic common sense and can understand wiring diagrams you can make one up in a jiffy box yourself.

If not where do you live? Im sure someone could help out.

Thanks Truman.

Bloody cheap, I was expecting a couple of hundred dollars.

That one from eBay is just a reptile thermostat, same as this one here: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/110940631034?ss...#ht_5195wt_1156 which was $10.49 posted from Hong Kong. So somebody in Aus. is making a pretty penny reselling those - you can see that he's sold at least 215 of those already. A cool 4.3 grand.

But anyway, the one for $10.49, from some Hong Kong seller, works fine, I actually use it for controlling the heating for my baby chickens, but i'm sure it would work for the purpose stated above, though in cooling mode, I don't think there would be any protection delay for the compressor.

I just brought and wired up an stc-1000 and it really is simple. I thought it was going to be allot harder then it was. And if you are not comfortable wiring it up im sure someone will be willing to help.

a few people have had failures with those reptile ones... I run STC 1000's on all my beer needs and never had an issue.. love them.

I bought one of the reptile things for another project and it seems to work fine, but it's not as easy to read in a dimly lit shed and also the control pad on mine was installed upside down! even more difficult when it's plugged into the power point! ... gotta love quality control...

the thing with those reptile things is they only control one item... in a ferment fridge you're better off having a heat belt or heat pad and the fridge controlled by the STC 1000. that way you can maintain really accurate temps...

best thing you'll ever do for your beer is temp control the ferment (and pitch at the right temp :) )

Back