Tasmanian Micro Breweries

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhan7073

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm planning to go to Tassie in February and I was wondering if anyone could recommend a few good micro breweries. I'm going to be going close enough to just about anywhere.

Thanks,

Mic

Hi,

I'm planning to go to Tassie in February and I was wondering if anyone could recommend a few good micro breweries. I'm going to be going close enough to just about anywhere.

Thanks,

Mic

Definitely Moo Brew. Main Rd Berriedale Tas. moobrew.com.au

And don't forget to shout a beer for Priscilla the pig at the Pyengana Hotel.

A bit off topic but also while there check out the cheese factory and distillery nearby. Also near Woodbridge south of Hobart check out the sheep dairy cheese. Go the wine washed rind cheddar.

Hi,

Thanks,

Mic

A bit off topic but also while there check out the cheese factory and distillery nearby. Also near Woodbridge south of Hobart check out the sheep dairy cheese. Go the wine washed rind cheddar.

Hi,

Just got back from a week down there. Didn't go to any micros but did have Moo Pils in the Royal on George in Launceston and a couple of Hazards Ales at the Royal Oak also in Launceston. Both beers were excellent. BTW did the Boags tour, $25 dollars, takes about an hour and a half with the tasting. It's not all that informative and you only get a mouthful of 4 brews (Premium, Premium Light, Draught and Strong Arm) at the end.

cheers

Patrick.

I might pass on the Boag brewery tour then. Has anyone done the Cascade tour? Is it any better?

Thanks for the responses so far. Any more are very welcome.

Has anyone done the Cascade tour? Is it any better?

Yep, done the Cascade Tour.

Not too bad, the main brewery bit is a pretty standard brewery tour. with lots of basic "how does brewing work?" type info and packaging machines that spin around in an impressive kind of way.... but Cascade malts its own grain and the tour includes the Maltworks. That was pretty interesting.

I seem to recall there being 3 beers (full glasses) at the end of the tour and they had the amber and the blond on tap as well as the standards. Cafe/restaraunt food half decent if you want to eat with your beers.

Moo Brew is worth a look. Slick winery, restaraunt, accomodation etc and attached Micro brewery with pretty good beer and a brewer willing to chat about it. There is also a fairly impressive museum there with a good collection of egyptian artifacts, if that sort of thing rings your bell.

Have Fun

Thirsty

Got gifted a bottle of the Moobrew Hefe today.
Is it something I should be holding on to and savouring or just get it down me ?
Great bottle and label BTW.

Doc

A hefe won't last I reckon Doc, get into it.

I had a Moo Pale at the Australian a few weeks back. Great beer and the bottle impressed too.

I loved the moo brew, I tried the pils, the pale and the wheat and they were all far better beers than either of the two main Tasmanian breweries.

however, i thought the boags tour was worthwhile, even if only to see the bottling equipment at work. it's probably the computer/robot geek side of me showing through, but watching a zillion bottles an hour being cleaned, filled, capped and pasteurised was very impressive.

if you want to do the cascade tour, call ahead. tried going a couple of weeks ago, and couldnt get in when i wanted. its worth seeing the old building as much as the actual brewery.

definitely hit moo brew. best brews in the state. knopwoods in salamanca usually has the pale on tap.

dark isle brews are made at brew by you, a brew-on-premises also in glenorchy. while not as good as moo brew you can see the operation in action. their own beers are extract and are done alongside the bop stuff.

if up on the east coast, wine glass bay brewery is in bicheno. dont know much else about them, but their beers are ok. the dark ale has a bit more oomph.
joe

Another thumbs up for moo brew, well at least their pale ale which is a very nice american style pale ale, and bottle conditioned too (another yeast for my bank).

Cheers :)

I'm not sure if you can tour them or even if they have a bar, but try here www.2mt.com.au

also ties in with the recent hops/moo brew threads. I am told they are operating out of an oast house in the Derwent valley, near New Norlfolk.

Their pale ale is pretty decent I was given a few bottles as free samples. :p

My first post here... :)

Just got back from 10 days touring the South & East Coast of Tassie

Would definitely recommend calling into the Peppermint Bay Pub (Woodbridge ..South of Hobart). They have MooBrew "Hefeweizen" (wheat beer) on tap. Only serve it in a pint glass!!!. Bloody marvellous!!! :)

Several of the local pubs on Salamanca (Hobart) also have boutique beers on tap. The weekend we were there the annual beer festival was on...You just can't help bad luck :p

BTW..Nice looking site

glad you enjoyed the tour. beer selection has certainly picked up with more pubs carrying at least one micro/craft beer on tap.
hope you got plenty of sunscreen at the beerfest ;)

Was in Hobart in Oct for a week of white water rafting and abseiling (work ;) ) and enjoyed it so much heading back in two weeks for two weeks.
Although its chrissy and new years there will still be some trips to the breweries etc, if only for a taste and some gear. :)
Rang through already and they said they will still be doing limited tours so we'll see how I go.

Any other places of interest (slightly OT I know), when I was there we visited Boags (no tour), the choc and cheese factories but that was about it. Made sure while I was there though to grab some of the local brews and really enjoyed the Moo Brew Pale.

Will visit Taste of Tassie. Planning on spending time throughout the state, camping around the place so few days here few days there, any really nice pubs to recommend for both Beer & meals ?

Yep, Moorilla is the most worthwhile visit in the Hobart area. SWMBO can check out the wines, and you can taste all the beers fresh. They sometimes have seasonal brews on tap at the bar. The stout I had was killer.

If you're looking for a good guide on Tassie Micros, check out Willie Simpson's New Book "Australian Beer Companion" - Has a good list in it in the Tasmanian section (he also gives his new brewery in west tassie a bit of a plug). Also handy for a flick through at the bookstore if you're considering a trip to other states too as they cover most of the country with plenty of details on each brewery. No affiliation yada yada, just thought I'd mention it for the beer tourists.

Hopper.

I've not visited but have been told Seven Sheds (Willie Simpson's brewery) is worth a look.
It's not beer but the Lark Distillery on the docks in Hobart is worth a visit.

Latest posts

Back