Teflon Tape And Cleaning Welds

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ash in Perth

Barrow Boys Brewing
Reaction score
hey i have 2 questions

what is teflon tape? im guessing its different than normal plumbers tape. would plumbers tape handle being used in a socket on the side of the kettle (flame underneath)?

Ive jsut had all my bits welded together and there is all this black mess around the welds. Do i need to remove this or wont it affect the beer or rust?

Cheers for your help.

Teflon/Thread Seal/Plumbers tape - all the same thing - will handle heat no problems.

Assuming its stainless - you would be best off with some pickling paste - Its magic gear. I got mine welded by a bloke who builds stainless targa bars for boats - the contents of 1 paintbrush is all you will need - its not cheap - and contains Hydroflouric Acid - dont get it on your hands.

Whetever you do dont attack the welds with a steel wire brush - stainless steel will rust.

RM

1. Polytetrafluorethylene. Good for 300C. Plumbers thread tape is this i'm sure.
2. My self made stainless welds are really black and ugly. I just made a black and ugly stout but I'm blaming the cook. Seriously though, I dont really think its a problem, but if its aesthetics you are worried about, you can clean them up with a bit of wet n dry.

ok cheers, the tape i have should be fine then

Im not worried about how it looks, i just dont want it rusting. In WA, you need a liscence for pickling paste because too many backyard gold miners killed themselves with it. I use CLR which is a weak acid based metal cleaner that seems to work alright on rust on the kegs. Ill try and grind some of the black stuff off and clean it up but its in pallces i cant get to on some spots so i cant get it all.

Cheers, Ash

or maybe use some undiluted phois but go to a welding place u may be a ble to score some pickling gel and it works well on stainless to but bad fumes ect or maybe u have a sheetmetal shop near by that uses s/s they may have a bit u can scab for beer

Im not worried about how it looks, i just dont want it rusting. In WA, you need a liscence for pickling paste because too many backyard gold miners killed themselves with it. I use CLR which is a weak acid based metal cleaner that seems to work alright on rust on the kegs. Ill try and grind some of the black stuff off and clean it up but its in pallces i cant get to on some spots so i cant get it all.

Cheers, Ash

I guess with stainless that how it looks is precisely the point - shiney and clean equates to hygenic - which is the whole point.

Just take the kettle to a place that welds stainless - armed with a few beers - if you are down Mandurah way I could certainly point you in the right direction - I know the chap I use is partial to beer.

Cheers

RM

I think that there are a few types of teflon tape.

The plain white one is great for all of your general plumbing requirements, whereas the yellow teflon tape is used on gas connections and is great on your kegging setups. I think that there may be another colour or two, but I haven't used them, so I can't comment.

Cheers,
Jase

I think that there are a few types of teflon tape.

The plain white one is great for all of your general plumbing requirements, whereas the yellow teflon tape is used on gas connections and is great on your kegging setups. I think that there may be another colour or two, but I haven't used them, so I can't comment.

Cheers,
Jase

I always use the pink high pressure one. Not because of high preasure but because as a plumber I am not a bad electrician and I get a lot fewer leaks with this stuff.

Derrick

Just a reminder to anyone planning on using Pickling Paste containing Hydroflouric Acid

Unless you know what you are doing stay away from it completely, it isn't a product to be used by backyard tradespeople

It will kill you in a very nasty way

That's my duty of care covered for today

Cheers

Ash,

just get yourself a 4 or 5 inch grinder and an 80 grade flap wheel, perfect for cleaning those welds up.

have a gawk below..

cheers

If you're really keen, the other one for repassivating stainless after you've attacked it with a wire brush or (in m ycase) grinders is nitric acid.

The other alternative that has also worked for me is to look after it really wekk for a couple of brews - it will self-passivate over a two week period.

AndyD

a wire brush will work too, but make sure its a stainless bristled wire brush NEVER USE STEEL OR BRASS , NEVER!!!!

with the pickling paste you must wear pvc gloves,saftey glasses and breathing ap and old clothes as this stuff eats concrete if u spill it

cheers for the help every one. it looks ok for now, if i have issues lateer ill take it to some one.

we use hydroflouric at uni for digesting rock, at 3rd year chem level we still need a supervisor, 2 pairs of gloves (inner chemical gloves outer elbow length polymer) chem proof apron and mask. 2 drops of the pure stuff we use is enough to kill

i tihnk burrowing a bit for my brewery may be out of the qwuestion:(

cheers for the help every one. it looks ok for now, if i have issues lateer ill take it to some one.

we use hydroflouric at uni for digesting rock, at 3rd year chem level we still need a supervisor, 2 pairs of gloves (inner chemical gloves outer elbow length polymer) chem proof apron and mask. 2 drops of the pure stuff we use is enough to kill

Bring the brewery to the lab

with the pickling paste you must wear pvc gloves,saftey glasses and breathing ap and old clothes as this stuff eats concrete if u spill it

I'll agree with this, my Brew Mate knocked over my tub while pasivating a new peice of the brewery.

There is now a large etched patch in the concrete that I remind him of every now and again.

Holy Crap they gave you pure hydroflouric in third year! We never got near the stuff until masters, and even then weren't alowed to handle it - strictly demo

Latest posts

Back