Taps Mooloolaba

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So what would you pay on average for say a pot sized beer?

At Taps? If I remember correctly, the beers ranged between $8-9 a pint, depending on the beer. I've paid the same for a pint at the pig and whistle when it was open, so it's a pretty good price. The beach bar and grill up the road have little creatures, stone and wood, 4 pines etc for $6 a schooner, and hop hog for $7. Much more reasonable then what our big city brethren down the road pay...

Yeah, a couple of my mates were there the other night and said they both really struggled to pour without losing half the glass to foam.
Great concept though, and great to see innovation for a crafty beer haunt here on the coast..... Can't wait to give it a try myself!!!

OB

I went for lunch last friday and just got the staff to pour my beers - no wastage that way.. and I'm used to pouring my own beers at home, if I'm going to cough up for it, I'd prefer to be served! Beer selection is OK, similar to beach bar & grill around the corner (not quite as good as - and also about $1 dearer / schooner).

The food was very good, they have habanero wings with varying levels of heat (don't be a pussy, get the "5") they were just served with sour cream, some blue cheese sauce would have been better. the chips were unreal. scallops were good too.

I just saw on facebook that they have a lager on tap from 'red bay brewery' which I understand is an extract BOP type operation. Beats me why a venue would buy kegs of extract beer unless they just didn't know the difference. /puzzled.

Liam_snorkel said:
I went for lunch last friday and just got the staff to pour my beers - no wastage that way.. and I'm used to pouring my own beers at home, if I'm going to cough up for it, I'd prefer to be served! Beer selection is OK, similar to beach bar & grill around the corner (not quite as good as - and also about $1 dearer / schooner).The food was very good, they have habanero wings with varying levels of heat (don't be a pussy, get the "5") they were just served with sour cream, some blue cheese sauce would have been better. the chips were unreal. scallops were good too.I just saw on facebook that they have a lager on tap from 'red bay brewery' which I understand is an extract BOP type operation. Beats me why a venue would buy kegs of extract beer unless they just didn't know the difference. /puzzled.
Is this the Lighthouse Lager or something like that? I tried it a few weeks back and thought, "geez, that tastes like one of my brews"...

I have never been there but plan to do so one day soon & am sure that I'm assured of a nice session.
Almost got in there one Friday night but no dice as it was full so went around the corner past the old MacClardie's & the piccy theatre on the front to some bar that sells lots of Aussie Crafts upstairs.
Forgotten the name of the place but a lovely view of a Colourbond roof instead of the bay might be a clue? :p
Can anyone jog my memory? Not that it matters as it's easy enough to find again if needed. :D

:icon_offtopic:
As an aside, just went to Teneriffe Brewing Co a few days ago with a well-known ex-near-local on this forum who now resides south of the border (Poor bugger & Go The Maroons for 9-in-a-row in 2014! LOL!) & we both agree it's the top-notch craft beer spot in North Brissie ATM. :super: Going back there ASAP ASAP.

Huge shame the Geronimo is gone. We need that recipe Rudi! Please help mate.

Just re-read Post 24 & it looks like the Beach Bar & Grill is sitting where the Silver Sands Café used to be so that might be the one I've mentioned? Will have a Captain Cook.
Has been years since I bothered looking around those M'ba tourist traps to (Hopefully) find an alternative to those PITA train trips to those Brissie craft brew nirvanas? :p

You've got a couple of venues near you now Pete, haven't you?

The only ones I know of are the two mentioned above plus SCB plus the Brew & Bake at the Big P Winkle. I think there's a place in Caloundra somewhere but haven't bothered looking as yet.
In spite of my whinging above about the (time-consuming) train trips I'm always happy to nip down to the Valley & do the Teneriffe circuit and\or Archive & town via the City Glider. :icon_drool2:

Just a question for the locals, what sort of taps are they using?
I've always found that any standard commerical taps need to be 100% on or off.
A lot of people get scared of the flow coming out of them and only pull them on halfway, thus frothing the beer to no end.

Mutaneer said:
Just a question for the locals, what sort of taps are they using?
I've always found that any standard commerical taps need to be 100% on or off.
A lot of people get scared of the flow coming out of them and only pull them on halfway, thus frothing the beer to no end.
Not sure of the exact make, but I reckon you're spot on. The first time I went, it was pretty quiet, and old mate behind the bar offered to come and give me a lesson. I've seen a few people walking away with large glasses of foam.

Up from Melbs for a golf weekend.
Hitting up Taps tonight, looking forward to it.
Will give a run down later.

CF

Great place.
If in mooloolaba, go here !

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1401447996.491207.jpg

CF

A bit of an update on what's on at taps tonight!

Bacchus white choc pils - something different and gets good comments when sharing around on the 1st mouthfull, but milk and beer gets hard work by the end of a schooner!

Sunny coast best bitter - really easy drinking, went down a treat. Nice hit of diaceytal (which I'm into), works well with the light body and hops. good one.

Vale lager - pours a rocky head. A cut above a mega lager, more malt and some hop flavour coming through.

Quiet deeds ipa- this is where I'm at tonight! Nice biscuit malt with all the hops in support, and still able to taste the goodness after a couple. Well balanced and drinkable.

Pouring as well - hop hog, two birds sunset, s & w pacific and holgate mt Macedon pale ale

A bit of an update on what's on at taps tonight!

Bacchus white choc pils - something different and gets good comments when sharing around on the 1st mouthfull, but milk and beer gets hard work by the end of a schooner!

Sunny coast best bitter - really easy drinking, went down a treat. Nice hit of diaceytal (which I'm into), works well with the light body and hops. good one.

Vale lager - pours a rocky head. A cut above a mega lager, more malt and some hop flavour coming through.

Quiet deeds ipa- this is where I'm at tonight! Nice biscuit malt with all the hops in support, and still able to taste the goodness after a couple. Well balanced and drinkable.

Pouring as well - hop hog, two birds sunset, s & w pacific and holgate mt Macedon pale ale

Up to the Sunny Coast the see the old man next week, very keen to have a look at this joint and will report back if I get there (99% chance I will)

Are there any other good watering holes/bottle shops (Would like to avoid Dan's if possible!) offering good craft beer on the Coast??

Cheers Jefin

Around the corner facing the beach - mooloolaba beach bar & grill. Usually has a 4 pines single batch on tap and a few other crafties. For bottles there's nowhere that I can think of, other than the sunshjne coast brewery itself, definitely worth a visit. There's also a nanobrewery at the big pineapple called brewbake which fills growlers.

If you come to Caloundra, which you should, regardless of beer choice, there's Drift Bar at Bulcock Beach, Sunny's @ Moffat Beach and Saltwater on Kings Beach. They don't have large selections of craft beers, I've had a few at each of those places, but I couldn't guarantee they would still have them. However, they have settings to die for.

The Coast seems to be lacking a bit when it comes to craft beer.

As for liquor outlets, It's either Dan's at Kawana, or 1st Choice at Sippy Downs. You could try smaller ones and you might be lucky.

Latest posts

Back