Tastes Fine, Looks Wrong - Identifying Infection

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

discoloop

Reaction score
Just wanted to throw this one out there. Beer bottled today - tastes fine, good in fact. But there was something interesting going on over the surface. There was a very slight, and I mean slight, oiliness to the top of the beer and the top third of the batch contained a lot of tiny little floaty bits. Almost like globs of yeast or hop debris that never settled out but I'm moderately confident the bits are neither of those things.

I racked off the bottom 2/3ds of the beer which contained heaps less floaties - but still a few - and bottled as normal.

There were no strange or off smells in the fermenter whatsoever.

What do you reckon? Does that sound like an infection??? If so, what kind?

I'm planning on drinking the beer as per normal until it starts tasting wrong, gets globby...or I die.

Just wanted to throw this one out there. Beer bottled today - tastes fine, good in fact. But there was something interesting going on over the surface. There was a very slight, and I mean slight, oiliness to the top of the beer and the top third of the batch contained a lot of tiny little floaty bits. Almost like globs of yeast or hop debris that never settled out but I'm moderately confident the bits are neither of those things.

I racked off the bottom 2/3ds of the beer which contained heaps less floaties - but still a few - and bottled as normal.

There were no strange or off smells in the fermenter whatsoever.

What do you reckon? Does that sound like an infection??? If so, what kind?

I'm planning on drinking the beer as per normal until it starts tasting wrong, gets globby...or I die.
What yeast did you pitch ?
GB

Sounds like acetobacter, keep an eye on it, check bottles regularly, it might turn to vinegar

Acetobacter is what I was thinking. Tasted fine though, which is weird. I would have expected some sort of vinegar characteristic. Tasted the scummy top (just a little) and it seemed okay too...

Yeast was WLP810 San Fran lager on its 3rd generation.

Latest posts

Back