Temp Controlled Hlt.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mschippr

Reaction score
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has an easy way to turn a keg into a temp controlled HLT? I have the key but am not sure what to purchase for the build. I am in the IT game so am not totally electronics illiterate, just dont want waste money buying stuff i dont need. ;)

Thanks,

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has an easy way to turn a keg into a temp controlled HLT? I have the key but am not sure what to purchase for the build. I am in the IT game so am not totally electronics illiterate, just dont want waste money buying stuff i dont need. ;)

Thanks,

There is plenty of info on here

For a controller check out the Sponsors above for a temp controller otherwise try the ebay STC-1000 aquarium controller.
The add a kettle element (which is controlled from the controller)

A tap and hose out.

QldKev

If you need a closer look at my conversion drop me a PM, here is my conversion with sight gauge.

DSCN3985.JPG

Probably ~2400W Element, could get away with less, will just take longer to come to temp.
Sightglass - There's more than one way to skin a cat, but the polycarbonate sightglass is really simple.
Ballvalve - Might as well go cheaper brass one piece on this. Options are to get someone to weld in a threaded nipple or attempt the ol' compression fitting. I prefer the ongoing simplicity of the welded joint but it will cost more upfront.
Camping matt and a bunch of gaffa tape - Insulate your HLT, your patience on brewday can be tested otherwise.
Lid - However you cut into that keg, work out a way of sticking a lid on it. Universal sizes can be found at some cookware shops. Once again, your time is precious.

Back