Temp

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

65bellett

Reaction score
I'm sure these questions have been asked before and I'm sure I may have read the answers but I am getting paranoid about temperature and I need clarafication. I have brew kit in my loungeroom and I have the climate control sat at a constant 19 deg c. If the air temp is 19 deg c will the liquid in my brewer be 19 deg c?

My next question is does the brew create it's own heat? During winter I use a heat band and a jacket to get the desired temp. If I was to put the jacket on now would it increase the temp in the brewer by a small bit because it is creating it's own heat (even just a small amount of heat) and gaurd against temp fluctuations which there are a few of this time of year in Melbourne.

Maybe I'm just being paranoid please tell me.

Yes, fermentation creates heat. If room temperature is 19C constantly, this will be fine. Don't put the jacket on, that will only hold the heat produced from fermentation in, which you don't want.

1.Fermentation creates it own heat very minimal i think, but it does so becuase of the energy it creates as the yeast does its thing
2. Constant air temp will eventually bring the wort volume to that temperature

I seriously hope by 'climate control' you dont mean an air-conditioner?

I read that a vigorous fermentation can up the brew temp a few degrees C above ambient

I read that a vigorous fermentation can up the brew temp a few degrees C above ambient

Heck yes it can! I brewed a strong english ale with Windsor and the conical was VERY WARM to touch, I had the fermenter insulated and a thermostatically controlled heater on it, but it rocketed past. I had to drag it out of the shed into the cold night air and hose the fermenter with cold water to cool it off!

The amount activety contributes to temperature varies over the life of the brew. A couple of days in it will be contributing at least 3 degrees. At the very beginning and at the very end almost nothing.

Noxious, whats the problem with air conditioning?

yeh I notice with my brews there is a 1-2 degree rise when the fermentation really kicks in.

I think a fridge with a temp control will be they way to go for me in the future.

I think a fridge with a temp control will be they way to go for me in the future.

Oh yeah. I'm three brews in after getting a 'fridgemate' from first two sponsors to the right of the AHB logo. It's like having dishwater for the dishes. Makes it EASY! Soooo easy!

linky dink

These pics helped me put it together and it rocks. I feel like a fool for not doing it sooner...

InCider.

Thanx for the link InCider, those pics make it easier to workout how its done.

Thanx for the link InCider, those pics make it easier to workout how its done.
Thank the bloke that did the pics and all the other good advice the other members have provided. Just cranked a lager in the ferm fridge on 15deg...it's too easy...

Cheers,

InCider.

Back