Teaching Beer Healer Jr To Bottle

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisluki

Reaction score
I was initially a bit hesitant to post this video after I made it. I wasn't sure if there might be a negative reaction to it in terms of me promoting under age drinking...which I don't believe I am.

Anyway, I was encouraged to post this by many other brewers who include their kids in their hobby.

Thought some of you might also be of the same mindset, so here it is!

yeah never mind those other pesky side habits/skills your jr. could pick up and apply, IN REAL LIFE, engineering, plumbing, applied math and arithmetic, analytical trouble shooting abstract system/beer design, chemistry, biology, etc, etc... keep going. Under age drinking is the least of your concerns here, your kid(s) may pick up skills for life from this kind of thing and get to hang out with a parent, not seeing any negative impacts at all.

when i am brewing my grandchildren investigate what i am doing..i explain what's going on

Last edited:
yeah never mind those other pesky side habits/skills your jr. could pick up and apply, IN REAL LIFE, engineering, plumbing, applied math and arithmetic, analytical trouble shooting abstract system/beer design, chemistry, biology, etc, etc... keep going. Under age drinking is the least of your concerns here, your kid(s) may pick up skills for life from this kind of thing and get to hang out with a parent, not seeing any negative impacts at all.

Great thoughts mate!

Nothing wrong there Chris. You have explained your intention and your lad is just learning good old life skills. Good to see a young lad helping his dad, heaps better than his head stuck in an iPad, computer games ect.
Learning about processes, cleanliness, sanitising and so forth is a good basis for other things.

(Good point you made about drinking to the lad. I’ve been drinking for a long time now and to be honest I can not recall ever thinking lI’m going to get pissed”, I enjoy drinking it’s just that sometimes you end up pissed. Nothing wrong in that.)

Chris..Does your young fell drink ginger beer..i so get him to make a batch of Non Alcholic.

Good stuff Chris - that will be the best Maths / Science lesson he has had for a long time (and I'm a primary school teacher). Whenever I go into the garage my two year old son always says, "Daddy making beer!" I would love to get him involved when he is a bit older.

I remember helping my dad bottle his kit and kilo batches when I was a similar age and it is now a hobby we share - although I can't convince him to move onto all grain, or even set up temperature controlled fermentation.

Also great that you are modelling a sensible approach to alcohol.

Nothing wrong there Chris. Good to see a young lad helping his dad, heaps better than his head stuck in an iPad, computer games ect.

Yeah mate, exactly...the less ipad time he gets, the better it is!

Great video. I've done much the same thing with my boys, the eldest has been helping on and off in various ways since he was 5. Now he's 16 doing school subjects like science, chem, biology, and looking at Uni options, we have great discussions on the brewing processes, barley, malts, etc.
Brewing must be one of the few hobbies that can encompass so many areas of learning.
Aside from that, I get my grains crushed quicker, and my bottling done in half the time.

Brewing must be one of the few hobbies that can encompass so many areas of learning.
Aside from that, I get my grains crushed quicker, and my bottling done in half the time.

haha, you win!!!!

Good on you Chris. No kids of my own but my nieces understand what drinking is and know it’s an adult pursuit. Much the same for my friends with kids too, they’re brought up around alcohol with awareness and a sense of what it’s about. But generally, I’d back you because it’s time with your kids and stuff anyone who wants to have a dig at that! Great work.

Hi Chris. Nothing wrong with having the kids help and I look forward to mine taking an interest when they are old enough. The only thing I picked up on was the sanitizer pour. Was that Phosphoric acid based sanitizer that he poured all over his hands? The stuff I have is 50% Phos. and I'd probably re-think him handling it where it can pour over his hands like it did. Not a criticism, but just for the learning of safe chem handling etc.

Latest posts

Back